1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Case Fan Stopped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam12301, 24 Dec 2010.

1. sam12301

sam12301 What's a Dremel?

Hi, yesterday i noticed that 1 of my case fans had just stopped for no reason.

Just a few things to let you know which may help solve the problem, I havent overclocked my cpu,My case is the XCLIO 1000 (the fan that has stopped is the front fan on the top of the case), the fan spins on its own if i give it a little push but it doesnt spin at full speed unless i push it a little harder, the speed all depends how hard i push it.

Can any please suggest any solutions? thanks

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Is it connected to a fan controller or the PSU? If so, check any automatic speeed controls. Otherwise, it's probably just on the blink. You could try blowing any dust out of it or re-lubricating it (most fans can be disassembled by removing the sticker and taking off the washer holding the main assembly onto the shaft).

3. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Quite simply, your fan is fooked!

For the sake of a few quid, and not needing to fanny around cleaning, blowing and prodding it into life, replace with a new one.

4. j.col

j.col Minimodder

also agree that a replacement is needed.

5. sam12301

kk thanks for saying replace it, to answer you question hitman012 its connected to a speed controller.

6. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

In this case try swapping a working fan round just to test if it's the controller. Saves the agro of replacing the fan and finding out it was a dying regulator or something.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it sounds like a fooked fan, if spinning by hand brings it to life, if it was controller, it still wouldnt spin unless you kept spinning it by hand

8. sam12301

i tried swapping it over to a working fan connector on the controller and it still wont spin without giving it a push