1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HIS launches PCI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Dec 2010.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Why should new PC's not include PCI slots? I've not seen a motherboard yet that has completely eradicated the legacy PCI bus because there are still many, many, MANY expansion cards that rely on the PCI bus. PCI-E isn't widespread and affordable enough yet to do away with PCI entirely.

As for the card, I too have had myriad issues with running more than two displays with Windows 7. From ATI Eyefinity requiring specific configurations and Vista/7 hating old PCI cards, a PCI card with a current generation GPU at an affordable price is an awfully attractive offer for those wanting a wall of TFT :)

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Now if nvidia could do this with one of their low end cards some more useless slots on my motherboard could find a use folding.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Quite useful. Speaking of which, I want slap AMD/Sapphire in the face for making the HD6850 only capable of displaying 2 displays via DVI+HDMI, and requiring me to get a DP adapter if I want to have 3 displays.

4. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

I've said this before, but if there was an easy way of doing 3 monitors using 2x DVI + 1x HDMI, I'm sure both ATI and Nvidia would have done it by now as it would increase the sales of whichever card(s) could do it by quite a lot. Offering 3rd monitor support using display port is better than having to get a 2nd graphics card...

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

how would this card compare with my 7950gt 512mb?

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well seeing as it is 80SPs, it's a bit slower than the 120SP HD3650(even with arch enhancements, it can't get THAT much better). So a shot in the dark would say that it's slower than a 8600GT/8600GTS, making it pretty much equal/slower than your 7950GT if I recall correctly.

If I'm wrong then feel free to correct me, I'm merely making educated guesses here.

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

sounds fair, I will stick with what I've got for now then

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

nothing new this week? or is everybody on vacation? am I the only one who is working? :worried:

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

This is actually a solid idea for anyone with an old computer and an empty PCI slot. I'd love to see more products like this. I love fanless graphics cards as well. They don't seem to show up that often but when they do, I take notice.

10. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Would these be any good for hardware encoding? I have some servers that we want to use for video encoding overnight when there is minimal load on them, but they only have 2 x PCI slots and no PCI-E slots.

11. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

do you reckon it will be any good for folding?
    ive got a cashebox with a mini-itx (VIA C3 CPU) and it only got 1 PCI slot! im going to use it as a download server, but i can get another which could be use for folding! any ideas?

12. m91

m91 What's a Dremel?

When will this be available in the UK? Currently it is only available in the US and Canada. I got a Dell Dimension 3000 that needs upgrading.

Tags: Add Tags