1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Cleaning my PC, sounds stupid... seems to matter.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hrodwulf666, 28 Dec 2010.

1. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Im just curious due to my ignorance of how best to clean my PC and how often? what are the best products and what are the do's and dont's? Im scared of sticking my domestic vacuum cleaner in there so to speak. What are the rules for Desktops and LCD screens??

Please gents... advise...

2. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Don't scrape the nozzle against anything - bad idea.

I use a vaccum cleaner on my pc, but the thing is old and I don't particularly care.

On new and expensive kit I use compressed air - any one will do for me, but for the heatsinks alone - a vacuum cleaner should be fine - but stuck dirt may require a quick blast of air to loosen it.

3. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

Inside of case, compressed air is best and all you need. Maybe a decent loss-free paint brush for hard to reach places.

For the case, depends hugely on finish of the case, metal, plastics and other gloss finishes may vary.

The LCD, you can buy all sorts of TFT cleaning wipes, they all do much the same, once clean, keep it dust free with a lint free cloth, like a glass or lens cleaning cloth which you can prob find cheaper than a TFT specific one.

Keyboards and mice, you can use anything that doesnt damage the surface of the plastic, and then compressed air fot the 'bits' inside and out of reach.

Should be nice and sparkly after that.

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

If you've got a Cooler Master case or any other one with ventilated grilles at the front then you can use a vac on that no problem, but you might still have to pop out the bay covers and batter out any more dust that built up on the sponge padding.

On the case where it's built up on the side panel/window around a side fan, any old tissue/dusting cloth will do, but for clear side windows kitchen towel dabbed in water if you want to keep it chemical-free.

5. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

I have an Antec Three Hundred, the front of the case is easy enough but it literally is the components that I worry about, Ill be buying some compressed air then and some wipes!
    Thanks all, I can back off with the vacuum now!

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

All you need is:
    - Microfiber cloth
    - Product to clean the the LCD (if needed)
    - Can of compressed air.

Use the compressed air to get out dust and dirt between keys on your keyboard and inside the your computer. Don't forget to glow air in the heatsink of your graphic card, and power supply. It can be quiet dusty in there.

AVOID having the fan spin out of control by the compress air. If the fan spins to fast, the fan will break. Holding the fan with your finger is all you need to avoid fan damage.

Use the microfiber cloth to clean the inside of the case, and top of your optical drive and HDD. As well as the rest that needs cleaning, including your screen if needed (use the screen product with it to avoid scratching the LCD. Clean the LCD FIRST before anything else, to void having the cloth catch a hard dust particle which may scratch your screen during cleaning)

Then, gently clean the fan blades, and fen rectangle holder for optimal air flow, and optimal sound reduction made by the air passing through.

Why clean the inside your computer?
    - The outside, doesn't really mater per say. It's just to have things clean.
    - The outside case does mater if your case has an air filter to clean out to allow more fresh air in your computer.
    - As for the inside, as your computer sucks air in and release it out on the back. The result is that dust accumulate on the fan, circuit boards, and heatsink fins. As dust is a heat isolator, this is really bad for your computer. It can make your computer overheat, making the fans spins even faster (max speed), and if it's not enough, it will immediately shut-down on you or freeze, to prevent hardware failure. Compress air can is the ideal method to remove dust. Vacuuming the inside of your computer will create static that will attract more dust, or even perform an electric diss-charge will break a or several of your computer hardware. It's fine to use the vacuum outside your case or clean the case air filter (if any).

Once it's all done, be sure to vacuum your room, and remove the dust everywhere, to ensure that the dust won't come back all in.