1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hands on with the MSI Wind Pad 100W

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Dec 2010.

1. JustLeigh

JustLeigh What's a Dremel?

I am failing to see the point of a WEB cam on the backside of the pad, how is that gonna help with video calls? Have I missed something here?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I'd hoped Netbooks would be the breakthrough for Linux...
    alas Microsoft stroke back swiftly.

And I have to say WinXP runs great on a netbook

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Android x86 anyone??

2GB of memory and a dual-core should make it FLYYYY

WinXP: great on a netbook, TERRIBLE on a tablet!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

It has a dual-core, doesn't it?

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

+1
    The only microsoft OS worth considering for a touch-only interface is win7, and that at a push.

6. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

yup but it seems this device is getting thumbs down just because of the choice of the OS. so what are we tuhmbing down here really? the device or the OS?

Sure Windows 7 (or any other desktop Windows) isn't made for touch but Windows 7 does support touch and multitouch natively and the redesign of the taskbar includes support for touch (like swipe up on the taskbar buttons to get at the jumplist menu, you can even try it with a regular mouse works the same - press and holde left mouse button on a taskbar item then drag upwards).

And as far as I could tell from the video there was no issue with selecting things from the start menu.
    I've had issues with clicking on very small things on Android as well so you have to be careful where you push on the screen. At least with a resistive screen I can use my finger nail as a sort of stylus, on a capacitiv screen you are left with your big finger tip no stylus option for increased precision there.

so again: what are you guys dissatisfied with really?

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why are so many trying to make comparison with this and Android and iOS when they are both phone OS?

As for Linux, that's already been tried and failed with netbooks.

I'd wait for the Windows Phone 7 version tablets/pads before jumping to another OS.

From my own personal experience, I'm still struggling to justifying the reason for my iPad. Would I have wanted a windows based alternative, probably yes but I still can't justify it's use other than a quick browsing tool.

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Just wondering which bit of Objective C didn't you like?

And what part of Xcode and it's GUI didn't you like?

Nearly forgot ... and Interface Builder ... you didn't like that?

9. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

I gather Canonical has put a lot of research into the Touch Interface support for their netbook edition of Ubuntu.
    But the state of development for the Intel integrated graphics is pretty dire. So the device would have to have an Nvidia ION chipset to be half-useable. Also third-party support can be an issue (Adobe flash is still a bit more processor intensive on the Linux side).
    I don't think people realise just how much Microsoft is strong-arming manufactures to exclusively sell Windows boxes and laptops. I gather that Dell's Intel 'subsidy' has been replaced by a Microsoft 'subsidy' (following AMD's law suite).

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

=] he got cocoa touched and went racist

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We are dissatisfied with the OS. Windows 7 can accommodate some touch but is not really designed for it. It is also resource hungry, sucking up CPU power and battery life.

Because they are both mobile device OS's. Which is what you need.

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"Because they are both mobile device OS's. Which is what you need."

Why compare it to a full OS then? Windows 7 is not a phone OS. I'm sure if you put Windows 7 on an iPad, it wouldn't work anywhere as close as this Windpad. That's not the OS's fault, it's the hardware it's been put on. That's why the iPad works so well, it can't do anything worthwhile, so it just works.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Frankly it hasnt been until last year i've saw a touch only laptop. Plenty of tablet ones that have a keyboard, our lectures use them on a daily basis but nothing in the way of touch only.

Anyway, whats to stop the linux community developing a full OS for touch devices? Look at how quick they jumped on other input devices oooooo say kinect so touch shouldn't be a problem. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ubuntu adopted it with their "netbook" version.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Having tried ubuntu on my pen-based convertible (portege m200) a few months ago I can tell you that it is far less usable than even XP Tablet without a keyboard, never mind Vista or 7.

Of course there's no reason why the community couldn't develop better support, but the fact is that they haven't. They may do, in a few months or years but until then it is not really a viable os for a touch-only interface and MSI can't just release a product with linux on it and hope that eventually it becomes usable.

PS. Bindi's had the best suggestion so far - Android X86 would've been a better choice.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But your not buying a bare bones device your buying a package and windows is part of that package just like iOS is part of the iPad package. If a phone os works better on a tablet (which it seems too) then its a more than fair comparison. You want a full os to do full os stuff use a full sized computer.

16. handel

handel What's a Dremel?

Umm... is now about the right time to break it to everyone that this is running two year old tech, so they probably shouldn't be surprised about sluggish performance?

It's got an Atom Z530. It's last gen. It's NOT dual core. It's got exactly the same processing performance as the N270 Atoms.

I'm warming hugely to the tablet idea and would love an efficient x86 one (so I had the flexibility to run all my current apps etc) but the technology just is not there at the moment. The newer Atoms are 'better' I'm sure but I can't say I'm well enough informed now to know the TDPs etc off the top of my head.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is compared to a 'full' OS (and you really have to tell me one day what you mean by that. Every time I ask people who shout that iOS is not a "full OS", they suddenly become very coy on the subject. If you cannot explain the difference, your distinction is invalid) because that is what has been installed on the Wind Pad (seriously, and then they say iPad is a stupid name). Basically we are saying that a OS for mobile devices is more appropriate for a Tablet than an OS designed for full-powered desktops.

It is the fault of neither hardware or software. You cannot expect a tablet device to have the same power as a desktop PC --unless you are happy for it to weigh at least 3lbs and have a three hour battery life. It is the fault of a bad matching of OS to hardware and application by people who want to have their cake and eat it. Every time it happens the product fails: see the HP Slate. When the OS is matched to the hardware and its application well, we have a success: see the iPhone, iPad and Windows PCs.

Meanwhile the iPad is selling rather well for a device that "cannot do anything worthwhile". Perhaps you'd like to do CAD/CAM design on it, or do programming, or play Crysis. I would argue that a desktop PC may be more suitable for programming and design, and a console better for playing games, while an iPad is really good for web access, e-reading and light, casual gaming. It is again about matching the application to the most suitable device.

18. handel

handel What's a Dremel?

Nexxo - I would go along to a degree (and agree with your OS definition etc) but I think that innovation in software is so much easier than the same in hardware.

The reason this, the HP slate, the Joojoo etc will/have fail/failed is because they are trying to use hardware which is not fit for purpose. Look at the iPad as an example of having a perfectly matched form and indeed hardware architecture (custom A4 et al). As an aside, even if the hardware was fantastic on these x86 behemoths, they would still fall down for not providing a good user experience at the software level.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Ubuntu/7 on a tablet shouldn't be a disaster given the appropriate development - the former in particular can be made extremely flexible and tbh I'm happy to roll my own if it comes to it. For geeks like me it's the lack of quality hardware that really irks me.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

What's to stop MSI paying one of their engineers to develop touch on a flavour of linux anyway? While android would be a good choice ultimately your gonna end up with sony syndrome where your left with a good device that is held back because manufacturers are too lazy to release the update. The example I'm thinking of is the xperia x10 that's still 1.6 last time I looked with 2.1 promised yet now we're moving to 3.0! A good device gimped by an older OS and sony have yet to keep the promise of an upgrade. This happens right across the android market, look how many 1.6 devices where released last year like the dell streak. The effort that goes into the custom UI and making it work would be better spend adding touch to linux and then letting the developer community run riot. Android and even ios will soon have the problem of windows with higher security threats being developed. After all every man and his dog has an iphone these days.
    While android is a good idea unfortunately manufacturers manage ti ruin it when they get their grubble little hands on it.

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Aye, android has its own (fairly big) problems, I just wasn't sure that would apply to the x86 flavour too.

Tags: Add Tags