1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals 360 Controller not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Naseem, 31 Dec 2010.

1. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

Hi all,

Wasn't quite sure whether to put this in Gaming or hardware, but I suppose seeing as it's the controller (i think) at fault I'll put it here.

I bought a 360 wired pc controller a couple of years back and it worked fine under Vista 64bit. I've upgraded to Win7 64bit now and thought I'd reinstall HAWX (for a change of scene) and dug out the controller to play it with.

I've installed latest drivers via MS site, but the problem is that it keeps sticking during gameplay. And by this I don't mean physically, just virtually. keyboard works fine, but when I use the controller it doesn't seem to register more than one button at a time and it think I'm holding a button down for a few seconds. Last time I tried I wouldn't let me level out of a barrel roll because it thought I'd held the stick to the left. When I tried countering with the keyboard it just kept trying to roll back left.

It worked fine a few years ago and it's just been sat in a cupboard (and a box during house move) so as far as I'm aware it hasn't been dropped/damaged). Any ideas, is this a common problem?

Google doesn't seem to think it's common, besides buttons actually (physically) sticking.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

First off, get rid of that manual driver and let windows fetch it for you.

3. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

That's what I did first, and because I had the problem I decided to download the driver. BTW, windows didn't recognise it as a 360 controller but a generic one, only after manual driver install did it come up as 360 controller.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Weird, is it a genuine microsoft one?

You can always tell Device Manager to install that particular driver for you even if it doesn't recognise the device properly.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

thats strange windows 7 normally picks up 360 controller for windows, and install driver automatically

6. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

Well that's what I thought. I might try uninstalling and starting again.

7. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

An interesting twist...

Just thought I'd try it with Black Ops (always kb&m for this) and it seems to work as I suppose it should, can aim, move and fire without any technical difficulties.

Must be the game then right?

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

hmm maybe, i have found a couple of games where you have to setup the controller

9. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

Odd, I after trying it in Black Ops it seems to be working correctly in HAWX. I didn't need to set it up, 360 controller has default settings in the game.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh yeah, it could very well be HAWX, i don't know why i didn't think of that... try it on any multiplatform game, they pretty much all have native 360 controller support.

11. Naseem

Naseem Archaic

Anyway, it works now, so thanks for all you help guys.

Happu New Year!