1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center Hell - S.M.A.R.T. drive failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by mutznutz, 31 Dec 2010.

1. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

Greetings

My computer has been the bane of my life for a few weeks now. First the PSU stopped working. Then once that was replaced the stupid thing would take literary half an hour to shut down and can take 5 minutes to rename a folder on my data drive. Something is screwed.

Yesterday I attempted to reload a fresh install of windows on a spare drive, did a windows update transfered files across so it was all setup and ready to go again. As soon as I opened Media Center I got the shutdown issues again

When I remove Media Center from the installed windows features list the machine shuts down as it should. :wallbash:

The problem I have is that I use my Xbox 360 as an extender so need the media center to be working, after all why shouldn't it?

Any ideas much appreciated

Andrew

For Information

====== Stuff I've tried so far =========

CCleaner - Clean and Registry Fixes
    Defrag all drives
    Chkdsk all disks
    Anti Virus - eset
    Shutting down all non essential services
    Removed the TV Card in case that was causing conflicts (Most recent hardware change)
    Complete fresh rebuild on separate hard drive

Last edited: 2 Jan 2011
  2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

which version of windows, i'm either going blind or you didnt include it

3. mutznutz

Apologies it's Windows 7 64bit

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have a look at this and see if it applies, it maybe be an issue with a corrupted wav file, since you have had a psu failure, i am only guessing at moment though, so please come back if it isnt of help.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Mutz, how are you networking? that's all that springs to mind. Since I stopped relying on WIFI via hub, things have improved for me by quite a lot. I'm using the netgear homeplug powerline stuff.

6. martinjm

martinjm What's a Dremel?

I also found TVersity a much better piece of software IMHO than media centre which also gives the benefit of if your Xbox can't play the movie because it doesn't like the codec TVersity will convert it on the fly for you. And I also agree with Landy_Ed about using homeplug - ever since moving to that from wifi I can even stream large HD movies with absolutely no problems/dropped frames (try doing that with wifi and a kitchen in the way).

Also, have you tried running an anti-malware program? Malwarebytes generally seems to work well.

M.

7. mutznutz

ok quick update

I applied the suggested hotfix and it didn't sort it unfortunately

Also the removal of the media center software seemed to be a red herring as I attempted that on the old drive and it worked for a single boot and then stopped again

I'm using a 100Mbit wired switch to connect to the XBox, although all these issues occur when the Xbox is off anyway, I was worried about streaming content as you suggested so did it properly first :)

I use eset for my antivirus etc, just done a quick scan with the malwarebytes programme and found nothing on that. I'll leave it go and do a full scan in a sec

I'm tempted to swap the motherboard out and see if that does anything not many other things in hardware/software I've got left to try.

A huge thank-you so far guys, although its not sorted it nice to get some more useful things that I can try

8. mutznutz

Quick Update...

... while I did chkdsks on both drives twice, I hadn't done any SMART drive testing. Windows told me this evening as I was doing some backing up that my data drive was experiencing a SMART failure so I'm in the process of replacing that drive. Hopefully that will end all my problems. I shall let you all know anyway

Bit annoying as the drive is only a few months old, but thats why I bought another one at the same time in case this happened

9. mutznutz

Just been through the Samsung diagnostic process which involves an initial test followed by a low level drive format (If it fails) ... and if it fails after that then you can RMA the drive ... which is what I'm doing

Swapped out the spare drive I had here and it now works a charm, just hope the Samsung people are good with their returns department

Cheers

Andrew

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

in future if you want to test for any HDD for failure use seatools for dos

boot it up and run a short test if it fails the the drive is dying. its very quick test to do

to be honest im not a fan of SMART

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

If the drive is less than a year old, should it not be the retailer rather than manufacturer that provides warranty service?

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

correct the retailer should honour it for 12 months minimum, although technuically with EU law it should be 2 years but seems a bit grey area that.

generally though if its up to a year the drive should be sent back to retailer no harm in using samsung RMA instead though

13. mutznutz

I was just cutting out the middleman with going straight to Samsung I could have done either, I figure they would just have to send it back there anyway :)

Its just something I've always done with Hard Drives, send them back to manufacturer