1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft denies Kinect for PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's nice to see that Microsoft remains obstinately blind to business opportunities. But the Kinect is already hacked for Windows, so it's a non-issue. :D

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh look, a fanboysaurus

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'd be interested to read more about the Asus device, mentioned in the article, when released.

6. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Oh yeah, well Asus first party titles pwn them all!

7. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

The Kinect is actually far superior to the Wiimote and the PS move, and will leap further ahead when MS upgrade the firmware to unlock the full speed USB for the kinect to track finger movements. I might eventually buy a 360 + kinect, unless the kinect gets better PC support(officially or not) then I might get it for my PC.

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Lol, yeah very much so.

Cant see why anyone would use Kinect to game with on a PC anyway, KB & mouse / gamepad would be much more suitable in most cases.

9. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't use this for gaming but it would be awesome as a motion capture device in indie development (well at least my imaginary version would be)

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It would be yet another input method which would be great. Controlling XBMC just by doing hand signals? Would be awesome^8

11. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

This coupled with a 3d compatible display could be awesome. Imagine an OS like the one in Minority Report. Fancy NOT incorporating it into your OS.. seems like an opportunity missed to me, especially when you see some o fthe MS techdemos on 3d interactions and stuff...

12. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to more on the ASUS thing - perhaps a guide on how to actually pronounce Wavi Xtion ?

13. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Must be up for worst name of the year already which is impressive seeing as we are only 4 days in!

14. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Gaming? I'm sure most people here would be more interested in some sort of new interface tech, Eg Minority report. Although the list could be endless.
    Such as a device to accompany programs. Just like the TrackIR does.

But either way whats wrong with expanding the PC market? It's narrow minded views like that which diminish the format.

15. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

They've given far more assistance to getting Kinect working on the PC than a lot of other [ahem] firms would've done in the same position.

16. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Disagree, MS has done as poor a job for PC with kinect and in general considering their position in the windows PC space.

17. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Why is M$ so hell bent on ignoring ALL other gaming platforms, including pc's running their own os, other than their own Xbox...

...damn!

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

More limited? You mean it is a limiting factor that you do NOT have to run around with a glowing ***** in your hand for it to work?

Facts are only facts when they are supported by citations. Please do elaborate?

Have you ever seen the Wii motion-thingy or the PS3 moving-*****-thingy used for a pc? The sole fact that Microsoft haven't released an update for Windows banning the use of the Kinect on a PC is a great step.

19. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

no buttons, voice recognition limited, the games it can work with are very limited in scope. can't playa game like Socom, killzone with kinect. Its also very sensitive picking up fast movements, meaning it doesn't, its also the laggiest of the 3. Only so much you can do with no inpuit, buttons, and limited tracking. See kinect games for examples.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh sure, like you'd stand up in front of your monitor, wave around like a happy freak, and slap the back of your hand on your case or something. Microsoft made the better decision to dent it, PC gaming isn't for movement. If you want to, get a console*.

*PC's are still far superior in (normal) gaming.

Tags: Add Tags