1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge launch was pointless

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 4 Jan 2011.

1. veato

veato I should be working

Why on any article relating to a new piece of hardware, particularly a GOOD piece of hardware, does someone inevitably comment "well I'm happy with what I've got anyway...."

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Well it drops processor pricing by about 30%, that should help. Also uses a lot less power, which is always good.
    But yes, a processor without GPU is what would suit most gamers best.
    And everyone that upgraded in the last year or so won't be compelled to shift.

Normally you'd get a full 100% ACK.
    Unless, as in this case, the replacemend "Medium Part" actually beats the former "Performance Part".
    The i5-2500K is 30% off the i7-950 while at/above it's performance...don't ask me, I don't understand it either. :D

3. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

I guess they wanted some news time to themselves before CES.
    Where a chip launch would be lost in all the paper thin tv's and other shiny things. Which makes sense...just a pity they didn't think about it earlier!

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The underlying comment there is "It's not a big enough jump in performance to justify buying". In other words, whatever the new product is, it's only an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, step.

Or in other words, It's better, but not $300 worth of better.

7. Empgamer

Empgamer What's a Dremel?

I shall be getting my i5 2500K and P8P67 Pro ASAP :)

8. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Could it be that Intel is still trying to decide what exactly to call these CPUs?

"The next generation Core i CPUs" doesn't quite cut it. Or maybe, Core i2xxxx i3/i5/i7

9. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

They should just call it the i9.

Not that I care all that much about processors any more anyway. I'm still going perfectly strong with my old overclocked C2D. While 99.9999% of PC games these days are gimped down to console levels, I have no need to upgrade anyway. Battlefield Bad Company 2, Mafia 2, Fallout New Vegas, and currently playing "Two Worlds 2" - I crank the hell out of all of them and still get good frame rates, even on this old cpu. So I have no need to upgrade. It's the only upside to the horrible situation gaming is in these days.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  10. Alistair Kemp

Alistair Kemp What's a Dremel?

I work for Intel in the UK and just wanted to clarify a couple of points. The embargo for the reviews was brought forward to Monday so that the reviews could be made public prior to today's official launch at CES. This was a last minute change, and while it was unfortunate it was also sadly unavoidable. As the person who had to let James know, it was a difficult thing to do - it caused problems and I personally acknowledge that and can say that we are sensitive to the feedback, and while I'm not in a position to give any guarantees, we will try and learn from this experience.

Today's launch confirmed 2nd Generation Core availability as from January 9th – meaning you will be able to buy products with these processors, many of which were announced by our partners today as well, from that day. As such we would argue that this is not a paper launch. We're really proud of our new processors and the work we and our partners have done to ensure they are available at launch, and look forward to your feedback on the products in the coming months.

Alistair Kemp, Intel UK PR Manager

Tags: Add Tags