1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Problems with windows 7 re-install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joshwah, 4 Jan 2011.

1. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

Hi

I hope this is in the correct forum. Recently my main desktop machine started running somewhat sluggish with no explanation so I decide to do a re-install of my os as it had been on since windows 7 had come out over a year ago.

So I went through the usual process of backing up then proceeded to boot from the cd wipe my o.s drive and start the reinstall. This all went fine until after the second reboot were my screen suddenly went black and no longer outputted any picture. Now the machine still ran during this process but was giving me no picture.

Googling showed I didn't seem to be the only person with this issue however I’m yet to find a solution for my problem.

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    CPU: Intel Core i7-920
    Ram: 12 GB of something model I can't remember
    PSU: Be Quite Dark Power Pro
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850 X2 1 GB (this seems to be the issue for other people)
    Boot Drive: OCZ Vertex 128 GB
    Raid Array: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    SOundcard: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

O.S Windows 7 64bit Pro

Now there is nothing new here and I installed this windows disk on the machine when I got it problem free so why it wouldn't work now eludes me. I've so far reset my bios to factory settings and just then disabled the onboard soundcard and set my storage to RAID.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Regards,

Josh

2. Deders

Deders Modder

any usb devices plugged in? I had similar issues with vista, I'd just have to unplug my wi-fi stick and it would come back.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

when you say "no picture" do you mean:
    - My monitor power light us saying that their is a signal, but everything is black. I can NOT even see the boot process (unable to go on the BIOS as I don't see it).
    OR
    - My monitor power light is on stand by ALL THE TIME, I can't even see the boot process (Unable to go in the BIOS as I don't see it)
    OR
    - My monitor works fine, but it turns black (with a signal) once Windows 7 is loading or loaded (I CAN go in the BIOS as I see it very well).

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm guessing no 3

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I had this a while ago, I just pulled everything out that wasn't needed and used an old PS2 keyboard and mouse and everything was fine.

6. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

It's number 3 I can reach bios and the asus express gate I see the initial starting windows screen then suddenly it goes black but the monitor stays on and doesn't go into power save so im guessing it's once it's loaded the graphics drivers.

7. GoodBytes

OK good.
    Press F8 BEFORE Windows start, but after the BIOS start (or just tab F8 continuously when your computer boots), it should give you menu of items related to Windows. On that menu, you will have an item called "Safe Mode". Select it.

Windows will now go into Safe Mode, that means that 0 drivers will be loaded, and programs can't start. Once it finished loading, and your in your account.
    Go in the Control Panel > Programs & Feature, and completely uninstall your graphic card drivers. Once done, restart your computer normally, to go in normal Windows.
    Windows should re-detect your graphic card, and you should have an image on the screen.

If you chose not to re-install Windows, feel free to re-install your graphic card drivers with the latest one.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

or in that menu select enable vga mode

9. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

Ok if i get to safe mode it comes up with the message windows can not continue installation in safe mode. So i can't get as far as control panel as it is not far enough through the install process.

This has happened every time i've tryed the install process this time round.

Sadly i don't have another graphics card to hand as i got rid of all spare computer bits a few years ago.

Any further ideas greatly appreciated thanks for your help so far.

J

10. GoodBytes

It's ok, plan B.
    In Safe Mode, open Device Manager (Start > type: Device), On the Device Manage panel, go under Display Adapter. From there you will you graphic card model. Right-click on it and select Uninstall. A box will appear to confirm that you really want to uninstall it. You may also have a check box to force a driver removal, if you have it, do so.
    When done, go back to Windows normal, and uninstall normally your drivers, use CCleaner (free) after to clean your registry. Once done, install your latest video card drivers, if you choose to.

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What GoodBytes is saying is delete the graphics driver in safe mode. Don't try to reinstall in safe mode. Reboot out of safe mode and then windows should pick up the GPU.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

If windows hasn't installed properly than surely it's microsoft's graphics driver that is loading, which can't be uninstalled.

I'd try installing with as little hardware connected, unplug any usb periphirals etc, it could just be windows trying to configure devices, either slowly or unsucessfully..

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

did you see this option in the F8 menu, and did you try it?

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

so.... you're running crossfire? its likely sending the video signal to the other card. i had this issue all the time back when i used to do xfire. either switch the monitor cable to the port one or sometimes two on the other card, or take one of the cards out of the machine until you get windows installed successfully. one thing i've learned about windows installs, one drive, one grfx card. otherwise it can do some truly bizzare things.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011