1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Video Split software? fast, easy to use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wyx087, 29 Dec 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

is there any fast and easy to use video splitting software?

i just got a Sony blu-ray player with USB port, but just found out that Sony only supports FAT32 file format. so to play 1080p films, i'll most likely need to split a 8GB MKV file into 4GB slices.

is there any video file split software that don't require to encode the whole video again? and pretty easy to use (eg. set split point or set desired size, then press Go)

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You might try this one -> http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-ReMaker.aspx

It isn't freeware tho and I don't know what limitations there is for the "trial". The standard-version works however like intended.

EDIT: Oh and yes I know people don't like AVS usually, but what do I care for if it does what I want it to do :p

Last edited: 29 Dec 2010
    wyx087 likes this.
  3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

wyx087 likes this.
  4. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

DVDFab might be worth a shot, I've been using it for a couple years for creating ISO files of my DVDs as backups, it has the option to 'split' movie files into smaller chunks. I've not used that aspect of the program before as I've had no need to, although it looks pretty straightforward.

wyx087 likes this.
  5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

is there a reason you can't connect the computer to the screen itself and play direct? i know sometimes i overlook the obvious, but it may be a lot easier than 1, splitting up a movie file, 2, copying it to some external usb media, 3, playing on another device - maybe. assuming it doesen't have a fit from the file format, bit rate, frames per second etc... it is a sony device after all.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

This is the proper way to split a MKV file without re-encoding it.

If you're dealing with MP4s you can use mp4box (a command line utility) or grab the frontend for it. Yamb

And TSMuxer for .m2ts and .ts

EDIT: Does it accept MKVs? if not you can remux the mkv into a .m2ts without re-encoding anything. This will definitely work in a blu-ray player.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2011
    wyx087 likes this.
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

forgot about this thread. thanks for the bump, rep+ all round :)

i found a software, very similar to mkvtoolnix, except it's designed specifically for Sony players (started for PS3) it's MKV2vob. you just start it, set a few settings like DTS is supported by the TV or not, subtitle to be included or not. then just queue files to it. :D very easy to use and can queue lots files for overnight conversion. all of its output have been successfully played on the player.