1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Video of how heatsink compound spreads...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by neil_b, 9 Jan 2011.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

This - www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4 - Youtube is very interesting, it shows how heatsink compound spreads underneath at the interface between the top of the CPU die and the underneath of the fan/waterblock plate........

DELETE this duplicate post please! (couldn't see how to delete it myself!)

Last edited: 9 Jan 2011
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats interesting. I tend to go for the blob in the middle or spreading. looks like I'll be a blobber from now on.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've been a spreader, I rub it into the heatsink with a finger in a sandwich bag and then spread a thin layer on the cpu/ihs. I think I'll use the pea or cross method in the future!

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It depends what processor I'm using. Example would be that when I rebuilt my old P4 550 system recently for a friend I used something between the rice grain and pea method. But when I am using a Core 2 I use the line method in the same direction that the chips are oriented under the heat-spreader.

5. ultimatedesk

ultimatedesk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for posting that vid, very informative

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ive always done the rice grain method so nice to see that it works best

7. j.col

j.col Minimodder

just seen a same thread in the hardware forum by same OP
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201152

Originally Posted by _Fanatic View Post
    I reseated my q6600 a few times using spread, line and cross. Never saw a single temp difference but hey ho. Interesting vid all the same, haven't seen it before.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Thats very informative :)

Personal preference has always been spreading. The laminated card inserts from Corsair RAM has always worked well for me lol.

9. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

So the pre-spreading method leaves air gaps, damn this is the method that I've always used :(

10. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I suppose when you think about it, squashing a blob means that you start with no/little air between the cooler plate and the die surface, then you're simply forcing out that blob (that had no/little air to start with), and air can't "appear" out of nowhere if it wasn't there to start with.

Conversely, if you spread out the compound first, it's probably virtually impossible to get it totally flat, and there will therefore be a certain amount of undulation and variation on the surface after you've spread it, although not necessarily apparent when just looking at it from 12-24 inches away. It's likely that when you put the cooler plate on to that (slightly) undulating layer of compound you're first trapping air in those undulations, then compressing them out as you apply pressure - which is exactly what the video shows.

The Arctic Cooling web site recommends a line of compound, which sort of follows the above logic, but probably gives greater/better coverage than a simple blob etc? in my humble opinion, every little helps when trying to get a stable and cool PC.

11. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

grain of rice sized dob of TIM in the middle, either AC MX-2/3 or Noctuas own for me.

12. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

That's some useful info right there! Thanks

13. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

normaly i spread the cpu paste, will blob it form now on :)

thanks for the link