1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WoW: Cataclysm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheStockBroker, 27 Nov 2010.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

How's everyone getting on? Got a Worgen Druid about to hit 30, from around 30 - 45 mins playtime (before work in the morning) most days since release.

Playing through the new Darkshore / Ashenvale / Stonetalon ... those damned Horde *shakes fist*

3. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

tried the new Worgen and Goblin starting areas and they are really good, worgen one is easily the best, the retaking of gilneas is awesome.

Also is it just me, or do worgens get really naff racials. (and why can't I fight in human form dammit)

4. Zoon

Once you hit level 20 you get Wild Running, and that's actually cool, at least IMO. First time I saw someone doing it I just thought "now that's cool" :)

The virtually-instant skinning is pretty useful, if you skin anyway...

5. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I just resubscribed. Eating my own words.

6. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I got my account back from hackers yesterday - level 81 at the mo. Haven't played it much.

7. Zoon

The Blizzard Mobile Authenticator is available on iPhone, Blackberry and Android, and a few others.

Its well worth the asking price of TOTALLY FREE.

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I can't justify buying it at the moment given how little content there appears to be in the expac itself. Most of the perks I was interested in - revamped low levelling, revamped classes, talents and spells, revamped zones - are all available without buying Cataclysm. So I can't really justify the cost just for some dungeons and oldworld flying, and a profession that I don't want :/

9. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

I haven't played wow much in ages, ad been busy with work, and over the christmas period was busy with friends and family to take some time off to myself.

I have this love hate relationship with wow, sometimes I absolutely love it when I'm hooked up and playing, however a week or 4-5 hours a day of playing and I feel like I could have spent the time doing more useful things that improve my life, and not just take up my time.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Thats pretty much my problem, I stopped just after wotlk was released so most of my chars are all high 60s with 2@ 70+ while I have wotlk I don't see the point of cata until i get more chars up to 79 at least

11. boiled_elephant

Don't get me wrong, though, the changes are fantastic. The free ones, that is. Everything, from the texture quality and spell effects to the quest writing and level progression to the character abilities and talent trees, is massively, massively improved. Unfortunately for Blizzard's business model, it's also all free. What many reviewers are praising as being the quality of Cataclysm is, more accurately, the quality of patch 4.0.3, which I'm enjoying without buying Cataclysm.

It was inevitable, I suppose - there's no way to cut up the improvements between buyers and non-buyers on an MMO, where everyone has to be in the same version of the gameworld at once. But it does leave me wondering why I'm meant to buy the expac.

Of special note, for anyone familiar with WoW's early gameplay experience, is Redridge Mountains. The entire zone has been retuned and reorganized to be more appropriate. The condors are neutral rather than hostile; the blackrock douches that used to gank every player without fail just outside the village have been relocated east to the mining town, which was previously mysteriously empty and useless. The levels have been adjusted to progress more smoothly. What was once my most hated zone in the game now looks pretty playable.

It all smacks of things they should have done years ago, though. You can't really fix something 5 years late and expect a pat on the back for it - Blizzard are just rectifying old mistakes. In a way, it feels quite correct that I don't have to pay extra for that.

12. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

ya, feel the same about barrens. Now at least its split in half - so less running around. Also, does anyone else feel like blizzard went into major overkill with the adding of new flight points? :p

Not buying cata is understandable, but I must say that I'm soooo glad I did, if only for the new 81-85 zones.

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Have to admit it's somethin that's crossed my mind, usually when trying to pick out a flight point from a tiny map that's dotted with destinations.

14. boiled_elephant

The flight points are something that would've been a life saver back when mounts weren't until level 40. Good god, do you remember? Ugh. The running. It haunts me still.

Is it good content, then? I haven't really seen or heard about the 81-85 content. Nobody mentions it, most of the people I know ingame are tragically devoted raiding types who just blitzed it in two days. All content is a waste of content on people like that.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Not played it myself (only level 69) but I've been told questing is amazing, fantastic storylines, level design and a massive step up from all that's gone before - can't wait to get there. I'm not into raids, never get time due to the family, so tend to solo and do the odd dungeon. Better quests is a big draw for me.

16. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I would say so. I was given the gift of Cataclysm for Christmas, having played the 10 day free trial (which is still available). I'm only 83 atm (I'm levelling up a few characters) and I am enjoying it. I would say it's more quality over quantity in terms of what the expansion brings. The dungeons are good, and challenging. Apparently Heroics require skill and planning which is welcome, I'm looking forward to those.

Try the trial and see for yourself http://us.battle.net/en/info/cataclysm-trial. Make sure your game client is up to date first so you get the most out of it.

17. watson164

watson164 What's a Dremel?

I hate the way the worgen run though :( its too much of a lean without being on all fours

18. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I'm having the same issue with the warlock that I created. She's only level 20 so far but the swaying and bobbing motion while she's running I think is making me motion sick. An hour or two playing worgen = headache. That's not the case on other races. Also, the cast animations are over the top.

19. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I know the feeling - I get the same after flying any where on a Dragon Hawk! :p

20. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I wonder if they've fixed that bugged mob in WPL, next to the house in the graveyard right above Chillwind Point.... that guy has been there since vanilla.

If they have fixed him, and he is actually walking around, I know where I'm gonna be for a couple hours.... ****ing ******* always killed me when I was lvling there