1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I study?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by hirezo, 24 Dec 2010.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Web design pays good money? I always thought that was one career to avoid because I had images of unwashed nerds living on instant noodles trying to get their latest project finished so they can pay the overdue rent.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

when looking for jobs over the last 2 years IT engineeers/support pays jack unless your already in the field and have tons of experience and pro qualifications.

however junior web designers and graduate positions were paying 20-25K for web stuff design and programming.

i saw 1 job for IT support in a school providing server and client support under the head of IT for 11.5K !!! and serveral years of industrial experience were essential with MS qualifications recommened.

pffftt i could work at tescos and get paid more than that.

go back 4 or 5 years and a IT graduate could command around 15-20K fresh out of uni now its more like 10-15K and experience already required

EDIT my figures were wrong its only 17% of commputer science graduates are unemployed but that made it the worst in the UK above things like social sciences and media studies !!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7549106.stm

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Computer Science (or software engineering, same job, same salary) is CRITICAL in the computer field. They are the ones that make the magic happens, they are the ones that ensures that your programs runs a net book fine, or even lower specification, and not require several supper computers to run. They are the ones that innovate in creating new programming methods. Circuit boards can do so much without software. We all seen our share of abysmal programs, these programs are not made by University degree software developer, but only college degree student.

To get hired in Computer Science/Software Engineer (again, different degree name, same job, same salary), you need more than just a degree. Most companies don't care about your grades (as long as you pass, and not border line passage), they look at your experience, this means your personal projects. They want to see your creative ideas, and your work. You can be top class, but what's the point if at work you can only do assignment like programming job (for example: command line base projects, nothing fancy, can only do what you have been though and not learn yourself and unable to push for new knowledge), and panic at your work as you can't do anything. While get someone with mediocre grades and can do anything, and bring innovative solutions to problems. (there is no both, either you study 100%, or you program/develop and do school split at some point).

Doesn't mean that their is no job in U.K that their is no job anywhere. Here in Quebec it's DEAD. That is why many game company come here... ultra cheap labor. Why pay a software eng or comp sci, 70 -100k$ per year U.S, when you can pay (I kid you not) 30k, and if you need someone else, they is a huge line out of people waiting for a job. Easy to replace if he is not happy with the work conditions or not productive enough.
    But cross the province, and your salary double, the job is more relaxing... you just have to be very good in English. Go in the state, and you have a nice 70k$ (before recession) salary to start off, and can quickly go to 100k after a few years of experience, like any computer engineering jobs.

PLUS add all the baby boomer retiring... their will be a lot of young people with high positions.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i think we are different pages goodbytes and i know why.

your on about a BEng in computer sciences which is an engieneering degree and is very highly paid and a commendable degree.

im more about BA in Computer sciences which is worth about as much as a degree in david beckham and the OP never said which one as they are very very different.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah yes. good point. And yes you are correct about a BA (same for "career certifications")

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

A Computer Science degree from a good university can net you a lot of money. Scientists and engineers are in great demand in the City for trading/structuring roles.

Degrees in ICT, on the other hand, aren't really technical or numerical (or, indeed, useful) in any way. Avoid like the plague.

Not sure, I think Elec. Eng would give Physics a run for its money :worried:

7. ninety2wo

ninety2wo What's a Dremel?

Computer Engineering, like me

8. russell16688

russell16688 What's a Dremel?

Id agree with one of the first posts in that make sure you choose a course you really want to do, not that just will get you a job, although that has to be considered.
    Its taken me around 3years to really find what I wanted to do at university but im glad i waited as now i enjoy the course im on and dont find it a chore to attend. Also it makes doing the work easier as you have a want to do it.
    Id say dont be afraid of taking a gap year if your not sure exactly what you want to do. You only get 1 student loan in your life and its expensive enough going to uni once nevermind twice! Im 22 and in my first year of uni and im loving it.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe