1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Sandy Bridge hardware problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mike_dowler, 12 Jan 2011.

1. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Hey guys! Took delivery of my new Sandy Bridge kit today - Asus P8P67 Pro mobo, i5 2500K Corsair DMS3 1333 2x2GB. Trouble is, I can't get it to POST. I'm not getting any beep codes, the power LED is lit, and the POST LEDs cycle continuously VGA->CPU->RAM. There is no signal on the VGA.

If I remove the memory and try to boot, I get the 'no RAM' beep code, so at least I know my speaker is working! It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not my graphics card (Radeon HD4750) is present. Graphics card was working fine when I took it out of my old rig 30mins earlier - I will try to reassemble to eliminate that as a possible problem, but I think it's fine.

Anyone else got an Asus P8P67 who could tell me what the cycling LEDs mean?

2. Black Eyed

Black Eyed Mammifère blanc et noir

Have you:

Tried the memOK button?

Tried using the blue memory slots instead of black?

Have you checked all the power connections? ATX and 8-pin

Checked the CPU is sat correctly and the socket is not damaged?

Checked the heatsink is sat correctly?

When you finally get in - update the BIOS, the latest ones are much better.

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Just out of curiosity, unrelated sorry, but does the Asus manual require a 8 pin connector from PSU? My evga board had a 8pin but my PSU only was a 4, and the evga manual said it was not required but they recommended it (been overclocked and running fine for over 3 years now, lol)

Also, I would reseat and recheck everything. Only plug in what is needed too.

4. Black Eyed

The ATX spec states 8 is always recommended (if available) but 4 is fine.

Asus manual (page 2-31) states 4/8-pin (I have the box next to me since I just built mine :D)

Also the manual smells mighty nice :lol:

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Thanks! :)

I smell stuff too... and really didn't know it till a roommate had me taste some chip he had bought (I smelled it like a gorilla about to enjoy a banana, lol )

6. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Yep - tried all of that. No change. Graphics is working fine as well. RMA time?

I'm interested - do those LEDs light up at all as part of a normal boot?

7. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Most likely Ram compatibility issue. Beep with no ram means board is alive and kicking, so it's not "faulty" per se. Very unlikely Both sticks are dead, GPU should be fine but just becuase it works i none board does not guarantee it'll work in another. My Brother's M57SLI-S4 Refused to acknowledge his 5870 was plugged in for example. Test with another GPU if possible or maybe take it to your local PC Store (like a propper one not a PCWorld) and ask them If they'll let you test some different RAM in it.

Also try clearing the CMOS? crazy but you never know

8. Black Eyed

This ^^

Is your RAM compatible? What is the model number? Is it on the QVL list? Can you borrow another single stick of DDR3 from someone else to test?

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

What BIOS version are you running?

This was posted not long ago: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2540673&postcount=26

Edit: Is your RAM set to auto voltage or have you changed it? Set it manually to 1.5v and see if that works.

There have been a few posts arount the web about this as well as mentions of lots of new BIOS versions coming out (latest is v1053 Beta)...

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/911402-sandybridge-take-note.html
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227652
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576509
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P8P67+PRO&SLanguage=en-us
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18177295

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011
  10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Been having problems from the get go with this board, sooooo temperamental if it posts, tried placing the ram in all combinations in the slots, used the mem ok feature, tried my enermax galaxy 1kw psu & my new corsir ax850, tried flipping the switch next to the ram & mem ok, tried flipping the switch at the bottom of the board & since then the led stays red on the cpu indicator, switched it back, stays red, took battery out for a couple of hours & used the jumper for the cmos, stays red :confused:.

The times it did post I tried to upload the new latest none beta bios but it didn't find my flash drive, I also changed the ram settings to 1600mhz & the timings of 6,8,6,24 & set the memory voltage to 1.65 as stated on the ram.

Was even able to install win 7 but while restarting for driver installs it started playing up on posting again which led me to try the lower switch to see if it helped, but since then the cpu LED stays red, no beep codes or anything & will not post at all, I doubt the cpu is dead because I had the same issue on socket 775 with a q9650 that the asus board said it was dead but it works perfectly fine on the p45-dq6.

Honestly I've had more than enough with this board & just hope aria will switch it for the ud4, I chose a Manchester shop so I can return it in person not having to pay extra postage & delays so I'll hopefully get to take it back tomorrow & hopefully they will change it for the gigabyte p67-ud4 I don't want any more hassle with asus :(.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I wonder what are the chances of a replacement of this board being just as bad, suppose I could ask them to put the latest bios on it before I take it & even take my cpu & ram so they can make sure all is ok, don't want any more sleepless nights from this board.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Set the RAM to 1.5v, let it run auto speeds and see if there is a difference. There are lots of threads warning about RAM over 1.6v causing problems, especially with that BIOS. There are references to a "cold boot" issue as well.

Are you able to burn a CD with the new BIOS and flash util on it and boot from that?

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Would do if I could mate, since getting the cpu red LED thing, I took all the power off & removed the battery & cleared cmos but still just get red LED on the cpu so can't even get into the bios, really getting the feeling that I'll get no replacement from aria, many pc shops can be a PITA when it comes to after sales service from my experience :(.

Before the CPU red LED thing the LED's would cycle from vga to cpu to mem over & over not posting.

So yeah I'm gonna have to take the board back, but if asus send boards out to retailers in such a bad way then I don't want anything to do with another asus board.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011
  14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Seeing as it doesn't work, they should replace it for you. If they do, ask them to check the BIOS version before sending to avoid any more faffing about on your part, it is the least they could do.

Good luck with them.

Note: surely you have had it less than 7 working days? Distance selling regs still applies doesn it?

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks for trying to help Fingers :thumb: it came on Monday so hopefully they can sort me out fingers crossed :lol: no pun intended :D.

So maybe if I get a replacement p8p67 pro I'll need to stick with 1.5v even with the latest bios or just on that bad 0402?.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The 1.5v vs 1.65v question is bugging me. I've posted a question in the "Best RAM for SB" article thread to see what bindi says seeing as he gets all the goss from Taiwan.

Intel "appear" to be advising 1.5v whereas board & RAM manufacturers "seem" to be saying up to 1.65v max is fine. I found it in one of the links I posted earlier.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I look forward to the answer on that thread, good question you threw up there :thumb:.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

You know something, I seen another possible solution to updating the bios so I burnt the beta bios to a cd & tried turning the TDU or whatever it's called switch on the bottom of the board on & clearing the cmos, red LED on the cpu spot again.

Now I think back & after reading of some other people describing the sound they heared when clamping down the cpu bracket & how super tense it were to clamp down I've a feeling it bent all the pins simultaniously unless they aren't supposed to be straight up I don't know, I do know that bad noise doesn't happen when I put the cpu in & clamp down since so yeah I think it bent all the pins & I definitely put the cpu in the correct way :eeek:.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I haven't seen a SB board in the flesh but with S775 & 1156, the CPU pins on the board are not pointing "straight up" as standard, they lean slightly.

If you think about it, if they were straight up they would not bend uniformly when the CPU is placed upon them.

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm having problem with the pro version. Wish i had just bought the UD4.