1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware KFA2 Announces Cable-Free Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Jan 2011.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The 460GTX Razer will be epic for the folders.

2. shah

shah Minimodder

Very good One less wire to worry about :D

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I don't see the issue with lag for an HTPC. It is HDMI, so the lag with affect both the audio and video feeds. Plug it in to a receiver near the TV and you're fine.

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

This would be awesome for casually gaming in my living room, rather having to move my massive tower everytime..

Although I'd prefer to see this as a stand alone unit. Also depends on the speccs.

Wow your rooms must be small!

5. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

It shouldnt only transmit HD but a usb 2.0 signal aswell, that would be awesome...

6. Kingsley813

Kingsley813 What's a Dremel?

Just perfect. Because I do a lot of arch-vis, I rely a lot on networked rendering. This would allow me to keep all my monitors in the same room, and just stack the PC's in the spare room together, without excessive space. And of course, the CUDA capability is useful, as there are not many (good) render engines which use the OpenCL language, leaving my 5870 idle....

All round, quite interesting!!

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Multiple Screens? Would be good to have a multi screen option that would share the same connection.

8. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Yeah, lag is the only thing I'm worried about here. However, for a HTPC build, this could be perfection in the making. Only gaming would really suffer from lag.

9. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Not at all. It's for anyone who wants to be able to stick their computer case completely out of view or even out of the same room they are working in (say in a closet). Perfect for a HTPC where you don't want the added noise of fans in the same room you are watching a movie in as well. Don't take such a limited view on this idea. It really is much more useful than you think.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

now all we need is wireless power

11. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Woaah, donno why we are modding cases, now we can have the ugllyest case ever and put it in the atic.. niceeee!

12. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This is great news for us all, I can see this idea taking off across all manufacturers.

13. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

It could be useful for people like me that use a long HDMI cable to watch films and play games using my HDTV as second monitor, or to stream movies to another room.

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I dont know why, but I'm sceptical.

15. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Wireless? That's convenient for people who want to spy on your computer screen.

l3v1ck likes this.
  16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

HTPC? I have a Xtreamer for that. Small, noiseless, power friendly and plays anything i throw at it. It can be used wireless and through lan. So there goes the overkill HTPC use for this card out of the window.

I can try it for my game pc but since my living room is 7x5meters I think its pointless. And a HDMI wire would be more then adequate. And playing games I strongly believe it will lag a few milliseconds. Besides that my Game PC is very quite (Water cooled) So there goes the second use for this card out of the window.

In the end its all gimmick but not actually usefull. For less money you could buy a Xtreamer /playon whatever lowcost mediaplayer for "htpc" use pland 10meters of hdmi cable if you want tay some games.

You may have a room thats 20 meters long but i wonder if the range of the wireless mouse/keyboard would reach that.

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Good point! Will there be some built in hardware encryption between the card and receiver?

18. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

if the WHDI reciever was compatible with intel wireless display i'd be keen onit....is it compatible?

19. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Wouldn't it just use WPA2 like every other wireless device?

20. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I wonder why you can't get fibre optic nodes for broadcasting video? The bandwidth that'd represent would be huge, also it'll be free from interference and allow cable runs of several kilometres. In case you ever needed to place your computer in the next town :p

Tags: Add Tags