1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus P8P67 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Jan 2011.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

We'd definitely prefer PCI-E. Agreed. There is still a lot of expensive Audio equipment using PCI and it'd be a shame to make them legacy and mess up studio equipment with shelf life though.

2. Black Eyed

Black Eyed Mammifère blanc et noir

Then just get the P8P67 Pro! :rock: A little more expensive but still cheaper than the UD4.

/Hugs Dlx board :naughty:

Ph4ZeD - it's 16x and 4x "crossfire" - I assume bit-tech doesn't consider that "real" CrossFire even though you technically can do it. I agree, the 4x port must cripple performance: anyone know?

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

any news on Asus ROG P67 MATX board or other P67 MATX boards for OC?

4. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

If you get the PRO version (about £15-20 more) then you get multi-GPU support and better layout (as well as a few other benefits). The Asus boards are easily the best choice of initial P67 offerings, its a shame that you have to spend £120 and up on anything that isnt crippled though, but i guess thats just part of the course for early adopters.

As for me, i was pleased to see this review, as about 5 hours ago i purchased this exact board to go with the 2500k, it does everything i want (and more), i dont plan on ever going crossfire so that wasnt really an issue.

5. Black Eyed

I was just reading that Legit Reviews link above and saw that Asus makes a P8P67-M Pro - cheaper than the ATX Pro actually.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iT2FJPCMOGBHClu4

According to that it has 8x8x for CrossFire/SLI but I don't think it has the Digi+ VRM, so I'm not sure if that affects the OC performance. bit-tech? Reviewplzplzpzlpzlz

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I got the pro version of this & it came with a 0402 bios which is garbage & not even listed on asus bios download page & couldn't update the bios as it didn't pick up on my flash drive & is picking up my i5 2500k as dead I think, the red led just stays fixed on the cpu, good old reliable asus, not.

Had the same thing with an asus rampage formula x48 & q9650, it was saying the cpu was dead & I bought a gigabyte p45-dq6 & it worked perfect & still does, only reason I chose asus over gigabyte was for the extra 2 sata ports, :duh:.

So I want to change this POS board for the UD4, shame because it has the looks, the features I would have been happy with only it was lacking 1 super important feature (reliability) if you have one that works then good stuff but why do I always get duff asus boards :confused::wallbash:.

7. Black Eyed

Send it back, ask them to flash it to the latest BIOS for you? Take it back to the shop and ask them to update it there?? It'll take like 2 minutes (assuming you didnt buy it online).

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Did the same thing with the rampage formula & my q9650 still didn't work on it but my previous q6600 g0 did so sold it to my bro, but the q9650 works on the gigabyte, I don't like others fiddling with my parts neither, no pun intended.

Got the board on a tight budget, wasted a good 40 hours on it & can't even just go & order a ud4 :wallbash: totally wrecking my modding chi :(.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Waynio: I've just posted this in another thread...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2540736&postcount=9

tldr; your BIOS IS the problem and you need to update it...

10. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

Is it worth upgrading to the P67 or P67-M-Pro from an Asus P6T de luxe with a core i7 920 CPU? Or will an upgrade of the Asus to a 950CPU plus a SATA6 /USB3 card bring it within reach of the P67 capabilities? I am looking at gaming potential as well as video use but not at overclocking just yet. Oh , and I wish Intel would properly differentiate between all the coreI3's, i5's and i7's in their marketing.

11. Denis_iii

nice one, thanks!

12. Denis_iii

I wouldn't, sounds a sweet ass rig you've got and if looking to upgrade rather upgrade GPU solution or go SLI/Crossfire with current GPU else wait until intel realise the high end range of 2nd Gen Core i CPU's.
    My understanding is P67 socket 1155 is mid range replacing P55 socket 1156 so hold out until x58 socket 1366 is replaced with 2nd gen high end Core i which I beleive may be coming with quad memory controller.

13. stupido

stupido What's a Dremel?

yeah... I just saw that this was not the PRO version...

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I would stick with what you have already. I doubt you'd notice any difference between your 920 and the 950 and the 920 is good enough anyway without needing to upgrade to sandy for a couple of years.

If you want more power then overclock your 920. It's a monster overclocked :)

15. Luay

Luay What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the review. I disagree with your conclusion.
    I would not recommend this board over the MSI G65 as the MSI will get an EFI Bios upgrade. The MSI is also, and I'm saying the exact opposite of what you're saying, the best 1155 motherboard to overclock with, nearing 5 ghz on an i7 2600k with a stock cooler. Check Guru3d.
    Even if you don't overclock, just click on the OC Genie button and within seconds your PC is overclocked stable at decent levels.
    Most importantly, the MSI is a fully functional 8x8 dual GPU supporting motherboard while the Asus isn't. Even if I didn't want dual GPUs, I would go for the $50 cheaper Gigabyte UD3 instead, which serves as a better comparison to the Asus P8P67.

16. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

The MSI already has the EFI bios... and so does this Asus board... so what's your point about the EFI bios? And you musn't forget that bit-tech were using an i5-2500k, not the 2600k. And Guru 3d forced the stock cooler to run at "a noisy 100%".
    Also, the "if you don't overclock, you can still press the magic button to overclock" contradicts itself. If you're not going to overclock your CPU, it's unlikely to be because of not wanting to go into the BIOS because of the presumably new EFI "BIOSes".

On the other hand, I agree with your UD3 suggestion - I'm planning a new PC for a friend and it seemed to be the best price/features.

And one final thing, just because someone had to say it, it says i5-1500k at the bottom of the P8P67 overclocking page. Sorry (about pointing it out, not about anything else which I may or may not be sorry about such as sending many fine captains to their deaths on Gratuitous Space Battles).

17. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Hmm 4.9GHz would be a nice target to aim for in the future if possible :D but alas I am a complete noob at overclocking so will settle with my 4.5GHz for now :)

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Where MSI has "OC Genie", the ASUS has a "TPU chip" for automatic overclocking.*
    Also, at least according to the website, the -Pro is a full 8x/8x board as well.
    Then again the MSI is slightly faster if I read it's test right.

What I like abot the ASUS though, is the ability to clock the nuts off it, while retaining Speedstep and Turboboost.
    This should enable a silent system when needed (on Idle) and performance when gaming.

*and yes, I'd still like to see what results these "automatics" would yield.

19. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

It's a great board... bought one, and used some of your voltages, and got 4.8ghz stable, i reached 4.9ghz but it crashed with no reason whatsoever

20. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

How much will it be until the reviews for the PRO / EVO / SABERTOOTH / DELUXE are out??
    Also I'm looking forward to reading about gigabyte mobos ...

Tags: Add Tags