1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Jadawgis's Money Pit

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jadawgis732, 26 Sep 2010.

1. jadawgis732

jadawgis732 What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's called parrallel flow rather than serial.

2. jadawgis732

here's what I was waiting for- new tops for the EK blocks. I'm getting sick of the clear plexi and it really doesn't go with my theme, and reminds me how dirty the blocks have become inside everytime I see them. So I got some white acetal tops and they were super cheap! ($49 USD with shipping from slovenia!)

I also made a power distribution block. 3 Pin fan connectors can be used for devices requiring 12v and 5v lines by just splicing the grounds together. So that's what I'll do for the FC6 and DVD. The cable running to the block will first make a stop at the hotswap connector since I'm not down with gambling with my drives. So here are the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jadawgis732

Hey just an update. Concerned about wattages, and my plan to run everything off of one rail. So I took measurements, maybe they'll help someone maybe not:

2 1850 Gentle Typhoons: 5w (spinup) 3w (normal)
    3 1450 Gentle Typhoons: 5w (spinup) 3w (normal)
    1 140mm Aerocool Shark: 7w (spinup) 6w (normal)
    Corsair Memory Cooler: 6w (spinup) 5w (normal)
    MCP655-b: 28w
    XSPC Dual Bay Res/Pump: 13w
    12" TruColor LED: 6w
    DVD: 15w (spinup) 8w (normal seek) 5w (spinup while tray is empty)
    X25-m G2: 2-3w
    WD 1Tb Black: 8w

All told, I'm looking at about 90w in peripherals at max load. I am worried that one 12v wire (18AWG or otherwise) won't handle this, and I don't really want to have two cable bunches coming from the PSU. I'm just going to push the limits, the worst that happens is the hub I'm making burns up, or my BFG EX1000W (which I got for $55) burns up (and that's unlikely, I think it'd shut off before it got damaged) or some wires burn out.

BTW I have been searching high and low for a good way to distribute power. I first came up with the hammond box idea:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I found it too bulky.

I was thinking of getting one of those Bitspower X-Station thingies but figured it's so much better to make your own.

I figured the 4 pin molex to 6 three pin hub idea worked well, but needed it to be low profile. Then my eyes fell on a CCFL inverter laying on my desk. Well, the casing must have been made for this idea because it worked out perfectly. The slot on one end is exactly the width of a 4 pin molex connector, and the length is perfect for 6 three pin headers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spliced the headers and superglued them side to side. Next I'll make a cutout for the headers in the CCFL casing and then everything is a go. I imagine I'll also paint it black.

Here are all the parts I've been sleeving in preparation for the hub's completion
    [​IMG]

4. jadawgis732

Well I was able to execute the idea but not without experiencing some pain:
    [​IMG]

Here's the gist
    Do not touch hot glue immediately after squeezing it out of a hot glue gun. I am not kidding when I tell you it is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Immediate blister, with a REALLY hot shell of glue covering it, and 5 minutes after the fact it still feels like someone is holding a lighter to my thumb.

Use common sense. Don't try to pat the glue down before it solidifies. If you do then you're as stupid as me.

Right after:

[​IMG]

5 minutes later:

[​IMG]