1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other telefone/ADSL socket wiring

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by nichos, 15 Jan 2011.

1. nichos

nichos Minimodder

My BT ADSL/Telephone V10 (split type) socket needs the ADSL cable to be recycled in its socket regularly to stay connected on the net. Maybe bad connections?

The telephone works OK.

The BT line connects to it with the Orange cable to "B" & blue to "A".

I have another similar socket not the spliting type & open in the back (please see screenshots).

I tried connecting the Orange to 2 & Blue to 5, then vise versa, & tried other combinations.

The ADSL works but NOT the telephone.

Anybody has the correct diagram to make both connections work? .........nick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I'm assuming the split filtered faceplate is connected to an NTE master socket?
    Is the other outlet you're refering to an extention situated elsewhere?

3. nichos

nichos Minimodder

1. the split one is connected to the BT wires coming out of the sealing & down the wall.

No master other master socket involved but that split BT Version 1.o, which is the master socket I guess.

2. No, I am binning the above & replacing it with the new one I bought as per screen shots.

4. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Ok, just to clarify, with the old split filtered face plate, connecting the orange and blue/white wires from the drop cable to terminals A & B respectively, the phone and ADSL works, although you get broadband drop outs?

Then when you've installed the second faceplate, DSL works, but you loose the phone line?

What router are you using? Assuming using the non filtered faceplate, you're using microfilters?

5. nichos

nichos Minimodder

[​IMG]

bt cable from wall connects to this photo Orange wire to "B" & blue to "A"

If I connect, to new socket shown on my first post, Orange to 2 & Blue to 5, then vise versa, & tried other combinations the Net connects but not the phone.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2011
  6. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I'm inclined to think the second faceplate maybe a duff, as your wiring method is sound.

Focusing on the first face plate, if you're experienceing DSL dropouts, doesn't necessarily point to the face plate being the culprit. Could be a line fault, or a dodgy RJ11 cable fron the plate to the router.

Hence the reason why I ask which router you're using, which ISP and if you have the knowhow, posting your DSL line stats would be a great help.

7. nichos

nichos Minimodder

The new socket I bought new, but could be a bum one.

I tried 2-3 cables.

our 2 PCs & a laptop work OK except when the small socket to ADSL has to be repluged now & then.

Is there a diagram of the wiring from the wall cable to my new ADSL/fone socket?

8. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Your wiring seemed to be correct, but take a look here for conformation.
    http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

I'm more inclined to think it could be a line/router fault, which is why I asked you which router you're using. With that info, I can direct you how to get your DSL line stats and sthere's a problem there.

9. nichos

nichos Minimodder

router is Netgear wired & wirless.

changed its cable 2-3 times, & know the 192.168.0.1 & all the correct settings within.

10. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Can you log into the router and post your line stats, Attenuation up/down stream, SN margin etc etc.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if that socket on the wall is a bt master socket, you are not permitted to mess with the wiring behind the test socket, it's actually illegal for you to do so.

if you want to connect an extension, it must be connected to the faceplate.

if the master socket is at fault you must get a bt engineer to replace it.

you are permitted to replace the faceplate, which must connect via the test socket.

12. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx,

say just for the sake of argument, if one connected the illecal socket in the place of the legal one would it work? & if not why. ...........nick

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it should, but the reason your not supposed to is because you may cause damage to the bt network.

14. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx, point taken,