1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

This thread is bringing back a few memories!

I was never majorly into it but I did paint quite a few models after reading White Dwarf. Probably all in the bin now though...

Nice pics, makes me want to go out and buy some paints although I doubt its all as cheap as it was when I painted them - I remember they had a coupon for a starter kit for £5 in the magazine with about 8 paints and a brush and so forth. My father used to make and paint models (cars though), so I didn't really have to buy much.

Spent alot of time doing that, I bloody loved it!

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's probably close to ten years since I last played or bought anything. Had an Eldar Saim-Hann army, which usually went up against Marines and Tyranids. While everything Eldar is a bit fragile, Bright Lances, Fire Prisms, Singing Spears, Fire Dragons et al could vaporise armour if you got them close enough quickly enough. Could take on pretty much anyone but Chaos. Khorne Berserkers were a royal pain in the arse and I never worked out a tactic to beat them.

But, it was way too expensive back then and it's even more expensive now. About the only thing 40K I use these days is a Purity Seal pin badge on my jacket, which was won it at a Dreadnought Rampage event at our local store.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I like the 180 ohm resistor. :D

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ok then, who wants to get insanely jealous?

I bought this probably about 10 years ago and aside from a brief period of wanting to put it together I have never done much with it.

[​IMG]

They were never intended for sale as they were only sculpted for use with the full Ultramarines chapter that GW did for one of the Games Days but the interest was so high they decided to go for it and make them something special. Each of them was individually numbered with the first one starting at 40,001.

[​IMG]

You can still get them but only from Forgeworld as resin kits. This is part lead based metal and part the later white metal as it was put together from a bunch of kits which had pieces missing or broken boxes.

[​IMG]

At the time I was pretty well known in the Nottingham store and the manager at the time kindly took a trip down the HQ in Lenton and spent a couple of hours building the kit up for me so what was ordered on a Monday arrived in the store for me ready to be picked up on Wednesday evening :rock:

The red disk shaped thing is a life sized rubber purity seal which was included in the box. It is the only one I have ever seen, even during the brief period I worked at the HQ I never saw another one (even during my sneaky sneakings around the studio).

I still have a basic marine army kicking about somewhere in here but I haven't painted anything (or gamed) for getting on for 8 years now as what with work and uni I never had the time. It was always scary how fast 4 hours went past when I got going.

5. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Jeez, that thing has got be worth a pretty penny now... majorly cool model though. I haven't done much with my stuff for ages now, had a real binge on it a few years back, I've got masses of Chaos just sat in a display case, God only knows how much its all worth, especially with all the FW resin stuff I've got. Love the fluff side of things too, the HH series is a fantastic read for anyone who hasn't had it recommended to them already!

6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

this thread is soo soo soo tempting me to get back into it ....

damn wallet is gona hate you lot lol

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

gilljoy, I've got a 2,000 point unpainted Blood Raven army (custom built) if you want it ;)

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

@Ph4lanx: Very nice model (page 2), nicely painted :)

A quick pic of one of my squads which I have on my PC:

[​IMG]

9. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I can recomend a few things firstly buying GW's how to paint models covers all the area's faces details etc great book to look at how techniques are done.

Go to you're local gw store and book a painting lesson.

Are quite a few painting forums with tips etc, first two are proably best.

Seeing the amount of painted models i need to get painting again- lots of models that need to be finished and armies that are black and others still in their boxes. Can never have too many models i guess.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Holy sweet jesus!

Yeah it is :D Come to the side of Spessh Mareeens!

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into the How to Paint books, I may wait until February though as there may be a used copy going dirt cheap at the Plymouth Wargamers event.

I will definitely look into a painting lesson... though I might have to go to a GW store that isn't too local (gives me a good reason to visit Exeter), one of the committee members for our current club works in the local store and there would be a bit of tension as he doesn't get along with the group I play with.

:D Glad I've got plenty of models to practice on, still got somewhere in the region of 270 Orcs & Goblins to paint for my fantasy battles army.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Additionally, one of the easiest places to get step by step guides is through the "Astronomicon" link on the GW website, but for some of the tutorials you need to sign up. Free though thankfully :D

13. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Must be 15 odd years since I played any GW. As th eOP said even then it was oversimplified and overpriced. They used to sell a full game i.e bloodbowl, spacemarine or space hulk for £20. You could then get expansion figures iirc a full bloodbowl team cost about £15.

The storylines were darker before too. I still have my origional 40k rule book!

14. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Used to collect quite a bit of 40K (2nd Edition), had quite a big Tyrannid and Dark Eldar army (and Dark Elf). Just could never quite get into Fantasy as much with the rank and file style of deployment (even with the green square bases to keep them on :D).

Slowly grew out of it for whatever reason; probably lack of friends who were into it for playing games (although when we did get some 3v3 games, those was awesome afternoons).

I really liked the concept of Gorkamorka, with the RPG-ish style of character development that was in Necromunda but the awesomeness of being able to customise your vehicles (i.e. if you want to get extra plating upgrade for it, you physically need to glue more armour plates onto your model. Led to some crazy custom modelling jobs in White Dwarf).

Wish I'd gotten into DoW2 more when it came out - I'd love to play it now but just concerned that the online community won't be at it's peak (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The storylines still are dark, my friend. Just that now they've got a whole publishing arm called The Black Library and they're in novel form :)

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

lol tempting but I'm just gona buy a few cool looking minis to paint for abit, dont have time to go to my local games club.

Need to learn how to blend, I'd love to be able to blend lol

17. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

A metal thunderhawk gunship, nice....

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Out of all the games that they have released in all their forms, what would your favourites be? Say, top 3 or top 5 (if you've played that much)

For me, I would say;

1) Warhammer 40,000 - 2nd edition.
    2) Necromunda
    3) Warhammer 40,000 - 3rd Edition
    4) Space Hulk
    5) Inquisitor

2nd Ed had a fantastic level of detail and while the games took longer, i think it was more fun playing a single game over a full afternoon rather than the speedy 1 hour or so matches in 3rd ed. It allowed things like teleporting Abaddon 6 metres under ground when you hit him with a D-Cannon and the resulting explosion killing half his termie retinue. Throwing Vortex grenades around at eldar dreadnoughts and attacking Imperial Guard units with Swooping Hawks and dropping 10 frag grenades on them as you fly overhead. Or the best one to date: Shooting a Leman Russ with a Lascannon, it detonates and destroys the tank beside it, its turret blows off and lands on a third tank and destroys it... awesome.

Necromunda, if you had a good GM to come up with conditions and whatnot, it was fantastic seeing your gang grow and expand, tooled up to the nine. Then suffering a fatal loss and you try to regain the ground you've lost. The bank-hander dealings and backstabbing was always great fun too.

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Oh god, nerd alert. If you had Dark Eldar then it was 3rd Ed. rules.

What are you doing to me :duh: :lol:

Everydayoddity likes this.
  20. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I wonder if i could start collecting... paint them up... but use them more as a "Shush or my chapter will kick yo' ass"