1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Call of Duty: Black Ops - Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron Shelley Inje, 21 Jan 2011.

1. Byron Shelley Inje

Byron Shelley Inje Byron Shelley Injeeli

The highly anticipated COD Black Ops was released with a lot of hype, but reviews of this game weren't as high as the previous Modern Warfare series. Obviously, Modern Warfare 1 and 2 have been regarded by many as the greatest first person shooter shooter games ever made. However, I still expected Black Ops to gain slightly better reviews than it did. What did you guys think about this game? What would you rate it? Please submit your comments.

-------------
    Byron Shelley Injeeli

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Probably a bot.

4. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

For my money, I thought the review on BT was spot on. I disagree with the series being the best FPS ever(that award is in the trophy cabinet at Black Mesa), but to me what made (especially the later titles) the series cool was the way I felt like I was in a war movie. The game is very linear, so the set piece has to be good, it has to be immersive and it has to have good storytelling. As BT says, BLOPS doesn't have good storytelling, if this was a movie, it wouldn't be Saving Private Ryan, it'd be Crank 2 (Ooooh yeeeeeeeeah!).

Apart from this, it is fun. not massively long amounts of fun, but enjoyable nonetheless. Again on the movie comparison, its the sort of thing you enjoy sure enough whilst you're watching, then can't really tell anyone what the 'Good Bits' are, and forget you saw it after a week.

5. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

Am I the only one who got annoyed that the game doesn't let you open doors? EVERY time you have to wait for an NPC.

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Maybe, but to what aim? No link, no advert?

For what it is worth I am getting tired of these FPS on rails games - all production and no substance (Medal of Honor was worse though). When I fork out your £30 to £50 for a game (depending on the platform) I want a bit more game-play these days.

For instance I have nearly completed Bioshock 2 on the 360 (I bought it at release and never got round to playing until now!) and that has given me a good 15-20 hours. 4 to 5 hours of Single player doesn't seem worth the money regardless of how whizz bang the production is.

7. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I haven't played Black Ops, nor did I play MW2 (both out of refusal), however, I did play, and thoroughly enjoyed COD4. I think it's kinda lame what IW/Treyarch did with the MW2 series, and now Black Ops--it's basically a recycled engine and entirely recycled gameplay, with a few new mechanics, weapons, and killstreaks, but it's largely the same thing. I think what they did with Black Ops, by providing a zombie mode was pretty cool (I've seen videos and it looks like great fun) but for the most part, ever since COD4, the whole series has wreaked of the Tom Clancy series. There's only so many times you can make a military-style FPS and have it be fun. Better graphics and a *few* new mechanics are the only major changes to the traditional military-style FPS shooter in the past 5-6 years (Broad generalization, there's obviously exceptions to the rules).

They're fun games, but I don't see why consumers let game companies get over on them so hardcore, while they make absolutely massive profits (Must be hard when you basically make the same game over and over).

8. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

QTF

FPS games do not need to be held seperately to RPG/RTS in terms of longevity of the singleplayer. I think there has been a trend towards smaller singleplayer, to get you involved, and then just use multiplayer as an excuse to not develop the game further. A good singleplayer is still a big draw for people, but I just don't think its regnoised by developers.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I won't disagree with your rating of the SP, but I wouldn't say the multiplayer is terrible. It's much more balanced that MW2, but unfortunately it's nowhere near as fun to play as COD4 was and I often find myself getting bored after a while. It's just a shame COD4 is now a ghost town these days, it still had quite a large player base even when MW2 was around :(

10. Arcadiu

Arcadiu What's a Dremel?

To be honest, I loved the campaign missions. Lots of interaction instead of the usual 'march and shoot' gamestyle. I just wish there was a sniper level to liven up the sniping. If they didn't make the scope move like a guy with shell shock sniping would be alright but it's awful as you can't hit anyone! They should add that to all guns if they do it to sniping. The CoD series still has that one overpowered gun but it isn't that prevalent in BO. Ak47u I would say. Zombies is pretty good, not as good as the other WaW maps though. Overall, MW2 was better.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I don't agree that it's more 'balanced' than mw2. Yes that game did have some serious noobtube/commando/shotgun secondary/deathstreak bllsh*t, but its weapon balance was far better than Blackops. 74u is way overpowered, and they overdid the recoil on weapons in general. Not only that, Blackops has the worst hit detection and lag I've seen in a cod game, and to top it off they made sound whoring worthless AND increased the viewkick, which all completely ruin the online experience. I play with guys that have played cod since the first title and, because of those issues, dont consider Blackops a 'cod' game. I agree with them, it's a horrible mess that needs serious patching to sort out.

12. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

MW and BlOps were made by different devs, and the latter made by devs I don't like very much, so I am not surprised that BlOps got worse reviews than MW. To me, BlOps didn't have nearly as many high points in the story as MW had, and in my opinion, only MW1 had a good multiplayer. (I play flight sims and it nags me whenever I see how messed up they made the aircraft in all these games :) )

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just find it sad that 3 years later and they still cant even come close to the MP experience of COD4.

14. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

COD 4 has no players? I don't own the game but I'm having trouble believing that. Are you just saying there are now 100,000 players instead of two million?

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I highly doubt there was ever 2 million players on COD4, as even when MW2 and Black Ops were first released they only just broke 100,000 players at their peak. I'm talking about the PC version here BTW. I went on last week some time to have a quick game, but none of the servers I used to frequent (some only a few months ago) weren't there any more, and the only ones that were left with any players on were generally 50-slot TDM servers (which I never cared for in the first place anyway, the best servers were usually the ones with <20 players).

16. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I've seen just over 1 million online on black ops launch on xbox360 :thumb:

17. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I'd say Black Ops is the best COD game yet. it's got all of the massive improvements mw2 had but with much better weapon balance and perk balance. the only things that need tweaking in mp are the sniper rifles and the famas/ak-74u. apart from that i would say it's just about perfect.
    Single player was also much better than mw2 (absolute nonsense). the story largely made sense and had some pretty memorable moments. you also have the zombie mode which is a great romp of fun.

some people just hate the series with no real reason because of the legions of 12 year old f&*ktards who permeate the online modes (not so much on pc). while i can understand the hate for the majority of the fanbase, i can't help but give credit where credit is due and i must say that BO is a solid shooter at worst.

18. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I think its quite a stretch to say that COD 4 and MW 2 are regarded as the greatest FPSes ever made. In fact, I would say the majority of PC players despise MW 2 for its lack of dedicated servers and hacker filled multiplayer.

Ultimately, COD is linear corridor shooter trash. Quake with assault rifles? No thanks. Played a little bit of Black Ops and it did nothing to change my opinion. Moar BC 2 please, and the messiah of BF 3 will hopefully beat COD into submission through sheer force of awesome.

Edit: I want to make it clear, I've played a ton of MW 2 and COD 4 before that. I had good times with them, but they've had the same mechanics with only aesthetic tweaks for several games and its completely stale. Unfortunately, Kotick is going to continue to milk the franchise until it dies a horrible death and becomes the butt of every FPS joke till the end of days.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2011
  19. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

The problem with blackops is that Treyarch made it, end of story. It's kind of sad that blackops sold as well as it did as it just reinforces Activision's outlook on rehashing the same old crap and driving IPs into the ground.

20. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

ya.... didn't this happen before....

Personally, I'm always a bit sceptical about Treyarch games, and after the bit-tech review - I wouldn't touch that game with a barge pole.