1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New case + a few other bits

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by f300, 24 Jan 2011.

1. f300

f300 What's a Dremel?

Hi

I'm about to change a few things with my rig, just a couple of questions before I go ahead! Firstly, I'm looking to change my case, currently using an old Antec (SLK3800B).

I'm thinking of going for the Antec 300, wondering what the best fans are to put in the front intakes. Looking for something quiet that'll still move enough air. I've always used cases with solid fronts in the past and not mesh, bit worried it'll be noisy. I'm not bothered about silence or anything, just don't want it to sound like a hoover. (I had a huge, blue Juno P6 once and it was SO loud...)

I'll post my kit to double check it's all going to fit in a 300, pretty sure it should be ok as it's all getting on a bit and fits in my current case! I'd like to be able to accommodate a decent upgrade in the case at some point in the future though, but no budget for it at the moment unfortunately!

Currently got a c2d e6600, P5K, 2Gb PC8500 Ballistix, BFG:duh:Geforce 8800GTS 640, WinTV pci, X-Fi, 500w OCZ StealthXStream, TR Ultra 120, Raptor 74gb + 400Gb Hitachi.

I'll be getting another HDD too, 1Tb, am I right in thinking a Samsung F3 is the one to go for?
    Oh also needing a new DVDRW, current NEC/Optiarc keeps failing RW burns then locks the entire machine for ages when trying to read the disc afterwards. Any brands better than others?

Thanks!

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

DVD/RW drive - check out Scan's Today Only page right now, loads of cheap opticals.

Case - I run two Sharkoon Silent Eagle fans in the front of my Antec 300, with one in the rear. I also replaced the stock 140mm TriCool with a Fractal 140mm. The loudest thing in it is the hard drives.

See my sig for details.

The Samsung F3 1TB is the best bang for buck in mechanical drives, has been for a while now.

The Antec 300 is nearly £50 now so it is not a good deal really, considering it has no cable routing. You need to make a decision - either spend more on a much better featured case (e.g. Xigmatek Utgard - £65, Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced - £70, Fractal Define R3 - £81) or go cheaper (e.g. Silverstone Precision PS02B - £38). The Antec 300 was a good deal when it was cheaper, it is not so much now. I have one and think it is great but I got it second hand, I don't think I would buy one new at the moment when there are so many others close in price that are better.

Cases are a personal choice, particularly on the style. Some spend loads on a high quality case, knowing that it will last them many builds. Others just buy what they can at the time. I suggest that you set a maximum budget for a case then read every review of every case that is within your budget and decide.

If you asked me outright for a suggestion for a quiet case, I would say the Fractal Define R3 with a couple of quiet front fans.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just adding to what fingers66 said already. If you spend 50 quid on the 300 then 20 quid on top of that for fans you are very close to buying it's bigger brother if that's the type of case you like.
    Some good cases at the moment are.
    Coolermaster 690II advanced.
    Xigmatek Utgard
    Fractal Define R3
    Coolermaster HAF 912
    Lian-Li PC-7
    Raven Rv2
    I like to go for a good case as it lasts. I have my 1200 for my 2500K and my core2Duo before it.
    The best bang for buck at the moment is something like the coolermaster 690II advanced for sure.
    Although if you want the best build quality Lain li is pretty hard to top.

4. f300

f300 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

I've looked at a few of those cases already before (semi)deciding on the Antec, and have just checked out the ones I hadn't seen. Sorry, I should have put this in the OP, but the reason I picked the Antec 300 is due to my desk. I've measured up and can only fit cases with a depth of 480mm or less (current case is 472mm and only just fits). It's an absolute pain as the Fractal R3 looks brilliant, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to change the desk anytime soon so I'm stuck compromising case choice.

So... It's a question of if there's anything better than the Antec 300 that will fit! I was looking at about £50 for a case but could go to £70-80 if it's worth it. I found a couple cheaper than the 300 that would fit, the Antec 100 and the Silverstone PS03B but I can't find any reviews or info apart from the specs.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Humm. That makes it very difficult. There is a mini R3 comming out soon but i don't know if it will accommodate ATX sized boards. All the other cases seem to be a depth of 490mm.
    I think the Antec 300 might be the only real choice:sigh:

6. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Hmm, the restriction in depth makes it tricky. The ThermalTake Dokker is 485mm (I consider it a great case when it is on offer at Scan for about £25)

The XClio Godspeed 2 Advanced is 480 exact. I have no direct experience with it, but it has also been on offer at scan a few times so check each day
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/xcli...id-tower-case-with-2-x180mm-side-fans-w-o-psu

Or the XClio Nighthawk, again has been on offer a few times. It has only a depth of 440. Comes with 4 fans too apparently, again I have no direct experience with it though
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/xcli...-tower-case-black-10-front-bays-18cm-side-fan

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. poot

poot What's a Dremel?