1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dawn of War II: Retribution Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I played 1&2 not satisfied

3. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Dawn of War has always done this. The expansions have been stand alone products and the later expansions are usually a full revamp. I think it was Chaos rising that changed DoW into something semi-resemling what we got with DoWII

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Siwini - your argument is rendered into chainsword fodder.

Good review chap :) I will point a few things out mind...

The Tau and Necron's aren't around as I believe this is still based in the Aurelian sub-sector right? Neither of which races are anywhere!

Also, Ordo Malleus and Ordo Hereticus wouldn't be around if its Eldar/Orks based chap! It would only been the Ordo Xeno, but there again... I guess they could have involved the Deathwatch, but as there are already enough Space Marines it might go slightly sideways right?

Good review chap, I'm reallllly looking forwards to the game after Chaos Rising!

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I think they could of worked all 3 Inquisitor Orders in. There's obviously a large chaos threat, so Ordo Malleus could be drafted in here, especially with the hulk still kicking around from chaos rising. And Ordo Hereticus could be mentiond in relation to the campaign of chaos rising, namely they could be investigating the degree of corruption The Commander flirted with. I think they missed a trick there.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Is there any reason not to buy this game?!

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Hmm, I disagree. The hulk maybe floating around but the Hereticus wouldn't be in the sub-sector this fast. Remember, the Inquisition may have had a base on Meridian (Hive cities much?) but that was basically annihlated nicely right?

Hmm, it might be a case that the Blood Ravens are now "renegade" as much as the SoulDrinkers are. The problem is, it's not the entire chapter. The Third Company and Honour Guard captain are still very much loyalists. But it's doubtful the greater Imperium knows what occured in DoW2/CR to be honest. Maybe DoW2 with the 'nids but no CR... Remember how ultra-quiet and protected the existance of Chaos Space Marines are?

8. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

Huzzah indeed! This just got even better :D

9. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Fair points, but remember Relic have got to make this an enjoyable game so they can suspend the rules in some places. It's likely they'll add Tau or Necrons in a later expansion.

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Before I read the article I was like "I should buy this game"...
    While reading it I was like "I have to buy this game"...
    After I read the article I am like "I definitely have to buy this game!"

Let us hope that after I played it I won't go like "I should have saved money"...

But I love THQ :D

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I am SO looking forward to this! Collector's Edition preordered. Hurry up please :D

12. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

I hereby declare march 4th is tomorrow. May I have my Steam pre-order now, please.

Dr. Awesome likes this.
  13. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

This is one game I'm really looking forward to - it's about time we were able to play a single-player campaign as different races - particularly looking forward to some real-time ork action! I don't think any veteran 40K players will lament the absence of the Tau either - stupid-looking noob race that was introduced for the sake of it.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I am not looking forward to this at all because DOW2 was ruined for me by the RPG like elements. Such a shame.

15. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

All i can say is there better be a variety of dam last stand maps available with this expansion

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I hope not. I'm still amazed they managed to squeeze almost every race into the DoW games, despite the overall impossibility right? Sorry I dislike "Oh we'll add psyker elves ... because!" in games, *cookie to the person who tells me who I referred to. It should kind of fall on where it's based. The Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Space Marines and Imperial Guard are EVERYWHERE or can be due to tech (Eldar Webway)... but the Tau are still very small and the only Imperial Border they have is with Maccrage (Ultramarine fags.. can never spell their stupid home empire), The Necrons are primarily on dead worlds already, granted they can be anywhere... but I doubt working them into being in Aurelia would just cause so much hassle.

Did the Emperor say it was March 4th? *awaits booming god voice* ... we shall have to wait patiently.

17. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Bah im glad they were added otherwise warhammer newbies like myself would have nothing interesting to be interested in. :D

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

You lot have read far too many Horus Heresy books I think :p

19. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

Im so gone order this wen i get home, still playing DOWII gold edition and its great !!

aldo im a eldar player in the real game

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

bob_lewis: Cancel that preorder and get the Collector's Edition for less than the price of the Steam version, from shopto.net :)

Tags: Add Tags