1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can someone help me find the right case for me?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Leahcim, 13 Feb 2003.

1. Leahcim

Leahcim What's a Dremel?

Can someone help me find the right case for me?
    I'm looking to get a new case, I want an all aluminum one.

What I'm looking for is a nice case that is well suited for modding up. I'm really looking for something with 3 3.5 inch bays exposed and 5 5 1/4 bays exposed.

I have looked at all the Lian-Li and Coolermaster cases and I cannot find any that have the 3 and 5 number of bays. Size isn't really an issue and price isn't either.

Are there any good companies out there that are on par with Lian-Li or Coolermaster? I'm looking for a basic case that can modded well. I don't really like the Chieftec type designs.

I was thinking about getting the Lian-Li PC70 but I'm not sure if I like the look of it, especially the bottom fan holes on the front. Also perhaps the PC-68 where I like the design a lot but there are only 4 5.25 inch bays exposed.

I may be just too picky, but if anyone has an idea on a case that could suit me well, please let me know.

Thank you for any help.

Michael

2. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

If I were you I wouldnt be so picky about the number of drive bays if ur after a coolermaster or Lian li! These are top of the range cases and aslong as u like the look then ul never have to many drive bays!

Have u looked at the coolermaster 201?

Take a look! Its simple but it has alot of modding potential!

Hope that helps!

:hip:

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

after building my ex roomie a new system in a cheap arsed pre-modded case this weekend, I can say i will never purchase anything but a Lian Li case ever again.
    ( he picked it, not me, so save the flaming please)

i have 546654684684 little tiny cuts all over my hands and forearms.

i have a PC-71 and i love it. when i build my girlfriends new box, its going in either a pc-60 or one of those LL desktop cases.

quality means more to me than anything, cause im poor and cant afford to replace stuff all the time. I'd rather save for the stuff thats gonna last.

4. supernismoboy

supernismoboy What's a Dremel?

5. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

If you really need 5x 5.25" bays it will make things pretty tough. What do you need to put in the 5.25" bays? Can you free up a 5.25" by getting a combo drive or using a 3.5" fanbus instead of a 5.25?

6. Leahcim

Leahcim What's a Dremel?

Well... as of right now i'm looking at the PC70 from Lian Li but I'm still not 100% on it.

Right now all 3 3.5" bays will be used, 2 holding a 4 line LCD from Matrix Orbital and 1 holding a atech flash 7-1 media card reader.

As far as 5.25" I have Audigy Plat 2 in one, cd and dvd and I wanted the two extra for future mods or whatever.

The PC70 gives me a nice mix of what I need plus an extra drive bay just in case.

So I dunno, anyone have any personal experience with the PC70 and can recommend it? Any links to some modded PC70s?

7. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I love my PC70 :D

Great big roomy case, lots of space to work in. Plenty of modding potential, but I haven't really done much to mine.

Simply because I can't bring myself to cut big holes in the lovely aluminium :)

Their large size can be a slight problem at times though. You'll need a PSU that has long leads, as it's quite a way from the PSU to the hard drive bays at the bottom front of the case.

It's also quite a long way back from the the CD drives to the back of the motherboards. Although my CD audio cable reached OK, the signal cable for my NewQ Platinum is quite tight. It only just reaches.

The motherboard tray is non-removable, but with a case this size, you're not exactly cramped when fitting it.

I'd quite happily buy a second one.

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

if you do go for a pc 7x, i highly reccommend a enermax psu ... ive got the 431w manual speed adjust one personally .... lots of nice long power cables on it ....

i am still amazed every time i pick up my case ... it weighs less totally full than my old steel case( a mid-tower gateway) did empty , even with psu taken out ....