1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

simple solution: Intel sends everyone rubber plugs to plug into SATA ports 2 to 5. problem solved, and easier than rubber bumpers as well. :lol:

just don't use SATA port 2 to 5 (SATA 3GbpS ports) and you will never see the problem because the transistor in question will not be active. why didn't Intel make this crystal clear is beyond me. it's such a simple fix until recall.

Intel have dealt with this much, much better than Apple, both are statistical problem, both can be solved by avoiding using the statistically affected product differently.

3. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Gutted

I have just built 2 machines using an ASUS p8p67 and an MSI board. What a ballache this could potentially be. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I have lost the little CPU socket covers that come on the motherboards.

Will this affect the return procedure when (or if) the time comes?

Cheers

Eddie

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Doubt it.

5. wyx087

[​IMG]

you won't be affected if you use SATA ports 0 and 1, avoid using SATA ports 2 to 5.

nothing to worry about really, just keep using it, it won't do any harm. just a small transistor affecting port 2 to 5. don't use it is the solution.

6. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Ha ha!

I will try not to panic!

Ed

7. Xir

Xir Modder

That's Intel for ya.

Hey, we just blew 700 milion!
    (Stock dips 0.some percent and rebounces within a day) D'oh!

8. chelseascum

chelseascum Vanila's my favourite flavour

Brill. I just bought a Sandy bridge setup, and I couldn't even get it running because the SATA DVD drive didn't work. Also one of the SATA 6Gbs ports seems to be faulty. Maybe it's just my luck (wouldn't be the first time) but there might be more to this SATA problem than Intel have stated so far.

9. chelseascum

I've got an SSD, 2 SATA hard drives and an SATA DVD drive, how am I supposed to get by with only using ports 0 and 1?

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

If you're having any problems, it's unrelated to this recall. The problem manifests itself over the course of a couple of years, so no one in the world should be having any problems relating to this bug.

It's a convenient opportunity to RMA it anyway though.

11. chelseascum

Fair enough. But if I RMA it now, aren't I either going to get another board with the same fault (the degradation of performance) or have to wait 2 months-ish for a replacement?

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The question is how is such situation handled by UK law. Here in Slovakia any RMA can't be longer than 30 days. If it takes more than 30 days, you can ask the shop to either give you a new piece of same thing you bought and RMA'd (this case cannot be applied here as all boards are recalled) or give you back the money you paid for it. What will you do with the CPU without the board is then your problem :).

13. wyx087

depend on your motherboard, you should have third party SATA controllers as well. Asus' Pro motherboard have 2 extra ports, Asrock Extreme have 4 extra ports.

if you RMA now, you will get same affected motherboard back, and will probably have to get exchanged again in the future.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

15. chelseascum

The Gigabyte P67A-UD3 doesn't, it only has 0-5 from the P67 chipset. This is the motherboard that was part of a bundle I bought from Aria.

I wouldn't be surprised if I have to send the CPU and memory back too, as this was all part of a pre-overclocked bundle. Aria will presumably have to apply the overclock to the replacement part.

16. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Being rather impatient (mainly due to only having a laptop atm) and this appears only impact 3gb SATA connections. Are there any motherboard out there that only have 6gb connectors for my 2 hard drives, 1 ssd and optical drive?

Or should I just lump it for the next two months?

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Don't worry about it at all, nothing will happen to these boards for at least a year.

18. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

On my UD7, I'm currently using SATA ports 0,1,6 and 7. So does this mean that I won't be affected as I'm not using 2,3,4 or 5?

19. chelseascum

What if you want to use the same board for more than a year?

Before I bought this new system I was using a Core 2 Quad Q6600 on ASUS P5KC. I'm not exactly sure how long I've had this setup, but over 2 years.

20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Asus are telling us Retailers, carry on getting your customers to use their boards at least until after chinese new year when they'll know the timeframe their looking at for rolling out these new boards.