1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sandy Bridge chipset flaw halts board shipments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Feb 2011.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yet, with AMD you've still had boards with hardware / cpu / chipset compatibility issues. I had an athlon board with a god-awful opti usb chipset that was just one of it's many failings. Friends who had the same board had the same issues.

At least these days these things tend to get picked up and dealt with. Better to know there's an issue and have the law on your side to get it fixed than suffer in silence with a faulty bit of kit while the manufacture plays dumb

It used to be like this:

In the mid and late 90s, back when Sony still made CRT TVs in Wales, they manufactured a batch of faulty teletext chips. They knew they were unreliable, but the cost of the fix was too great so they kept installing them for years in all the TVs. Every single one of them had a bad chip and would randomly overlay a frame of random symbols, sometimes a few times an hour sometimes not for months.

2. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

see point only one thing remember intels recall of a defective line of Pentium chips ...

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's a very easy concept to grasp. What Storm and I have said is that it's a limited view. It doesn't matter whether or not a certain socket has working chipsets, you can just use a different socket. It's already covered. Your argument only applies if you must have that socket.

Consider how many other things could have failed and caused 1155 systems to be unusable. In this case it's the SATA 2 controller. What if it was the memory controller packaged with the CPU? Obviously no option of multiple suppliers there. What if the SATA 2 controller was on chip with the CPU? What if the architecture itself was flawed? What if Nvidia's chipset had a probvlem too? It doesn't particularly matter. In this case could a second chipset provider have allowed an alternative? Sure. But it really doesn't matter because there's still various other Intel and AMD sockets.

4. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

This is a real shame, everything about sandy bridge seems to be such a solid buy, the price vs what you get is very nice and theres a good selection of motherboards for ATX and M-ATX users from what I've seen. While I don't plan on buying one to replace my desktop PC, over the past few weeks I've been thinking about picking one up and starting to make a media center PC that can handle HD movies and do some light gaming, more specifically I wanted to try a M-ITX build but there is a lack of p67 M-ITX boards on the market so I was gonna settle for one of the h67's but now that you can't find a single sandy bridge motherboard on newegg it looks like that whole plan got put on hold. If the situation doesn't improve I might just wait for the next gen of AMD CPUs and hope for the best. I was really looking forward to trying something new and doing a mini build but sadly it looks like that wont happen for a while.

5. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=984

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

You guys can rant for hours about Intel making a mistake. Fact of the matter is, if Intel did not say anything about this design flaw. Nobody would have known and would be happily running their PC for a few years. But some people would have trouble with their Sata300 ports at some point in the future or when putting more voltage to the chip-set. (aka over-clocking)

8. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

I too remember that, but the fact is you seem to be stating these problems never hit AMD. I was merely reminding you that AMD has recalled products before. :thumb:

Ironically, the response to the Pentium flaw which intel initially refused to refund put the media spotlight on intel and combined with a uprise in advertising, propelled it to a household name :)

9. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

It's a storm in a glass of water... I have one of those chipsets and I'm not worried, when the recall begins I'm sure that my board (2 months old at the recall time) will not have any flaw... It's going to degrade over 3 years, there could be one or another that dies before that, but I think that the bug was found very quickly, and it doesn't concern me at all.

10. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

11. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

well, glad I didnt have the money to upgrade yet

I was kinda surprised that my Yahoo news feed informed me of this a day or so sooner than BT had :shrug:

12. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Just when I have a delivery date on my 2500k (the last bit I needed to get my new build done!) I get this news :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

And as someone else said earlier, this is also my first time adopting new technology on release.

I haven't even got round to getting my P8P67 out of its anti-static bag yet......I don't know whether to finish building it or not, even if it is for a month or two so I can test the CPU and RAM, and then exchange the board.

I wonder if the returns process will be? Through Asus or through the e-tailer?

Last edited: 2 Feb 2011
  13. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

14. skipperoo

skipperoo What's a Dremel?

Just had an email saying my order has now been dispatched and apologies for the delay. Not sure if that means the faults been given the all clear to Scan by Intel?

15. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

degrades in 3 years!! by that time I will have upgraded my mobo twice. I'm gonna keep my Asus p8p67 until April then buy another one. I've tasted the sugar of 2500k and I'm not going back.

So until then I got 2 months to torture this board before I send it off on a "Warranty Issue" HA ha.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think this is the best course of action, especially if Asus say that they will RMA any SB rev B2 board whether it is working or not (like Gigabyte have already done).

Being without a rig until sometime in April/May would be a pain.

17. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

SCANS LATEST UPDATE

Sandy Bridge Important Accouncement

We have just had Important Update information from Intel, Asus, Msi and Gigabyte 16:30Hrs Today - 01/02/11.

This is an agreement Scan has reached with Intel/Asus/Msi & Gigabyte and is not for the time being a general to all vendors. We suggest you check with your Vendor/Supplier.

All of the above parties have agreed on a intermediate solution to the Sandybridge problem.

As there is No Immediate Danger/Fault and as this fault is likely to affect a small number of boards over time and Replacement Stock will Not be available until realistically in April/May, all the parties above have Guaranteed Direct Swap Out of all P67/H67 Boards bought from Scan should you the end user wish to do so at a later date.

Based on this Swap Out Guarantee We have decided to make all P67/H67 Boards available for sale again.

The Decision to buy and use still lies upon you the end user customer.

18. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

How can they continue to sell a board that has been acknowledged as not fit for purpose by the manufacturers? The interesting point is that Scan's announcement says "Direct Swap Out" not vendor . . . .

That is very surprising!! :jawdrop:

19. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Likely because waiting till Late March/April will kill alot of business off if they could not continue to trade in some format...its not like they are going to go back to selling 1156/1336 kits, this way computer stores/suppliers can continue to trade knowing they can swap boards out direct with the manufactures later at little/no cost and it allows them to continue to sell sandybridge.

I am a prime example i am going to sink £950 into a new sandybridge system next month including memory and other bits like Psu's/case etc - but was not going too unless i either saw the new boards out or had some sort of assurance i could swap out the board later....if this was not on offer i would hold off till april when the new boards were out as others had also mentioned in the forums and elsewhere...so retailers would miss out on alot of trade in the meantime and not just with sandybridge kit...

20. lexloofah

lexloofah What's a Dremel?

Can devices be plugged into 4 sata 6Gbps at the same time? Would this then avoid the whole issue?

Tags: Add Tags