1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I think a like for like exchange when Scan receive the updated boards is a very good and fair idea - although at this rate, with my 580 going back, I'll have nothing left of my original build!

Regarding proof of purchase, I am sure Scan would have all of our details in their system, so pretty easy to check...

2. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

OcUK have been doing the same, they even have the cheek to offer some SATA cards too. It's pretty much what someone in their forums said - you don't go to a garage and buy a car with faulty wheels and then the garage offers to sell you some wheels.

Also, how are we going to differentiate with which chipset revisions they have if they're going to keep them on sale?

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I would think the obvious answer would be when they(retailers) receive the new boards the old ones in there stock would be going back to asus/msi etc etc.

4. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Dabs UK only stock ASUS SB boards and their take on the situation is breathtaking
    "This Asus P67 based motherboards (sic) has an additional 2 SATA6Gb/s ports on board which do NOT use the intel controller but a 3rd party one from Marvell, these ports in addition to ports 0 & 1 on the intel controller are NOT affected by the sandy bridge SATA issues widely discussed online, therefore these ASUS sandybridge boards have 4 SATA 6Gb/s ports that will NOT develop the fault and can be used permanently with no issue.**"
    So no recall there, just forget about the 4 SATA II ports.
    Scan are looking really good in the light of that statement.

5. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

May have already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but Asus have announced their own official recall policy for their mobo's

Source: http://event.asus.com/2011/SandyBridge/notice/
    Just reading the post about Dabs made me think I should post this :)

6. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Spoke to Yoyotech today, where I got my board from. They said, quote "All P67 boards will be replaced in April without any quibbles". To be honest, I'm perfectly happy using my board in the meantime. I don't even use the affected ports.

7. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

So if I buy a SB motherboard from Scan in March, they'll let me have it for a month then trade me a new one in April?

That sounds fair. I will still need an upgrade before April no matter what and having to go the X58 route would be a little painful.

8. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

My thoughts exactly :) I just didn't want to say it! :thumb:

9. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

@Oggyb
    That is what their site says, so as long as you buy Asus, Gigabyte or MSI (only companies they list as having the agreement with) you will be able to swap it once the new boards arrive.

10. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I'd be very, very careful with this.

By Buying an item you know to be faulty, your giving up quite a lot of your consumer rights, accepting the item, knowing it has a fault gives you no recourse from the supplier.

It's all good and well for Scan to say that they will honour the exchange but if you've bought it, know it's faulty, they legally have to do jack dingily.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Not sure how it's going down on your side of the pond, but in the US most sites have stopped selling P67 boards. The manufacturers have recalled unsold boards from the retailers.

12. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

most retailers have stopped selling here as-well although a couple are still selling with the advice to use ports 0 and 1 and with the promise of replacement once the recall gets the full go ahead

13. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Well I might get Scan to send me a letter confirming their intention to honour the replacement scheme on the day I buy my gear.

14. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Not sure thought i would screenshot there statement, worst case a judge would agree you bought the board on there current statement and the fact they were to honor it much like buying a used car with a 3 month warranty ...and it would not be worth scans reputation to go back on it.

15. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

Ok, rather odd response from ebuyer here, this doesn't seem to tie up with what intel have said so far? What is going here?:

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

A sticky from the Ebuyer forum:
    Still playing catchup methinks...

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ebuyer are a shady bunch anyway, and love wriggling out of RMAs. Only affecting Asian market? Yeah, what crack have they been smoking?

18. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I learnt long ago (2002 - I think..) never to buy any kind of high value componant/s from Ebuyer, based on personal experience. I note they haven't changed much, then?

19. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

anyone got any idea how best to respond to them? I'm not putting with with that bull**** response!

20. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Would it be worth contacting Asus (European Division) directly, and ask where you stand regarding this issue?
    You could then contact Ebuyer with Asus' answer.