1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CustomPC & Bit-tech ppd database

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by standinwave, 19 Dec 2010.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I can confirm that while folding with GPU2 makes very little difference to SMP, that is not the case with GPU3. I've never bothered to note down the numbers, but will do so in the next few days and report back. Somewhere I've seen that each GPU3 client uses about half a core.

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Yes, you would get a long list of submissions for the same GPU working on the same WUs. That's the idea, making a statistical study for every piece of hardware and offering it to people that are considering committing their chips to folding, to see what results they can expect.
    The way I see it, this proposed database (web page or section of the forum) should give you a list of chips and when clicked on one of them, offer (maybe also in a graphical way) the ranges of ppd results submitted for the different WUs it can process. Take the 8800GT for example, if one were to access this page, would click on this chip from a listing, would see that it produces between 3800 and 5100 ppd depending on WU, but generally it revolves around the 4500 figure (assessment that should be clearly visible from the number of submissions that are close to that).
    Also, the information about different clock speeds, should give the reader the idea that an overclock of x% would produce an increase in ppd of y%.

3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I hear your points, but there are so many overclocked combinations for x chip and y WU. It could be more confusing to someone starting out.

Maybe two front ends for the database - one for basic new users, and one for more advanced users who want to overclock their chips etc?

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

A lot of combinations indeed. We could start with just the stock results and see how that goes, and later figure out what the best way to present the overclocked figures is.
    The database and the front ends are doable, but the real problem is getting enough data in for statistical analysis. And I'm saying this because you can only let registered members submit results. It would be too easy for someone to taint the results by introducing a ppd of 1 for an i7 or 153298 for a 8600GT. You need to keep track of who's submitting what, and question them on their numbers if they seem too far off.

5. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

Looks like BY have "turned it of and turned it on again" as my webspace is working again (like anyone but me is bothered!)

6. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

maybe when submitting results its must be the average ppd of two or more different project numbers (not same project but different run or clone)

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Ok basic atm but could people start adding in some GPU's for me, the more data I have the more things I can paly around with.

thanks

http://folding.bluntpencil.co.uk/Bit-tech_Database/GPUs.php

Click add GPU.

Fill out as:

Model: (GPU NAME) 8600GT
    Clock: (CLOCK SPEED FILL AS NUMBER PLEASE) 675
    Shaders: (SHADER SPEED FILL AS NUMBER PLEASE) 1512
    Drivers: (DRIVER VERSION USING) 186.18
    PPD: (FILL OUT AS NUMBER) 1,800
    Client: (FERMI OR NON-FERMI)
    Username: (Your Bit-tech Username)

8. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

You are going to have to add in the WU or the PPD is irrelevant as the Fermi cards PPD varies so much depending on the WU

9. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I'm using Client GPU6.30r2 but with pre-Fermi cards. I think it is wrong to have the client field as Fermi/non-Fermi, since 'Fermi-ness' is a property of the card, not the client.

10. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

not if you take an average of two or more differen't WU's

11. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

For instance:

i5 760 @ stock 7k-9k ppd
    Oc'ed to 3.6ghz 9k-11.5k ppd

then installed GPU3

smp approx 8k ppd
    gpu3 approx 14k ppd

last couple of WU's smp & gpu3 both getting arround 10k ppd

I fold 24/7, but will web browse and youtube while folding.......

wouldnt there need to be a 'benchmark WU' to get a more accurate results ???

smp folding, gpu folding and smp + gpu folding

I would love to see this happen though. Suppose it would be easier if CPC/ Bit tech included PPD in reviews, then if/when people add to it the lowest and highest ppd could be displayed ???

12. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I think what we should do is nominate someone who can host a spreadsheet or build on Votick's online system (if he doesn't mind hosting it of course) and then we log the following info in it:

CPU:
    Username (coolamasta)
    CPU Model & Speed (Intel i7 920 @ 4.2ghz)
    Operating System (Windows 7 Pro x64)
    FAH Client version (SMP, Systray)
    Project no: (P6900)
    -SMP enabled? (Yes)
    -bigadv enabled? (Yes)
    -verbosity 9 enabled? (Yes)
    -advmethods enabled? (No)
    PPD produced: (30,100)
    How many GPU clients running? (1 x GPU3)

GPU
    Username (coolamasta)
    GPU Model & Speed (Nvidia GTX460 @ 800/1600/2000)
    Operating System (Windows 7 Pro x64)
    GPU Driver version (Nvidia 260.00)
    FAH Client version (GPU3)
    Project: (P6605)
    -advmethods enabled? (No)
    PPD produced: (12400)
    CPU client running? (Yes)

Something like that anyway as it will be good to know, what do you think?

Votick - is it hard to create a CPU PPD Database as well and add the above info to GPU? Also wonder if you can put them in order of PPD or something for reference? :D

13. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I can order them by PPD easy.
    I don't mind hosting it.
    It's not hard to re-create the mysql database and I wouldn't mind someone being the main stats importer.

Also I will change the table names tonight and add some new colums as you suggested.

14. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

I can either re-enter the GPU stats I put in or amend them with the extra info ...:thumb:

15. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

Hows it going with the database thingy? lol

As a folding noob with the bug biting badly I would love to know how the lower 4series GPU's are doing ppd/£ wise, stock and OC'ed

Cheers