1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dust prevention via high internal pressure?!?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Arcana, 13 Feb 2003.

1. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine and I were discussing the possibilities of using higher internal air pressure to prevent dust in a case...but I'm not so certain...anyone know any facts or doen any tests?

For example...if you have equal amounts of exhaust and intake then you will have neutral pressure in your case.

If you have greater intake than you do exhaust then you end up with high internal pressure...

If you have greater exhaust than you do intake then you have low internal pressure.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't high internal pressure keep dust out a bit more? Or would it be the other way around...more exhaust than intake = less dust?

Dust aside...which method offers the best cooling?

Currently I have more intake than exhaust fans...and I'm noticing a lot of dust on my window...but its a larger window and is more plastic-like than my old case. (Xaser II) so I dunno if its more or less dust than before...any ideas?

2. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

Higher internal pressure will stop dust from 'seeping in' through vents and the like, which have no fans to suck anything in. Lower internal pressure will 'suck in' air and dust from any vents or gaps in the case.

There isn't any point in worrying about it though, because almost all the dust it sucked in through the intake fan anyway, so the best soultion would be a filter.

Also, it's a good idea to keep the internal pressure pretty much neutral (same amout of air blown in as sucked out) so that the fans don't have to work harder to keep the 'pressure' up and wear out more quickly.

::EDIT::

It is always a good idea to have the same number of each: intake and exhaust. Who knows, maybe an extra exhaust would move the dusty air out faster, so the dust doesn't have as much of a chance to settle on your components?

3. Spoonman

Spoonman What's a Dremel?

Here's my guesses (haven't actually tried anything, so I don't have hard results. :) )

Low Internal - Probably worst for dust since it would be sucked in. Also, I don't think cooling would be great since hot air isn't escaping as fast as it should be.

High Internal - Still gonna see some dust, cause it's gonna come in through cracks and fans. Cooling wouldn't be that great either since new air isn't entering to cool.

Neutral - Still gonna see dust, cooling is probably best since there is good air ciculation.

Basically, I think the best bet is to get a filter for the intake fans if you're worried about dust.

Those are just my thoughts though...

4. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

Any ways ya'll know of to measure airflow or air pressure in a case??? I'd liek to see how I stand.

Plus...whats the best kinda filter out there to keep out the most dust without disrupting airflow...

Thanx for the replies!

5. SJP

SJP What's a Dremel?

Whether the air enters the case through slots and cracks (negative pressure), or via fans (positive pressure) the air is the same, and so the dust is the same. The only difference is that the higher the air-flow, the more dust enters your case.

I'd guess that at higher flows, the turbulence may keep the dust in suspension, not allowing it to settle.

My old case had around 200cfm inflow, and 120cfm outflow, and still got dusty inside. My new case has 290cfm inflow, and 250cfm outflow, and it's blowing the existing dust away again :naughty:

Either fit filters to the inflow fans, or clean your case periodically!

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

a single ply coffee filter works decently (gotta change em about once a month) but also due to the nature of electronic componenets they have a slight static charge so they are likely to draw in dust no matter what.. every once in awhile i use compressed air and a vacuum cleaner to clean my case out..
    and about the high pressure.. I dont think you would really start to see a noticable difference until you got the pressure to about 2 psi diffference and i doubt you could get that.. also doesn't help when the case is off

7. TwiSteD LoGic

TwiSteD LoGic What's a Dremel?

For filters I find the anti-static laundry sheets work quit well. They also give your case a nice fresh smell =P

I change mine about once a month... I could go longer, but its not that much of a chore.

I used to run without any filter at all and I can say this definatly makes a difference. I would say about one third of the dust I used to get is now accumulating...

Good luck, if you find a great solution be sure to share it.

8. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

Well, gonna try the coffee filter as well as the anti-static dryer sheet....will also look into some thin vacuum cleaner hepa filter replacements and see what I can come up with.

Either way, I'm gonna want to make it as easy to swap out as possible...liek a quick release or something that I can mount the filter to and slide into place...

9. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

Keeping a slightly positive pressure keeps my case pretty tidy. I used to have a 3 in 3 out (same 80mm fans) setup and that got pretty dusty. I added a 4th intake and that has helped keep some of the dust down plus no dust build up between cdroms etc. It's not spotless but keeps the need for cleaning away for a while. If you decide to get filters though keep in mind they will probably reduce the airflow of whatever fans you attach them to. So if you filter all your intake fans now you might end up having negative pressure again.