1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Royal Mail

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 8 Feb 2011.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I think im long overdue for a rant

Just got an email from an ebay seller telling me they had a package returned that was being sent to me, Royal mail had damaged it....

Now i could understand if this was a large heavy box or a fragile item... accidents happen people drop stuff fair enough...

But it was a hoodie?? im not sure how its damaged but i find it hard to believe it was just someone being clumsy.... i mean crushing it would'nt do anything its just fabric so it has to be tearing or something along those lines and it was a thick genuine volcom hoodie... so it would have taken a bit of effort

This is the third problem from two lost packages from trusted BT members (Mankz. -xp-)

Lucky the seller has offered me a full refund or a choice of another one in stock as the one i wanted is now out of stock :(

Comon Royal Mail get your act together!!

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It probably put through a machine that it shouldn't have which chewed it up. Consolation it probably cost a fortune to de-gum the machine.

3. DeadP1xels

I imagine a poor post man having to return a chewed up mess :p

Im hoping the seller got some form of compensation on it because he said "You can pick any of the hoodies we have in stock as replacement" theres only one thats close to the price i paid for the volcom one so i sent him a message

"So how would i go about the price difference" who knows i might get more for my money :p

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Aren't packages insured anyway? I've never had to claim but I've sold a few graphics cards and they'd always ask how much the package is worth.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

**** happens. Lots of hate for the Finnish post as well, but tbh I've had very little problems with them. My package has been delivered to wrong town once and to wrong office once, but considering the amount of stuff I've sent and received, it's not too bad.

Bad luck, but it's good to hear you get the refund.

6. DeadP1xels

Think so depends on how you send it, tbh im not that fussed but imagine if it was something important

Granted you would'nt send it via royal mail but you should'nt expect it to get chewed either

My other one from a different company turned up though so i atleast got one new one :rock:

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Royal Mail is a right mess. My mother in law posted a birthday present to me on Jan 6th and it didn't arrive. We looked into it and we had to wait something like 28 days to report it lost. On Jan 29th I went to the post office on my way to work to collect a parcel which they'd tried to deliver the day before. The queue for the collections office was unusually long and not moving fast. It was only when I got to the front and handed in my slip that the truth became clear. After about 10 minutes of waiting the guy returns with 2 parcels! "we've had this one waiting for you also" he explains. Then I realised everyone was there to collect 1 parcel and leaving with multiples!

While they were clearing the december snow and christmas backlog they stopped delivering new parcels coming into the system in January and were working through the pile as people came to pick up more recent stuff!!!

So there you go. All that needs to happen to completely destroy Royal Mail is a big downpour of snow in december and a national holiday that occurs every year!

My brother runs a courier firm and since the start of this year he's been so busy he's had to take on 2 additional drivers and buy 2 more vans. If RM keeps up the current trend of underperforming I imagine he'll be able to retire soon!

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Insured up to £40 (I'm 99% sure) in standard package delivery. Anything above that and you need special delivery, else it's not insured properly.

9. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I am a dispatch supervisor for a fairly large internet retailer, we send 30k packages minimum a day and up.

Now we use Royal Mail, for about 90% of the mail and we also use couriers like DHL, Interlink, UPS, HDNL.

We have to unload 1000's of boxes of the products every day from all the couriers and if you think there is a few boxes accidently dropped now and again, don't fool yourselves the majority of the boxes/packages get thrown across the vehicles, the delivery drivers will walk over the boxes, they will wet in the back of the van etc.

I would trust Royal Mail more over some of the couriers, Royal Mail has proper equipment for mail/packages and damages do happen albeit less frequently than other couriers services.

RM provide us with equipment to put mail into, and every week you will find something in these red sleeves that are strapped into a metal cage called a York, one time we found a letter that was dated 1999 no joke.

Now to the gentlemen who is ranting, you will probably find that your item got dropped onto the floor and ran over using one of these York that i described. Tearing the outer package and maybe making the hoodie dirty or something similar.

I will tell you also when Labour introduced these competitive laws so that companies like DHL, TNT could do more business in the UK mail, it has completely ruined the system.

You drop off mail to DHL or TNT and then they sort it and then give it to RM for the last mile(to the door) and its cheaper.

Its cheaper and there is another man in the middle, why because royal mail have to charge cheaper to the courier companies. What has happened because of this, royal mail has lost money, they lose equipment because they have to provide the couriers with their equipment, they have lost man power and now the customers US are feeling the effect.

Thanks LABOUR!

10. DeadP1xels

The company emailed me back and said that the price was fine :)

So i can pick one more expensive if i want Yay!! although i still would have prefered the volcom one :(

11. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

My missus had all her birthday cards delivered from home (with cheques/vouchers in), and Royal Mail sent it to the wrong address, and then that address gave them back to the postman.

Got 'lost' after it was in his hands, and unfortunately her mum didn't use recorded delivery..

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I have had some massive issues with royal mail recently.

Since the new year they have been utter shite, I have ordered 4 items. And one of them took 3 weeks to arrive on first class post. something that should have taken 2 days cause i paid for 2 day delivery took a week and something sent 4 weeks ago has still no arrived!!

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

-1 to RM.

sent 4 packages last year and 3 were lost. says it all really.

oh and insurance doesnt mean anything unless you have the original reciept of purchase as i tried to claim back for a mobo which was lost (£30 worth) and it was 3 years old.

i was sent 6 1st class stamps instead with a letter of sorry after about 60 days after my parcel was orginally lost !!!!

cant wait for it to be sold

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I had 2 packages sent to me, had to have it redelivered, and only 1 package was redelivered, no good.

Sam

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

If Royal Mail did broadband, it'd have terrible packet loss...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Err, never had a problem with them.
    Have many various items of various value (£10-£100+)
    Never had anything lost or damaged, only thing that I've ever received damaged was by courier.
    Generally a great service from my experience

17. dex2407

dex2407 What's a Dremel?

ok i gonna chime in mainly cos i work for them, secondly cos i work my ass off daily trying to make sure people get there stuff. think of the the volume royal mail handles, the amount lost/damaged is very small amount.

iirc most of the uk shut down in that snow, but the biggest reason is our health and safety loving country. stupidly we just are not allowed to go out when the snow is coming down, we want too cos we have twice as much the next day. we get out when snow has stopped, the snow has 'iced' by then which is even worse. now where i live/work, we did go out much as we could (i think we missed one day) and worked extra to get stuff done. we cleared all mail in our office by Christmas eve.

as for the multiple packet collection thing, thats weird we dont do it. guessing thats down to your office.

everything posted royal mail is insured, you just need proof of postage. when you post a packet the server will ask how much its worth, so it can be posted with enough insurance to cover it.

this, this is what is happening and nobody is really aware, everyone is quick to point and blame. we dont charge cheaper we charge a flat (UNREALISTIC) rate forced on us. as for the packet, yea it happens ive seen it stuff gets dropped etc. we rushed trying to get stuff done. the thing is the seller will be refunded and that will be passed to you.

thats one of the worst i have heard off, im sorry. if its happening a lot take the complaint higher up the chain. a lot of this is not down to royal mail but the actual people who work for them. pot luck really on what service you get depending on where you live. ifyou think service will get better once sold think again.

again like i said depends where you live. i get a lot of complaints in my area about couriers. we are slowly winning back customers too, because people are realizing the grass isn't greener.

not the company but a FEW (and i accentuated that on purpose) people that work for them that really just cant be bothered. AND MOST JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME, we are given more and more to do in the same time. somethings gonna give.
    i love my job and like i said i work my ass of to make sure its done properly, luckily i work in a good office in a good location.

as said the company is being squeezed to the hilt to save money. i do believe royal mail makes money but they factor in the pension deficit (show me any company that offered a final pension salary who doesn't have a deficit) and they lose money. also as said we have to deliver mail for other couriers heavily reduced. now other couriers undercut the rate we charge by a few pence, and pay us 4.5p to deliver i think. all they do is collect the mail, sort it then give it to us. we have to transport it through our network to delivery offices, then sort and deliver it. we make a huge loss on this, but are forced to do it by government (labour). and so cuts are made to save money, trouble is cuts are affecting service. rising fuel costs are not helping, think of the size of our fleet cars, trucks, lorry's, planes.

as for selling royal mail, what do you think will happen. look at the gas /water / telecoms, they got privatized. service got worse, prices went through the roof, whilst they made more and more profit. This will happen to royal mail end of story, also there are lots of hand shakes on this deal that no one realizes. i dont now exactly but just Google. i think government will take on royal mails pension responsibility, and there will be a large (millions) fund put aside for the new owner to maintain the USO. this is labour/mandelsons stupid ass legacy.

return rant over, sorry op not at you personally. i know its hassle, but end of day not you or your retailer will be out of pocket. it just annoys me i hear this daily, and no one really knows what is goin on behind the scenes.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I've had nothing but good experience with royal mail so far, although right now i'm still waiting on a package that was shipped on friday. They usually arrive in two days which is nuts considering i'm in mainland europe.

Yeah, i know it's not up to them once the stuff leaves the UK but they have plenty of opportunities to mess up while they have my parcel and so far they haven't.

19. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

I feel for you, I remember when a postman once when I was in the shower and couldn't answer the door for the postman, and he just through the package through an open window. Unfortunately the open window was to the loo, and and seat was up so the package went straight into the lavatory.

My gf since then won the case to keep the toilet seat down.. :D

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:hehe:, although, :geek: RM atually does do broadband (and I find them a lot better than Pipex (which I was on previously))