1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel resumes shipping of faulty Sandy Bridge chipsets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Feb 2011.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

@alialias
    Win 7 and Vista both deal pretty well with an existing install of Windows being booted on new hardware, and yes, the OEM version is cheaper.

Personally I've just had to put my upgrade plans on hold for at least 6 months, my car's just decided to blow it's head gasket, and then I'm moving house in a few months. After all that hopefully all these issues will be fixed (plus in 6 months there'll be new kit out, and existing stuff will be a bit cheaper so it's no hardship I guess)

2. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

I could swear I saw the picture move while reading the caption under it. Very Enigma-artsy. Anyone else thought it moved?

3. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

thanks!

4. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'll definately be replacing my P8H67-M Pro board. I have a 980x system for gaming on and wanted a 2nd pc for browsing, playing FM11 on etc.

I built a system that I thought would be ideal. I am already sick of it. It won't stay stable for more than 30 mins before blue screening. I bought the 2500 as I wasn't interested in overclocking it. There's not even a GPU in the system. I've tried changing the few settings that I can but nothing helps.

The sooner the new boards are out, the sooner this goes back.

5. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

chris, your running your boards latest bios correct? ive heard many of the issues are because of the virgin bios the first gen boards shipped with.

i dont mean to rub it in anyones face, but all the asus horror stories make me all the happier i went against the grain and got a GB board. its been flawless so far. the only "problem" i have is the board posts so fast that i barely have time to get into the bios :hehe:

6. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Holy ****, me too.

7. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Yep, am running the 0401 bios. I would have responded sooner if it hadn't blue screened trying. (I have also run memtest on the ram, using my other machine and both sticks work perfectly)

8. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Bit of a kick in the teeth for early adopters, but then I suppose that's one of the calculated risks associated with purchasing spangly new tech!

My advice for those of you thinking of moving to Sandybridge architecture now would be to get all the other bits you need such as CPU (assuming all of you are going for the i2500k), DDR3 RAM (check the tasty deal listed in the Marketplace forum), shiny GFX etc, bit by bit as you get paid to spread the cost, and wait to get your mobo until they sort the revised versions in April/May.

Don't bother buying one now, seriously, it's not worth the hassle to go through the returns process, never mind the fact you'll need to dismantle your system and possibly be without a computer (although I would imagine most of us here have a notebook as well as a desktop) while they send you a new board.

9. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Well, this reaaallllyyyyy sucked. I was about to buying a new system (2600K, GA-P67A-UD7, GTX580, etc,etc), but NOW I need to wait and that sucks a lot!

10. ooey

ooey What's a Dremel?

*Beware* if you get windows 7 OEM. Once its installed its tied to the motherboard, so if you swap it out, it will mean a long call to M$ to convince them you are not a pirate! Apparently this is less of an issue with the retail version.

11. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

my monies arent exactly flowing freely at the minute due to a deposit on next years house, so i think im gonna go for 'tripwired's plan, seems quite sensible!

12. xion

xion Minimodder

I feel people may be missing a point here; I know these will end in systems that are "are not impacted by the design issue" but what exactly does that mean? are we to expect [*insert box shifter name*: e.g. dell] to include one of these into boxes that ship with one hard drive - because it uses one of the unaffected sata ports... may not be an issue for now, but how many people will buy, and then at some point within its life slap in another hard drive, or change round, the customer once again is stuffed with a ticking data bomb, that they may know nothing about.

I'd even go as far as to suggest the likelihood of this would increase substantially knowing there may be discounts on this defective product to the OEM's. Something tells me there would be nothing included outside of the tiny-print that warns average Joe that his new shiny machine is built with potentially duff components.

"...you are hereby notified that any attempt to use one of the SATA 3Gbps ports on P67 or H67 chipsets is not recommended and unsupported due to the way our products are custom built for you and will invalidate the warrantee..."

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering if retailers are selling faulty boards with extreme discounts. If you know any...

14. Zebo

Zebo What's a Dremel?

Even more reason to demand refund when Z68 comes and get that.. Who's you say your new mobo doesn't accidentally get part of the old batch they are still shipping... you know simple human error having those defective chips on the shop floor. Let alone other things.

The whole issue is a non issue to 90% of us though..I mean who really has a 3 yrold system here? But I'd wait for Z68 anyway. For resale if nothing else so buyer does not have to fret.

15. xion

xion Minimodder

I'd wager a lot more than 90% of the computers in daily use are more than 3 years old...

as much as i'd live a new cruncher, my spec still holds out well for all that i need it to do - E6400, p5w DH Deluxe, 2GB, 4Hdd ~2TB... and a x1950 pro, yes i sorely want an update, but the cash machine says no...

16. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Still on an old system here (skt 939 X2, 2GB DDR, HD4850), does most of what I need.

I looked into Sandy Bridge, but as is the same for some people at the moment the cash machine says no - although I might hold out for skt 2011

17. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing these will be used in laptop and boxes that will not offer the sata connectivity to the faulty ports on the chipsets. ---> no problem, ever

18. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Me, I'm using a 3 yr old laptop and I just upgraded my 6yr old desktop to a faulty p8p67 pro. I should have just gone for a previous generation core i5 system, would have cost half as much and been twice as reliable. :grr:

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

ehh, have you checked prices on 1156 kit lately? the price hasnt dropped. a 2500K is only $20 more than the i5-750 is still selling for...and p55/p67 mobos are about the same price.

thats why i upgraded my fiancée to sandy bridge when our original plan was p55/i5.

20. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I could be wrong (I often am if you ask my wife), but I get the impression these are to be used in machine that will ONLY use the SATA 6Gbps ports. Basically nettops and laptops. Maybe some mini-ITX boards that only have 2 ports on them.

Tags: Add Tags