1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad SLI PSU

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by kerno, 9 Feb 2011.

1. kerno

kerno I overclocked my MP3 player

Hi all,

i have just managed to get a hold of a MSI K9A2 Platinum and have been running a 9600 GSO and a GTX 460 both overclocked on a 530 PSU. However my other folding rig that runs the same two cards I managed to pop the PSU going for a higher OC on the processor. That means I now have all 4 PCI-E slots full on the MSI and am running two 530w PSU's that are getting on a bit and I am having real trouble keeping these cards folding. Keep getting unstable card errors so I have set the GTX 460's back to stock clock hoping that the main problem is a lack of power.

What PSU would I need to run quad SLI with OC GTX 460's? And a OC CPU AMD Quad core?

Thanks for all your help

Paul

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

You'll need a PSU with eight 6/8 PCI plugs if you're running four GTX 460s. You'll want some headroom so that you aren't running your PSU at maximum all the time, especially if you are running 24/7. Get a good brand name.

I use 800W and 1000W PSUs from Corsair or Enermax for similar systems. Not cheap, but they should be able to take anything I throw at them.

3. kerno

Thanks for the advice I am running two 530w PSU's at current and they are struggling with any form of over-clock. The PSU's are not new have have seen plenty of use. I have been looking at 1200w PSU but they are very expensive it may be cheaper to go two 750w or so. What would you recommend doing?

Cheers

Paul

4. Deders

Deders Modder

How many amps can the rail that powers your motherboard handle? the graphics cards will draw up to 75w from the PCIe slots each, so potentaily that could be as much as 25A, might be why you're having difficulty overclocking You'll most likely want something with over 30-35A on the frist 12v rail, the others don't need to be as much.

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I think you can go for about 900W (850 at the least) for gtx 460's. For more headroom I'm going to have to say Enermax Revolution 1050W, Corsair HX1000W or for more headroom- Corsair AX1200w.
    The least you'll get away with is Corsair AX850W.

6. kerno

Thanks for the info never thought about the draw from the board itself I will check the next PSU for these figures.

Paul

7. kerno

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I've had no problems with the coolermaser PSUs I've used, however others here have had issues I think.

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

There were a few cheaper Coolermaster PSU's that have been problematic in the past but ive been using 2 x 900w and 1 x 1200w Coolermaster PSU's running 24x7 folding for well over a year now and they are running sweet as a nut so I cant see why you would have any problems with that one from Scan :)

10. kerno

Thank you all for you advice. I may give the 1200w from Coolermaster a go only £130 from Scan. Some of the others suggested seem very good if not better but with prices over £200 for the same money I can get this PSU and nearly another 460.

Thanks again and keep on folding! :rock:

11. kerno

Coolermaster 1200w on the way should be with me on Monday, thanks again for all your advice if it blows or is a bit poor I will let you know.

Cheers

Paul