1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad 2 enters production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Feb 2011.

1. kempez

kempez modding again!

Arguing and extolling the various ad campaigns of Apple and Microsoft gets you nowhere. Microsoft wish they could Market like Apple. Dell's adverts are just as full of absolute tosh...Sony....the lot of them. They want to sell stuff, that's what they do.

The Apple ecosystem (closed wall or however you want to put it), is very easy to use, works well and lasts a long time. No-one accounts for the fact that Mac OSX gets faster with every generation, even on old hardware....Windows simply requires more brute force to run. And that's not even thinking about the amount of times I've had to faff around with Windows getting things working. Doesn't happen even a quarter of the times on OSX.

I'm looking forward to the next gen of tablets. I'm looking to replace my traditional pen and pad for meetings with one....we'll see if it's iPad 2, or something else ;)

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Customization brings alot of problems with it like compatibility-issues, etc... And alot of people don't need any customization, but only a system that works and does what they bought it for.

Apple sells complete systems (hardware+OS) ment for those people.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

They don't and they don't. Check the figures. But the point is: Apple commercials may sound like fashion commercials, but it does what it says on the tin. People get that better than the list of specs that PC World rattles off.

I disagree. Parents see computers as a potential learning tool and consoles as an expensive, addictive time-wasting distraction that turns their kids into anti-social school shooters with rickets.
    A decent gaming PC costs the same as a console. The Wii has repositioned itself as an easy to use, cheap, fun family/social activity system, like the PS1 once did. The convenience of its closed system has not harmed it --or the PS3, or the X-Box.

The reason we see jailbreaking on the iPhone is because except for the closed wall, people rather like the iPhone. That is why it keeps selling so well even though we are on the 4th generation and open alternatives have been available since the last three. Contracts last only 18 months. I know people who get offered an upgrade every year. With the iPhone getting real money on eBay or Mazuma, selling up and switching sets is a synch. Sorry, not buying the arguments.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
  4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Well I do own the iPad, iPhone, iPod and I've parted with my hard earned cash. That gives me the right to say whatever the hell I like about Apple and it's products.

Have I found an alternative on all three? Yes, Yes and Yes.

Apple will not get my money again, that I can guarantee you.

Keep following those sheep girls!

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

for some reason ... I don't believe you. I've checked back on your posts regarding Apple and you have always come across (to me) as anti-Apple, and anti-ATi (if I remember right?). I've always thought of you as the most outspoken and biased poster towards Apple on these forums at least.

I think you would have us believe you have owned those products to help boost your biased posts as a means of adding evidence of having-a-clue.

I know you would love to throw the word troll at me again, but I'm entitled to my point of view, and that is it.

6. Nexxo

I'm with Leveller on this one. Your tedious name calling betrays a lack of objectivity and your opinions are not backed up by fact or logic. Instead when you are called out you try to shift the direction of the debate onto a tangent. Your dislike of Apple is known to be kind of fanatical. But you expect us to believe you own three Apple products?

No offense, Snips, but on this topic nobody takes you seriously.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  7. Snips

No problem ladies, I'll take photo when I'm home tonight to shut you all up. A photo of my ATi card as well if that keeps you happy Leveller.

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

I wouldn't bother mate, I don't think we care.

I have absolutely no problem with people saying they dislike one thing or another, backed up with cogent arguments. If you're just name calling and whining about something you bought (three times?!), surely the best thing to do was to not buy it in the first place? "Yeah I bought it, but I didn't like it....so I bought another one almost identical".

On topic-ish - has anyone seen the new Galaxy Tab 10.1? Looks pretty nice?

9. Snips

You're absolutely right Kempez but unfortunately because I have an opinion that doesn't sit well with others, it's become a bit of a pissing contest that needs to be put to an end.

I do feel quite annoyed by the fact that I have in essence purchased three differing in size identical gadgets were one can make calls and one has a larger screen and the last cannot make calls and has a smaller screen.

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

Understandable, but begs the question still: why did you buy them all?

I've got an iPhone and to me, it's the ultimate convergence device. I listen to music on it (a lot), watch films as/when I want, play games, email, surf the web, text and call. Oh yes, I also frequently use the excellent Google Maps app to direct me where I need to go. It does all those things and does them well. I'm not trying to use it for anything it doesn't need to be used for and it's very simple to use.

As such, I don't have an iPod touch as I don't need one. I do want an iPad, but cannot currently justify one as I don't have that much spare earnings (after new kitchens etc ;)). So I just don't buy one.

My wife has an iPod touch, but only because I got fed up of her stealing my iPhone/smartphone to play games on (I never understand how someone can play Cookie Dozer for so long!)

So yeah, it's all about appropriate usage in my mind. If you want a bigger device than an iPhone for sofa-surfing, email/facebook/twitter on the go and the odd word document, the iPad is fine. Anything else (or if you have a smartphone that does a lot of those), it's a luxury and a little redundant.

**Just re-read my comment above, didn't mean it to sound harsh by the way (it did though!).**

11. Nexxo

It is not your opinion that people have a problem with; it's the way you voice it. You don't like Apple. OK, we've got that by now. You struggle to articulate cogent reasons why not. OK, whatever. You make denigrating remarks to everyone who disagrees, questioning their sanity and their mental capacity. Getting tired now. The lady does protest too much.

Let the buyer beware. To make one unhappy purchasing decision is unfortunate. To make two is carelessness. To make three, well...

Never mind our sanity; you are obviously doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

12. Snips

[​IMG]

iPod was for my son. iPhone was a free upgrade and iPad was for my daughter.

I've used all three extensively and I have to say ladies, I'm not impressed.

So since I have an INFORMED opinion on these items, I can say whatever the hell I like. I'm not asking for your approval Nexxo.

(For the one who questioned the ATi owenership, just look at Little Sister)

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Sure you can say what you like. The way you do it however....

14. Snips

It's just text, the true emotion of the author can be intrepreted in any way by the reader. It's the readers choice whether they think it is positive or negative comment. The author cannot and should not try to control that.

15. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

The only thing I've seen people do on these is play games. And sometimes browse the web. I don't get it.

16. kempez

kempez modding again!

So the answer is: don't buy one ;)

I've seen people use them to take notes in meetings, play games, browse the web, email, listen to music and watch movies. We've even tried to get Citrix/Windows working properly on one....it doesn't because Windows isn't a tablet OS ;)

I wouldn't mind replacing my old school paper pad with a tablet for work, but can't justify that...yet ;)

17. Nexxo

If you have an INFORMED opinion, you are not sharing it. All I read is: "Apple is crap, and you're all sheep if you don't think so". End of discussion.

Well, I have an iPhone and an iPod, so I guess that makes my opinion equally INFORMED. But somehow my INFORMED opinion is that of a mindless sheep, while your INFORMED opinion is that of an INFORMED user. Doesn't add up, no?

So you have whatever opinion you want. (it's a free world after all) and we will have ours. Everybody happy.

18. Snips

Again, I wasn't asking for your approval nexxo.

19. Nexxo

No, you're asking for my agreement, and get all sulky when you don't get it.

Here's how it works: you voice an opinion; people agree or disagree. In this case we disagree. That is not the same as disapproval; we just don't think about things the same way. We can have an (informed) debate on why, or we can let it go. It's no biggie.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2011
  20. Snips

I couldn't give a toss whether you agreed or not. I won't loose sleep over it.

While I agree it's not all doom and gloom over on planet Apple, it ain't no utopia either.

Tags: Add Tags