1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mirror's Edge 2 cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2011.

1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I had no interest at all in Mirrors Edge until I played it just before Christmas at a friends. While I did find it a bit disconcerting to play, I enjoyed it a lot so bought it when I saw it in the Steam sales. Admittedly it current languishes in my 'need to download' list, as some SimBin titles and a few Indie games have been sucking my gaming time up. Pity about this, but perhaps it will give them the chance to explore another new IP? The less Eternal Franchises (TM) that fill the gaming world, the better.

2. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

They released the Time Trials DLC, which for me was the best part of Mirror's Edge. I loved the geometric asthetics of it compared to the vanilla release (though if wikipedia is to be believed, the DLC doesn't work on the Steam version). The story of the original let it down, as did the poor and unnecessary fighting/FPS elements of the game. The free running part made it a fantastic release. Even the 2D iPad version was really good as a 2 player game.

Really disapointed by this news. EA are doing an exceptional job of dropping the franchises I love

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  3. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

NOOOOOOOO!!! One of the best games I ever played. Ever. Just heart broken :/

4. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I was really anticipating that one :(
    I guess it's a lame excuse for not having enough resource to work on Battlefield 3.

Eventually a sacrifice for a better cause.........

5. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

The first Mirror's Edge was worth $5-10 for me, but was wrought with a lot of design flaws, oversights and a story that felt thematically underdeveloped and devoid of real drama or character. The game could have been so much more, but the level design wasn't always able to live up to the parkour mechanic's potential, and it feels to me like more energy was spent on the game's visual style than it was on real gameplay depth. While I'm upset that there won't be a sequel, I can't say I'm surprised. DICE are talented people and I hope their talent goes towards something more viable.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

remember getting sick playing the first one.. l dunno what it was about that game- get nausea xD could only play in little bits at a time

sliding down buildings was fun though

7. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

viewbob possibly, alot of games make me feel yuck :\

and noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

really liked the game, alot of cool elements that could of been expanded apon

8. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

The battlefield series of games and it's millions of fans disagree with you.

Bit buggy, bit glitchy, yes. Insanely fun, also yes.

9. Action_Parsnip

I was with BF2 from launch week. It was never all _THAT_ bad. By the time it got to version 1.2 it was pretty stable too.

10. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I got it on a steam sale, played a little bit and lost interest. Did anybody else think those cut scenes were ads for Esurance?

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Came free with my gfx card, I was disappointed with the lack of a 3rd person perspective - then again there may be one and I never noticed.

Problem with EA is they have only managed to understand the easy kill, and not every franchise is a success on the first release, or more specifically the people that decide what to buy and when.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Whilst that was the case with BF2, 2142 was a totally different story. It's still the most disappointingly buggy and un-polished game I've ever bought.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Mirrors Edge is a game I thought was a bit meh when it first came out. But when it was cheap in a steam sale the Christmas before last I bought it and loved it. It's one of those games that you think is going to be crap but is actually bloody fantastic.

EA suck btw, but not as much as Activision do.

14. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I first played this ona console at an EA event in Trafalgar square. I couldn't understand the controls and couldn't get anywhere. I skipped the game at first, but bought it in a Steam sale later on and absolutely loved it. It takes a little getting used to (having momentum in a 1st person game) but once your moves start flowing it is awesome.

15. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I played through the first one until you get to the part where ninjas (or people that look like ninjas, anyways) are chasing you, at which point the ridiculous timing required took me right out of it. Throwing combat elements into the game instead of trying to make it into an open-world freerunning simulation was a poor idea, every time you have to go toe-to-toe with enemies it feels like the flow is broken. Awesome concept, poor execution.

16. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, really disappointed this isn't getting a follow up, one of the best games i have ever played. It only sold poorly because of bad reviews at release, many of which were retracted after the reviewers had spent more time with the game. I thought ME 2 would be received much like Assassin's creed 2 was, the perfection of a game concept that wasn't done quite right in the first version.

17. Action_Parsnip

Ahhhh. I got bf2142 from EA store a little while after it came out. Played like 10 maps then uninstalled. People were right in what they said: it really had lost a little of that BF magic. Never played it long enough to notice the bugs :D

18. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

All they had to do was remove the combat from the game, develop the story further and improve the level design.

By doing those 3 things it would have been one of the best games ever. There is so much potential in the Mirrors Edge gameplay but it was bogged down no doubt by idiot execs insisting you couldn't have a first person game without a gun.

I was really hoping for a sequel that fixed the issues I mentioned but I guess we will have to wait for a better economic climate.

19. joplin66

joplin66 What's a Dremel?

Its always a shame when these things happen but this is nothing compared to the unfinished masterpiece that is SHENMUE.

20. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

By disappointing I assume they mean it didn't have online multiplayer and the capacity for a ton of expensive DLC. Really sad to see this incredible IP go to waste, I hope they come back to it in the future.

Tags: Add Tags