1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mirror's Edge 2 cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2011.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Mirror's Edge had a bit of an iffy story, some dodgy voice acting. I've always considered it a game that was lacking 'something' that would make it truly great.

That said, I still think it was one of the best games I've played and I would have definitely bought a sequel if only to see what it would be like.

Boo EA.

2. HyBry

HyBry What's a Dremel?

I could actually agree with this. I found the combat very much forced, and considering how many people I ended up killing, no wonder I was enemy number one.

And the red tip-of system could have used an imrpovement. I ran past many elevator call buttons and small items just to get stuck for a while.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Cheap ass! Hehe, I'm quite happy to pay decent money for a decent game. I'm only ever bothered by a game's price if it doesn't live up to my expectations when I actually play it (looking at you, Quake Warts...)

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuu... EA

5. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

+1 for 3rd person! If there had been a 3rd person mode i would have played. I thought free running in first person was horrible.

6. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

That's what I loved about it - they spent time polishing the gameplay, which is the core gaming, and not wasting too much on getting high-end voice talent, and wasting tons of time on cutscenes. Thought I disagree with you on the story.

Strong female, realistic character, beautiful art direction, and some of the most original and excellent gameplay around, with little hand-holding. It was just fun to play for no other reason than its mechanics.

Oh, well. More brown military shooters! MOOOAR!

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

A shame. I loved the 1st one. Lots of projects getting shelved recently. I'm just glad portal 2 has made it!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so true. well said.

let's hope EA puts the art directors to good use, to lighten up other games.

9. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

I'm willing to bet that EA/DICE wanted to make the sequel a AAA-game, and for that money, the bean counters said "Nay."

That was what I loved about ME, it was a single-A game from a big developer, raw gameplay, no ******** extended cutscenes or expensive Hollywood actors or spending thousands of hours eyelash rendering.

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

shame the first game was realy cute looking

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

12. Glitch

Glitch What's a Dremel?

Bad choice. Was looking forward to it alot. If they just kept working on the atmosphere of the game. Clean, open, colourful environments etc. music by DJ krush, could have been brilliant.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for some sailors.

14. Mightysi

Mightysi What's a Dremel?

NOOOO! damn you EA.
    I loved the first game, it was so different to the never ending stream of FPS that we get these days. (which are mostly all the same as far as I'm bothered)

15. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

ME was OK in places but it wasn't half as good as I was led to believe. And the graphics were a bit dull IMHO.

I wasn't that impressed with Oni either :blush:

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Game put on hold, not cancelled I heard ...

Damn shame too, the first game was great.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Real shame, Mirrors Edge was sunk by reviewers who thought they were playing Quake. I didn't pick up a gun until about 2/3 through the game, and then only used it to snipe people in the distance.

If they had ditched the ability to weild guns completely, I think it would have been recieved far more positively. EA gave me a free copy, but I'd have hapilly paid for it. True the story wasn't great (and the ending with positively anemic) but it lots of fun to play and the sense of movement simply hasn't been achieved from a first person perspective before or since.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Mirrors Edge was one of the most overlooked games of recent times; great concept, great gameplay (could have don't with less combat though), great style, bloody loved it.

I do hope they do a sequel at some point, it would be a real shame not to.

19. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Aye. That's what annoyed me about a lot of the reviews - "GAME IS FIRST PERSON, BUT NO GUNS! FAIL. ALSO, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT FIRST PERSON PLATFORMING DOESN'T WORK AND CANT' EVER WORK." And then you can just picture them crossing their arms and pouting for the rest of the review. And then whinging about how it doesn't have multiplayer.

God forbid they ever experience something new. I remember one guy bitching about there being a blue tree in the game (I have never seen that tree, but that guy must have a stroke when he plays a fantasy game.)

People whine about endless military shooters, but always line up to buy them. But they also whine more about things not fitting into their neat little boxes.

I think there was an appropriate amount of gunplay, and it was done well - ie, guns were a pain in the arse to use, and should only be used sparingly. I thought the weakest part was the quicktime events of disarming. I think "reaction time" was shoe-horned in to compensate for the limited window. They were actually going to give Faith a pair of pistols, but I'm glad they ditched those; otherwise it would've just been judged a shooter with platform elements.

The story was a refreshing change - saving your sister instead of saving the world - it's a very feminine storyline. Personal.

I also wish I paid more for the game. It's rare that that happens.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv What's a Dremel?

2 words

F U ea

Tags: Add Tags