1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LG announces world's first 3D smartphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I'd estimate around 25 minutes battery life unless you have to lug around a car battery with you :p

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'll be honest and say I just don't see the need for a 3D smartphone. Saying that I'm not particularly interested in 3D TV, gaming or cinema.

4. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure you'll have a full hour of 3D recording fun. :blush:

That being said, I do wonder whether it will be blurry 3D videos like the ones you shoot with all the cameraphones right now.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What OS? Will they be doing a 2D version? This looks like a load of balls to me!

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Care to elaborate on that statement? A lenticular screen produces a stereoscopic image by presenting a different image depending on viewing angle. It's very sensitive to viewing angle (hence why it's much better suited to a personal device like a phone - which is most likely to be viewed by one person, straight on, from a limited range of distance - than a TV which is likely to be viewed from a much wider range of positions), but provided you're in the "sweet spot" (or one of several sweet spots) your left and right eyes should see different images and you should get a true stereoscopic image, so why can't it make images appear to pop out of the screen?

7. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I really don't see the need for a 3D smartphone at the moment, maybe when the technology has improved and truly is amazing 3d then might be an interesting gimmick to have.
    For people who do everything, and i mean everything on their phone, it might be a worthwhile 'feature', but for most it would be practically useless.

They are just trying to cash in on the 3D craze at the moment, and being the first phone with it, people's interest is peeked thus making it easier to take their cash monies

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I'm a supporter of all things 3D ...

But this just makes me frown and say 'Why?'

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Come on bit, you're publishing the wrong news. What you should be publishing is PORTAL 2 ON PRE-ORDER!!!111

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Watching the BBC footage earlier, it looks like Android but I'm not certain. You couldn't see anything outstanding but the presenter did say it looked ok but the question everyone seems to be asking is "Why?"

The normal Optimus is a Windows Phone 7 or a version of the Optimus using Windows, which is pretty good I hear.

The real question should be "With a name like Optimus, will it turn into a truck?"

11. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

I think its running Android, I dunno this is actually the first 3D device that Ive found quite interesting mostly because (as mclean007 pointed out) your face is close to the screen so it is easier to be in the "sweet spot" for viewing the 3D, also with the camera being able to film in 3D and apparently an app that links straight to youtube 3D for viewing videos/uploading your own videos, I can see this picking up a good following of creative people having fun with it.

Just as long as the battery life doesnt suck and they don't end up charging a fortune for it!

12. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Meh, im not buying into this whole 3D hype. NEXT!

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

This has been doing the rounds for a few weeks now. It's only recently that LG made it 'official'.
    The OS is indeed Android (there are other phone OSes? ;P ).

While I'm not too fussed about the 3d, unless of course it can play 3d Films. But the rest of the Specs are pretty good however I was under the impression it was a duelcore 1gig OMAP not a 2gig chip?? It's a toss up between this and the LG Optimus 2X which has a tegra 1gig duel core in it.

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

And the point of a 3D phone is?

15. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Not really bothered about the 3D but the phone looks great.

16. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

but can it play Crysis .......2 ?

17. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

Unless LG has come up with some innovative battery technology that provides vastly superior life, this thing is gonna die pretty quickly. And while the whole novelty of 3D on your phone would be exciting for a bit, it's not often that you would be able to take advantage of it. If you were to watch a film in 3D, you would surely want it on a large scale, because 3D is all about the "immersion into the content" and that, for me atleast, is going to be difficult on a small phone screen. And how will it look when you inevitably get a scratch on the screen? A scratch on screen looks terrible when trying to view one image on it....

18. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

While I commend you for making less of a fuss than the BBC, I still don't get why this is even making the news. Stop the press! Toshiba has taken some technology that has already been used elsewhere and put it in a phone!!!

Seriously, this isn't an innovation, it's just applying a relevant technology. I mean USB3 is a good idea, but if I decided to use it for the first time in closely related area (eg printers) I wouldn't expect to make the news...

19. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

This may not be brand new, but it is new for a smartphone. So is the dual channel memory. You can switch between 2D and 3D on the fly, when in 2D you have the fastest phone on the planet (check the benchmarks) and when in 3D you have something that will be good to show off to your mates and potentially something quite fun to just mess around with. I can't understand all the negativity torwards things like this, no one is forcing you to buy it. If they'd released another bog-standard 4" phone with a tegra 2 CPU who would have cared at all then? But no, they've actually added something to make this product fairly unique. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The CPU is 1GHz, not 2.

A dual core 2GHz CPU plus a 3D screen on a phone with a 1500 mAh battery would mean something like 10 minutes of battery life!

Tags: Add Tags