1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve more profitable per head than Google or Apple

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2011.

1. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

2. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

By using my unholy logical sense, I can surely say that this is not possible and is a lie (like the cake). Earning money on PC games isn't possible since every single PC gamer only pirate games. Just look at Crysis 2! not a single one of you have bought the game, and yet it is all over the internet! you all make me sick!

3. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

well the portable part is just as impressive too, I went to a friends house a few weeks back for a few beers, mentioned ive been burning everyone as the pyro on tf2 lately, downloaded steam, log in as me, download tf2 and after a few more beers he's playing it/hooked :)

the cross platform part just makes it available, I just wish more games where cross platform, thats my only gripe (I run win 7 as a VM for some things but trying to get away from windoze)

4. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

For those that mention that Valve hasn't released Steams financial figures is because they're a private company and can do what the hell they like. It's privately funded (not publically) so they're not required to submit stuff for public scrutiny.

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

yes corporations are required to show basic earnings statements to the securities and exchange comision, and some public knowledge tax record stuff. This is so they can certify on a basic level it's not a front company or tax haven. If the company isn't traded then the information is pretty limited, I think there's lots of ways to balance the books to hide or deflate profits.

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

also, one thing would valve please let the user control the location games install too, it can be quite annoying sometimes having to reinstall steam just because you want to move your steam apps to a different hard drive then copying over 100+ gigs of files.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Exactly, allowing Steam to be installed on one drive (a small SSD) and the game data to be installed on another drive (F3 1TB Spinpoint) would be an excellent improvement.

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

I just install steam on my storage drive, you'd be running the games from a slower drive anyway, so makes no difference.

9. Snips

Right you are.

I actually installed just the games I'm playing now on the SSD, mainly CS:S.

10. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Give me a job Steam ;)

11. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Agreed. PC gaming was never dying. Just ammo used by console gamers to attack it and if Steam disappeared today I'd buy my PC games somewhere else. I wouldn't quit gaming on IMHO the best gaming platform. I don't mind sticking in a disc. It's really not that hard, I've done it for many, many, years. ;)

12. sofalover

sofalover What's a Dremel?

Moving your steam library, worked for me recently without having to download 100's gigs..again.
    http://www.gamerstemple.com/features/FRViewArticle.asp?ArticleID=849

Who can resist the allure of those publisher packs.

13. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Install Steam on the SSD and use "symlinks" to link to the necessary directories on the HDD. Works nicely here :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

14. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I feel the same. Gabe and his company really do a massive amount for the PC gaming industry like providing Steam, being an indie outlet, and using the PC as a springboard for new ideas, but also gaming in general. True pioneers.

15. Tech NoOb

Tech NoOb What's a Dremel?

Well in the UK we're ok. But in Europe the average price of a gameon Steam is 50 Euros, similar to the USA as I understand.

Steam sales are nice when they happen, but if you want a cheaper alternative you can also wait for a few months and buy cheap from Amazon; even if your in Europe. Or as alwaysyou can support your local shop. (But I have found the PC games section to be lacking somewhat at times).

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Yeah, there are workarounds, but it would be preferrable if you could rearrange the already downloaded stuff INSIDE steam.

17. Snips

Cheers dude, I'll check it out.

Tags: Add Tags