1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla's Paul Rouget fires a broadside at IE9

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Feb 2011.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't think I use any Feature of modern browsers that Netscape didn't support apart from Tabs, and they've no real value either.

I guess Tab-peeling is turning-a-tab-into-a-window right?
    Yeah, that'd be usefull.
    If I could show two tabs next to each other that would serve the same purpose though

2. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I think this is probably because a lot of users don't know what a browser is, they see the big blue "e" and assume thats the only way to get to the internet.

I know that microsoft have added in the option to choose a browser in windows nowadays but users will still go with what they know rather than what is best for them.

Personally I use firefox, don't know what I would do without all of the addons I use on a daily basis

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

people who have problems with ie are visiting sites they ought not to, tinker with bits they don't understand, or use crappy(poorly coded) toolbars and addons.

4. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Which is a clear indication that there is no such thing as swarm intelligence for human beings.

Your argument is of the kind "People, eat crap - millions of flies cannot be wrong!"

And now go back to your duties, padawan.

LOL! I am taking this the only way it can be reasonably taken: As a joke. Good one!

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I can't argue with that, it is my opinion... but it's also the opinion of 30% of the worlds web surfers who tend to be people who know what to look for in a browser and know that Firefox ticks their boxes better than IE does. In case I'm not being clear, that's the most polite way I could think of to say "People who know what they are doing".

I would tend to disagree with the statement "IE is still the #1 browser" because it's only the most popular and not necessarily (in my opinion nowhere near) the best, and to go even further than that, it's only the most popular because Microsoft strong-armed companies like Netscape and Opera around 15 or 16 years ago, putting them out of business by releasing IE for free with their Windows operating system, which by that point was already the most widely used computer OS in the world and was well on its way to putting other software companies out of business as well. Don't get me wrong, my opinion of Microsoft is still largely good - after all, I buy, sell and use their software on a daily basis but I choose not use their web browser because there is what I believe to be a better alternative.

So to sum up, most of us know that IE is crap and most of us are open about it. Some of us also know that it's crap but are in denial because it has "Microsoft" written on it (even though it was originally written by Spyglass) and some people just think it's great. Which category you fall into is entirely up to you, but I made my mind up in 2004 and I haven't changed it since.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Chrome Cheesecake!

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

not all the 30% with firefox know what they are looking for in a browser, they have just been told they should use it, without a full explanation, or which addons are required to make it secure.

8. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

In addition to make a library of 1500+ bookmarks, why don't you try opening up 1200+ tabs just like what I do everyday and see how fast it runs. Opera does both easily for me here and it usually runs trouble free for weeks (my laptops usually runs 24/7) hehe :naughty:. But I must admit Mozilla Thunderbird is better than any other free e-mail clients out there, at least in my own opinion :D.

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Maybe this is a little off topic, but I'm hardly the first, so....

Haven't used IE properly since 6 when FF didn't work with everything. Been using FF since version 1 and largely happy. I use FireFTP, Adblock Plus and the British English Dictionary.

I won't consider Chrome, because having looked at it briefly I vehemently disliked it, but more importantly Google are evil and their browser was definitely less security conscious last time I looked.

To the several people running Opera, based on the above, please pitch me it - I'm intrigued....

10. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

I don't hate IE, in all honesty I think it is fine for the average user. I personally use Opera, but that becuase I used it years ago when it had features that no other browser did and found them useful. When I do have to use IE, I don't moan about it quite simply because there is nothing to moan at about - it displays web pages.
    I just think people think its cool to hate Microsoft when in actual factor a lot of what they make it top notch stuff.

11. Neophyte4Life

Neophyte4Life What's a Dremel?

How did i not know this? No more right clicking for me! Kind of reminds of when I learned about lazy unmounts. Haven't had to restart client daemons since. :)

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I think in "actual factor" what you'll find I wrote is that my opinion of Microsoft remains good, I just prefer to use Mozilla's browser over theirs. I don't think it's cool to hate Microsoft, just like I don't think it's cool or justifiable to hate Apple.

13. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I've tried them all, settled on Firefox. Once you start using all the plugins it has like Session Manager and stuff, you'll never look back. I found Chrome to be slightly faster (by like half a second or so), but I didn't like some things about it and it missed a lot of the plugins I use for FF that I can't live without now.

14. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Firefox - cross-platform (Linux-Mint / Windows 7) and it has the wonderful Firefox sync!!

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Between NoScript and mouse gestures I'm not sure I could ever use a browser other than Firefox. It changes the experience.

16. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

IE is the hummer of internet browsers; big & gaudy, eats up precious resources and is, for some unfathomable reason, incredibly popular

Chrome is my current favourite, I have found it to be the fastest to load (Firefox's greatest fault is it's load times) and I have always found tabs in Chrome to be easier & faster to use than those of other browsers.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  17. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Probably true while browsing, but startup times vary incredibly between the browsers and how quickly you can get onto the web has a huge impact on your overall experience. Whatever a browser's other advantages/flaws, I feel that the one that gets you surfing quickest will always leave the best impression.

If you consider market share to be the ultimate measure of quality then the top 3 browsers in descending order are IE8, Firefox 3.6 and IE6. Clearly bad news for microsoft that their latest browser is worse than IE6.

At the end of the day you should choose your browser based on the one you like the most, not by looking to see what everyone else is doing

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh No! What what will you ever do? It consumes a mighty 16MB out of your 1TB HDD, and oh no 100MB of your RAM out of your 6GB. DAMN! Imagine what you can do with that much resources gained.

Please, this is the silliest argument I ever heard. It was valid back in 1995-2000, but now resources is not an issue anymore. The problem now, is that software don't take advantage of our computer. FINALLY web browsers can use our GPU.

Chrome consumes more memory and CPU than IE9 and Firefox 4. So I just voided your first argumentation completely.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

not to mention googles penchant for recording usage information along with ip addresses etc

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I wish companies would spend less time criticising competitors' products and more time improving their own.

Tags: Add Tags