1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphic cards: format changes over last six years

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnutonian, 19 Feb 2011.

1. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

Possibly a(nother) retarded question: have AGP graphics cards standard formats changed? Does anyone remember?

I'm asking because I got a new motherboard and the old GPU is too big. I built the PC originally late 2005, and was of course quite confused that my perfectly working GPU suddenly doesn't fit anymore (no HDMI = no connection to the TV :().

The mainboard is a regular MSI miniATX, the same size as the last one except for 1mm in length and 2mm in width. The graphics card doesn't fit by at least a full centimeter (neither does another one I tried).

So yeah: am I going insane or do I just need to get with the times?

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

:D

There is no AGP anymore.

gnutonian likes this.
  3. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

It probably needs a PCI-E card?

gnutonian likes this.
  4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

What exact model of mainboard is it? Its normally PCI express now for graphics cards.

gnutonian likes this.
  5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

you sure it does have an agp slot and not a PCIe x16 slot?

gnutonian likes this.
  6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

[​IMG]
    Graphic card connector has changed LONG LONG time ago. In 2005, most motherboards features PCI-E 16x.

PCI-E is a new "universal" port if you wish to consider that way.
    Where you plug a GPU, or a sound card, or anything that is marked PCI-E. What I am trying to say, is that today new internal components (sound card, TV-Tuner, graphic card, etc..) all share the same connector. Graphic card no longer has a dedicated plug, like in the old days (AGP for the graphic card, and normal PCI for the rest).

The reason why we mention "16X" next to PCI-E, that is because it's PCI-E 1x, repeats 16 times, therefor the length of the connector is longer.
    Like so:
    [​IMG]
    All Graphic cards are 16X.. hence they fit in the 16X slot only.. the others are too short for it.
    BUT, nothing stops you from attaching a PCI-E 1x or 2X, or 3X or 4X or 8X card in the 16X slot. Basically, if it fits... it will work.

To understand the following paragraph, you need to know what SLI and Crossfire means.
    SLI and Crossfire are technologies by Nvidia and ATi, in order (SLI by Nvidia, Crossfire by ATi).
    This technology involved in attaching 2 or more graphic card on the same motherboard, and have a link bridge connector to, well.. link them, like so (2 cards):
    [​IMG]
    or (3 card)
    [​IMG]
    allows the graphic cards to work together and provide superior performance.

There is an interesting point, on motherboards that features SLI or Crossfire support, but the motherboard chipset doesn't fully support it, where the PCI-E won't go at 16X full bandwidth speed, but rather 8X when 2 graphic card is attached instead: The second PCI-E slot is the same length, but the pins at the inside is only 8X. This is done because: as all graphic card are 16X, having a real 8X PCI-E won't fit... so to make it fit, they provide you with a 16X length PCI-E connector.. but only has pins attached for 8X. The results is that it won't be able to go as fast... but it will work. This is great if you don't have top of the line graphic cards, but instead mid range models, that doesn't actually push the 16X lane to it's limits.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2011
    gnutonian likes this.
  7. gnutonian

Thanks for the replies. It's a lot more clear now.

I should've gotten the hint not seeing "AGP" in the BIOS. But I did see "PCI-E". Well, my own fault for not keeping up-to-date! Back in my day, things were different ;)

Now get the hell off my property, you damn kids!

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Only if you rep all of the posts that you found informative.:thumb:

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i was going to role play and say 'up yours old man'

gnutonian likes this.
  10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

France is still in the AGP era, huh

gnutonian likes this.
  11. gnutonian

:hehe: My girlfriend's visiting her family in Britain, and I joked to her on the phone that she was in the past. But yes; hardware-wise, I've been living in the past. Can't blame me, it's inside them metal boxes 'n sheet, innit!

I can't explain how stupid/amused at myself I feel on this subject. I just can't believe it changed that much and that I failed to notice. Then again, I'm obsessed with software (must be free, as in freeeeee-dom! *raises fist and sings*) but never think about hardware.

I'm well behind the times.

Also, GoodBytes, rep has been given. I clicked on the thing with this clicky-thing called a "mouse" (spelling?) to do it. It's rather odd. When the hell did people stop using tabulators?!

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

We have magic boxes that dance the internet through the air to computers now. No wires! ;)

gnutonian likes this.
  13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

This thread made me lol :)

14. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

What, like "thay may take our drives, but they'll never take our freeware?"

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

back in the days, this was an awesome setup.

i wonder why they decided to stop using the raised fan of 8800Ultra? it is a very innovative design decision for SLi setups.

16. gnutonian

I will have you know, young man, that I am the proud owner of no less than three (hah, "<3") wireless devices! All three of them are tuned to my favourite AM radio station.

Free software as in free speech, not free beer - so it's more like "they may take our drives, but they'll never make me shave my beeeaaaard" ;)

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Ultra's are one off's... only ever seen when there is a big leap in architecture and technologically.

Still nothing has shown such a jump as 7xxx to 8xxx nvidia's as far as i know.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Been a while since I've been called that. * doffs hat *

* sniggers *

19. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

gnutonian, have you not seen Braveheart then?

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

hahaha what a great thread :thumb: