1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - FINAL STAGE

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by aquatuning, 14 Feb 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowyOwl

SnowyOwl What's a Dremel?

you just push the two tabs and slide it in or out and it locks into the slot you see on the top

2. SnowyOwl

You just push the tabs with your fingers and slide it in or out then it locks into place in the top slot you see.

edit: please delete double post ??

3. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Hey SnowyOwl? Sorry to put this out there, but when I try to bring up the larger version of the pic of your drivecage I get tons of hits on my AVG web virus scanner. It is reporting that the whole domain "googleusercontent" is suspect. You might wan't to check that out....

4. SnowyOwl

I checked at home and at work and no problem..?? Is there somebody else having the same kind of problem with this pic?

Ixmatal i saw on the Render gallery that you are using Solidworks and Maxwell any advice or tips on how to select and assign texture to faces in maxwell studio it seems i can only select body...or i don't know how to select face.

5. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

SnowyOwl - There are 2 ways to use Maxwell with SW, either export to a supported file type or the plugin.

I haven't tried the export process, I use the plugin.

I have the tools slider open and the maxwell tab open, with the bottom panel open to the mxm directory. I just highlight the faces like normal in SW, then just drag and drop the material I want from the slider pane. After everything is assigned, you just hit "render scene" and the plugin exports the scene parameters and geometry to Maxwell and starts the render.

Make sure you have all of your settings in place though, otherwise you -will- get unexpected results.

I will try the export process tonight and see what I find.

I am not getting the antivirus warnings tonight, dunno why :shrug:

Last edited: 23 Feb 2011
  6. SnowyOwl

Here's another shot with the bend part and the flat sheet under.

[​IMG]

7. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Hey Snowy,

After a lot of playing around and some researching into the workings of Maxwell this is what I came up with:

The answer to your question is not straight-forward. Basically Maxwell can only select contiguous tesselated geometries and as such it doesn't recognize "faces", this is regargless of whether the file/scene is exported by either the plugin or file type.

So if you were to save your object with each individual "face" set as a separate object, then you could select individual faces within Maxwell studio. You can see the obvious problems with that approach.

If you have the plugin for your modeling App ( and there are a ton of plugins ) then your apps native selection capabilities work just fine like I mentioned in the last post. This definitely works best. If you have a good processor and turn the settings down, you can get good test renders in about 5 minutes, So the transition between the render window your app is pretty seamless.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I don't want to be pessimistic, but it's been 2 weeks and still no input from phobya :confused:

Or maybe everything's done by PM, which I hope for the final contestants, but there's only 2 weeks left and it is very very quiet here.

I think that the hard work put in this contest deserve more returns from Phobya.

Edit : this last point only involves me, but to my mind the final five shouldn't work on manufacturing details such as (how and where every single piece should be bent to make the final part). This is a design contest, not an engineering contest. Their only concern should be : Phobya can make it or Phobya cannot make it ? Is it expensive ? The manufacturing details, to my mind, are out of scope.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

AMEN!

10. GuilleAcoustic

Sorry, I'm maybe a little upset. But this makes me feel bad to see how much time and work were put in all those designs, and how few feedback (if any) we got in return.

I'm very disapointed, and I'm almost happy that I'm not among the final 5.

Sorry guys, you did put an enormous amount of both time and energy. I just can't keep my mouth closed when I see how it turned. You deserve a lot more ! :miffed:

EDIT: This is not turned against BT nor Aquatuning who made a good job at supervising and organising this contest. I onyl though that Phobya would be more involved in this contest.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  11. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I'm pretty sure no one is getting PMs. I know I'm not.

I'm not surprised at their lack of involvement, frankly. It's been that way all along, why should it be different now? And if I understand correctly, this contest was mainly bit-tech's idea they pitched to AT/Phobya, who maybe just went along with it.

At this point, it sounds to me like they're not willing/able to invest in making a really professional-quality commercial product. Something that compares with Silverstone, say, or any of the other big case manufacturers. The manufacturing options being limited to basically cutting and bending metal supports that notion. No injection-molded plastic parts? That says to me they're not really serious about design. Don't misunderstand me - you can build a perfectly functional case without any plastic, but it's going to be limited aesthetically to looking like a piece of industrial equipment, rather than something that belongs in a living room (just MHO). If they want to make Mountain Mods-style cases, that's fine - I'm sure they'll sell a few. But that's not what I designed.

It seems to me what they should do (IMO, for what it's worth) is contract an experienced case manufacturer to develop and build their cases, rather than just going to some general purpose machine shop.

Personally, I don't really have any emotional investment in this contest, so however it turns is okay with me. If they're unwilling/unable to make the effort to participate in this process and to develop a really first-rate product, I'm sure not going to go out of my way.

12. GuilleAcoustic

You're so right about emotional investment, but I can't help myself, I always put to much of myself in everything I do.

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

For the guys that don't win, are you able to pitch your designs to other case manufacturers? I would love to see all these cases produced.

14. Razer2007

I am going to build it myself sometime.

15. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I have to admit that it is a little disappointing to see that everything basically came to a stop.

However, I wouldn't be so fast to place blame, we all know that life has a way of interfering at the worst times, and this could be one of those times.

If the thread still doesn't have any updates by the sponsors two weeks from now, then by all means - " have at 'em " as it were.

16. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I agree with ixmatal. I know Ive been insanely busy. Between work, getting ready to move and other side projects I haven't had time to even look at my design for more than 30 mins. If there is NO feedback by then end of the stage then I will be a little disappointed but thats life. I know if I had to go through and scrutinize every component of 5 different cases and complete my normal duties, I think it would take me more than two weeks. Before we all go pointing the finger of shame, lets give them some time.

If nothing happens by the end then point away :nono:

17. SnowyOwl

Off topic but still talking about design

Attention!! Attention!!..... to all Design & Car Lovers who read this thread a new design competion is open to you....yes yes it's true you can design a car and you have until june 1 2011 to submit your entry. You wont get a car if you win...but there's money for 1-2-3 winners.:lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2011
  18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

My design has been refined and handed over to another BT/LOSIAS member. They will build it soon, keep an eye out!

19. Razer2007

OOh can't wait to see that!

20. GuilleAcoustic

Same for monolith, I've shared the su file with a BT member. Feel free to ask me if you want to build it :) :dremel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.