1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Is it me or are there more idiots on the road?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 18 Feb 2011.

1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Fixed. :thumb:

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

*loads rifle* To arms...

3. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

All drivers are cocks.

You, me and them, everyone.

It's made worse by the fact that 90% of folks think they are abover average drivers Illusory superiority

So the guy in front more thank likley thinks they are an above average driver. So does the 80 year old 20mph guy, a 19 year old boy racer thinks that as well. And so do you.

It's that arrogance that causes problems. You (and them and me) think we are right and we are better.

I've got news for you.
    You're a crap driver, every one on the road is.

And that upsets people. Folks get so upset when you say thier driving isn't great. It's like an unwirtten tabboo. Screw hiw wife, BUT, Don't critisise a guys driving.

Every driver on the road is a liability, including you (and me). And having the arrogance to assume that you're better is dangerous, the whole "your brain is writting checkes your body can't cash" thing.

I think it is quite nicley highlighted by the fact the first post had a guy speeding up when he overtook, and the 23rd stopped a guy overtaking by speeding up.

Drivers suck.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You can point to statistics all you want, but i KNOW I'm a better driver than everyone else. :geek:

:D
    *grabs coat*

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Agree.

I know I suck at driving. I don't own a car but have to hire a car once or twice a year for going to conferences or meeting people. If there's anyone else who's going with me, I'll gladly let them drive!

And thank Christ for GPS!

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I am a driving God.... before I got my driving license or drove a car, at the tender age of 17 I took part in a social Go-Karting event with the guys I worked with. They all had been driving for many years, all of them boy-racers with their RS Turbos and the like.

I kicked their arses in the heats an totally embarrassed them in the final.:rock:

Your argument is invalid!!:D

Last edited: 21 Feb 2011
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Aman to that. i've got an AA atlas as backup, but i've relayed on the Satnav out of so many sticky situations, i think i got my money's worth of it.

Go kart is a whole lot different to actual driving. i was awesome when i was 12. then stopped, and learnt to drive when i was 17. after 2 years of driving, went for a go-kart session and came last. kept trying to find the gear stick, and confuse left peddle for clutch. then also going around corners too slow due to driving habits, then find the go-kart doesn't have enough power to go fast in straights, due to lack of gears. :duh:

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Satnav? Never appealed to me TBH, never found myself thinking 'wish I had a satnav right now'.

Getting lost is fun anyway, I've found some nice places getting lost. Actually, not getting lost, just taking the non pre-determined route to my destination. :)

9. sofalover

sofalover What's a Dremel?

To summarise, any one going slower than you is a ******, as is anyone going faster. And you feel it is your place to police this situation by blocking traffic should anyone wish to overtake.
    There is only one ****** in this tale. :thumb:

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Overtaking with nothing behind you and seeing your rear view gradually get full in a matter of seconds when you're doing 200kph+ on the Autobahn and you really don't mind pulling back in to let them fly by.

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Bring back the Tufty club ..
    Defensive driving unfortunately seems to be the only way to drive safely these days, being a ex biker I am used to looking that bit further down the road for miopic arses and dangerously stupid giddy teenagers oh and the angry middleaged fella who is getting a rough time at work (yep usually the Audi)

We have all been cut up, annoyed and placed in a dangerous situation by the selfish actions of other road users, if we stoop to their level though, it would double the amount of arseholes on that stretch of road at that given time, take a deep breath let them pass etc

If you have to really think can I make it ?? ..odds on you wont be able to safely.
    Know your limits and always add in the dick factor for other drivers.

Keep it shiny side up and happy motoring

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Ride*

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Doesn't that just mean you're a more talented racer? I think different people have a different definition of driver, of good, and what constitutes each. Speed limit !=Speed Target, by the way. Folk have slowed down not just because they're lazy/lost/sightseeing/old/infirm/mental but also, interestingly, cause it's mostly cheaper to drive at 50-60 than it is to drive at 70-80. That's not defensive driving, that's eco driving - someone coined the term quite recently but folk with slow thirsty diesels have been doing it for a long time. When it's £1.30 a litre now but less than 2 years ago it was £0.89p a litre, some of us feel the pinch & drive according to our pocket rather than just other road users. Hence I should really change my name to mini_ed, seeing as the landy became too expensive to run anymore and got sold on. :sigh:

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

thats not what i said. :thumb:

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Im a terrible driver i agree everynone has a certain level of arrogance about it but im not afraid to say im a terrible driver

Not so much im generally as in dangerously bad but im just lazy and would rather get from A to B quickly rather than sit back making sure everything i do is perfect, whhen parents or older family is in the car i tend to clean up my driving just to give a more pleasant journey when its just me its sloppy and includes alot of rough acceleration and dodgy gear changes

Don't get me wrong though as i said my driving is far from perfect even when im trying!

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Fixed again. There are a few c-units round here that drive Golfs that think they're Stirling flippin' Moss.

17. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Heyyyyyy, I drive a Golf! :miffed:
    I love it, so much extra car than all my friends' cars, relatively cheap to run and insurance is decent. The 1.4L engine could do with some extra grunt, but the size of the car is very reassuring on motorways.

Just done a CBT, bloody hell. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to drive a car, but so much less interesting. Car drivers have it so easy (and boring).

While I do think all car drivers should do a CBT to get a sense of perspective, I also think the CBT should be a lot more demanding, or at least be broken into two parts. The only reason I can feel confident going on a bike now is because I've got a year and a half's experience behind a wheel, a spotty 17 year old who's never been in control of two or four wheels before being let loose after only a CBT is frankly downright worrying.

18. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

I find bad driving most annoying when I'm cycling (although I don't drive yet, so can't really compare) - if people don't indicate clearly, for example, you can't get out of the way quick enough on a bike.
    Once, I was feeling rather over-confident, and I said, probably louder than I intended 'Indicate' as someone drove into a road I was on, requiring me to back up rapidly. The next minute, I heard a loud growling noise and the man was pretty much jumping up and down in fury. It was quite comical actually. Apparently the man in question is known for knocking riders of their bikes and scaring horse riders.
    Rant over

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

You should have just slammed the brakes on as soon as you got past them, that'd learned them.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Insurance? Upkeep and maintenance? There's a lot more to the cost of a car than the cost of the actual car.