1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Switch Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wilkyboy, 23 Feb 2011.

1. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Hello, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out without confusing myself with all the different kinds of Switches/Access Points/Repeaters etc.

Basically I have the following set up in my house:

Downstairs I have a wireless router connected to the internet with homeplugs set up to feed the rest of the rooms in my house.

Basically what I want to do is set up a switch (Or whatever the product I need is) in my room upstairs as the wireless signal from the router downstairs is pretty weak.

At the moment I have the homeplug in my upstairs room connected directly to my PC which obviously works fine, but when I use wireless devices like iPods, iPhones or Laptops upstairs my connection is rubbish!

What sort of product would I need to setup in order to take the LAN coming from the homeplug upstairs and turn it into another WiFi hotspot and also be able to still have the wired connection to my PC.

Sorry if I have over complicated the problem but I have been confusing myself scouring the web looking for answers!

Thanks for any help!

2. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Its not that complicated, you just need a wireless Range Extender of any brand,like this ones

http://www.ciao.es/D_Link_AirPlus_G_DWL_G710_Wireless_Range_Extender__690477

Try to set up the Extender in an open room, not to much walls between the device and the second floor. You should know that because it is a repeater, the overall performance its not the same as if you were directly connected to the router, if the plan its gaming, then forget about it (even wireless directly connected to the router sucks for gaming).

wilkyboy likes this.
  3. wilkyboy

Thanks for that mate, I'll be sure to check one of those out!

4. wilkyboy

Hi again!

I was talking to my housemate, and he told me that there could possibly be a way to set up a spare router we have to act as a kind of switch in order to solve our problem (So we wont have to buy anything).

Is there any way of setting up our Linksys router in this way:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crude MSPaint mock up, I just couldn't find a way of describing it without it getting confusing!

Thanks!

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Don't get a range extender. Some times they have problems. You know the ethernet port works, get a wireless AP or similar, fixed first go.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

yes you can use a spare router but make sure you disable DHCP on the router you want acting as the wi-fi AP

you cant use 2 DHCP servers on the same network

7. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

YEs ofc its possible, and given you have a spare router its the best solution, just connect the second router instead of your PC on the second floor, then connect everything on your second floor to your new router and you're done

8. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

Depends on the router, I couldn't use mine for example as it does not have a LAN input as it's a modem/router.

I've got an extender set up for my Squeezebox music streamer, works a treat now it's configured and has been steady for a couple of years. Had loads of grief with wireless security when getting it set up originally. YMMV depending on the model you pick - I did mine on the cheap.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

doesnt matter the reason you diasble DHCP is so you can use it on the same network making the router nothing more than a switch with wi-fi.

the way you mention is by using a normal router and using the WAN input to have 2 seperate networks so your main network effectively becomes the internet access for all devices connected via the 2nd router

thehippoz likes this.
  10. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

Good to know, thanks :thumb:

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?