1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin 100MB Service, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom @ CCL, 22 Feb 2011.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I wouldn't chuck or sell the router they give you, just stick it in a drawer. They will not support you if you have problems unless the supplied router is used.

The worst case scenario is that you have to plug it in to allow them to test the line, the best part is that you have a spare to find out if a problem is your own router or the line itself.

My ISP (BE) are quite candid about this. They say you can use any router you want, just keep the supplied one for any troubleshooting. They will aslo charge me if I leave and don't return the router.

I would expect VM to do the same.

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Also the superhub, they collect if you ever leave unlike all the other routers.
    So you'll get charged if you don't give it back.
    They no longer supply a stand alone modem for 50mb.
    Everything above 20mb gets the superhub now.

3. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

They've always collected routers and modems around here - they either arrange collection or send a return envelope.

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I did have problems with there d-link routers so I called customer service and said I needed the Superhub as required a 100mb/s line to connect to work (not true) and they sent one out. Using it or the last week or two and its pretty good. Also you don't have to have two boxes (modem and router) as this is Both built in one.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

doesnt the superhub have a cable modem built in, so cant be swapped for standard router?

6. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

If you upgrade from 20 to 50 or 100 can you still use your original modem?

I have considered upgrading but being forced to use Virgin's own hardware chills me to the bone.

Plus we have many old modems lying around.

7. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Yeah the superhub is a cable modem/repackaged netgear router all in one.

When I upgraded from 10 to 30mb they said I had to use the superhub as the standard cable modems don't work.

If you really just want to use te superhub as a modem and use your own router then you can by putting the superhub into bridged mode so that it simply forwards all traffic onto your own router.

I've been using the hub now for a few weeks and it works a dream. I did have a problem with slow web pages but that was easily fixed after 10seconds on google. There's a lot of support out there for it.

Also the wireless is fine both my pc and mac have wireless n cards and I get my full 30meg speed and about 100mb when transferring files between computers.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I'm currently on Virgin 20Mb, cable modem that goes straight into a Draytek Router, I've been put off from upgrading as their Superhub (which would replace my current modem) appears far from being super. It doesn't support Dynamic DNS or dial in VPN or VPN LAN to LAN.

Popcorn, are you saying that if I use Bridged mode then I won't lose the use of Dynamic DNS or dial in VPN etc... that my Draytek gives me?

I'd love to go to 50Mb but if it makes my Draytek redundant then that for me would be £130 down the pan. A pretty expensive paperweight :wallbash:

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The comments section of the Register article I linked to earlier is full of people moaning about the "superhub" as it appears to be a long way from being "super".

Bridge mode is one of the complaints, it appears it can't work in this mode which would negate using your own router.

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

Spoke to VM yesterday - to upgrade to 30mb - and *fingers crossed* I will just be getting the cable modem. The person I spoke to said they should still have them available, and whilste all new customers on 50mb+ are getting the superhub after talking to her for a while she agreed to put on the work order that we will be getting the cable modem. Phew!

11. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

With virgin media cable it doesnt have a huge impact on how far away from the exchange you are.

12. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Bridged mode should be possible, however fingers66 said it's not. I've not looked into it for the superhub so can't confirm 100%. However, as fingers66 comment said. You can put the ip address of your own router into DMZ mode and forward all traffic onto it. I work for BT part time and we do this for business customers wanting to setup their own kit. Our equipment just gets used as an adsl modem.

It would be good to give customers the choice of what they want to do. But I can understand VM doing this. It makes troubleshooting much easier.

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

^^ Bridged mode is currently not possible. Still no word from Virgin when this might be added in, so I will be holding off upgrading from 50Mbit to 100Mbit until this is fixed, as I like having my ClearOS box with an external IP.

14. B1GBUD

I'm not sure I want to take the risk until it's confirmed, admittedly my IP has changed twice in about 3 years but the VPN/WoL is a must have. Not only that, as it's a Netgear router, they are so full of holes it's unbelievable.

http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=Netgear

15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I look forward to seeing what you get. I called them to upgrade a couple of weeks back and was told I could get 30mb but I'd need the new hub thing, so that's what I've got... and a renewed 12-month lock-in on the contract.

I don't foresee switching to another company ever but it's annoying to have the new contract forced on me.

16. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yes, new 30, 50 and 100 Mbit/s services should be provided with the superhub as the old ambit modems won't work on DOCSIS 3.0.

17. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I'd be surprised if you get what they say you will. We got sent a D-Link router a while ago because our Netgear was faulty. The D-Link was so crap I sent it back and said "can I have another netgear please?". The Indian woman said that she had marked the order plainly with "Netgear" and that I would receive the Netgear model.

A few days later another D-Link router arrived.

18. B1GBUD

I thought they did DOCSIS 3.0 modems on their 50Mb service when it was 1st introduced, but they say they don't have anymore modems and all future upgrades will only get the Superhub.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just thought I'd pop my head in here, as I'm one of the few people to get these speeds. If you can afford it, get it.

Getting a sustained download speed of 10MB+ in Steam changes your world. When Empire Total War takes less than 30 minutes to download, everything seems more accessable...

The problem is that if you then have to use normal internet it seems cripplingly slow. And you will realise a lot of online services aren't designed for users with these speeds, like my connection (according to speedtest.net) should give me 20-30MB/s in apps such as Steam, but their servers limit you.

20. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I find gamershell's servers always max out my connection (though i'm 'only' on a 50Mb line). Is your avatar seriously your connection speed, 725Mbps!? Thats like 90MBps. Ludicrous.:eeek: