1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin 100MB Service, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom @ CCL, 22 Feb 2011.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

B1GBUD when saying a particular brand of router is full of holes, try searching other brands as well

http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=D-link
    http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=Linksys

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Wait, the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem doesn't have bridged mode?

Well, there goes my 30mb upgrade (for now).

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It's the max I've ever managed on my connection, I tend to get 200-300 most days...

4. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I upgraded last week to the 30mb.

The service was excellent. I was told that the hub would arrive within a few days and it turned up 24 hours later. It was very, very easy to set up and quick to activate and the speeds have been exactly as it said on the tin

[​IMG]

Only downside for me is the upload speed isnt quit as much as I would have hoped for.

5. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

They did roll out the DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the 50 Mbit/s service for 18 months, but now the superhub is out, they only install superhubs.

Anyone upgrading to 100Mbit/s with the original DOCSIS 3.0 modems still end up with the modem being switched out for the superhub :grr:.

6. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Do you think that they're rolling out the superhubs to make it easier in the near future for IPv6 support (on Virgins part)? Seeing as DOCSIS3.0 was designed with that in mind.

I'd imagine that Virgin would want the same kit to be rolled out to all customers to ensure that the transition to IPv6 is handled the same across the board. It must be a nightmare trying to troubleshoot and support customers with different equipment.

7. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

This might be true since none of them ever changed the router. Though I'd say it still reflects bad on the company.

8. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

is this about the router provided by sky ir virgin? same question when it comes to T&C

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

skys router isn't all that good, but their t&c's mean you cant swap it for one you want, unless you want to be cut off if your caught out, there is however nothing sdtopping you buying another router and attaching it to the sky router.

virgin on the other hand, as a cable service provider requires specific equipment, which are not easily available, so you are again tied with what virgin supply you, but again, you can add another router.

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Standardisation is what they are aiming for, to help simplify support. Not too sure about the superhub running IPv6 - so far they have not released any details about support for IPv6. I understand IPv6 is more CPU intensive, so I would hope they have made the wise choice and got Netgear to make a device that'll handle the extra load...

11. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Wow, 100mbs, although that is way more download speed then I'd need I'd get it for the supposed 10mb / 20mbs upload alone. Upload to me has always been more important as I like to run game servers, need to upload files for work ect.

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The only reason I singled out Netgear was because that is what you'll get if you go for the superhub. I'm not trying to bash netgear, I know D-Link & Linksys have their problems too.

You probably haven't read the whole post as you'll know I'm using a Draytek, and if you've done your homework, you'll know they're pretty secure.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i have read the whole post, and whilst it is true that at the moment draytek routers don't seem to have any issues at the moment, they will be found. the point i was trying to make is nothing is perfect.

anyway, if you want 100Mb cable broadband, you have no option but to use what virgin supply, as it is difficult to purchase docsis3 cable modems, let alone convince virgin to activate one on their network.