1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Looking for advice or recommendations on buying a Net/Subnote/Notebook/Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Totoro, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm looking for advice or recommendations on buying a Net/Subnote/Notebook/Laptop with a 12"-14" screen for use when I'm out of the house or can't be bothered to use my desktop (Mac Mini) & I have a budget of £300-400 tops.
    It will be only used for surfing the web, playing YouTube/catchup TV (in HD if possible), Word & listing to a bit of music.
    Any help would be appreached.

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I just got an Acer TimelineX and I'm very happy with it. I bought the 11.6" version but they also have 13" or 14" versions that are around that price.

3. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

HP DM1Z or the new Lenovo X120e - both are AMD fusion netbooks with 11.6" screens, with the capability to play 1080p video. Fits into your budget also.

4. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

Thanks klutch4891 for the reply, you don't happen t have a link for the one you brought if it was online?

5. klutch4891

The DM1Z is pretty nice, and probably a better build quality; but I wanted the more powerful processor. To be honest pretty much anything in a laptop that isn't an Atom can play 1080p videos without an issue. I even streamed some 1080p from my NAS and it played perfectly.

6. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies, that's the kind of advice I was looking for, so I should stay clear of atom & its AMD & VIA equivalents, I know at that screen size 1080p is pretty pointless but it is nice to know that it can.

7. klutch4891

Didn't see your post before. I bought the 11.6" i5 model, but they also have an i3 or i7. There are also 13 and 14" versions but i7 isn't an option on those sizes. I think you can find them with dedicated graphics cards too (as long as you aren't in the US). The model number on those just has a G at the end, such as 1830TG (11.6") or 3820TG (13").

I replaced the wireless card and bought an SSD for mine and at idle I get about 9.5 hours with WiFi on and screen brightness at 30%.

8. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, sory about not replying to this post, had been a little busy with cycling.
    But I wanted to up date this to say what I brought, a 1st gen ipad when they brought out #2 for about £300 & it dose every thing I want it to do, & to say thank you to the people who posted.
    Thank you.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
  9. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

I've got a Dell Inspiron Mini and it's a brilliant little thing.