1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows USB Drivers

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Yewzorz, 1 Mar 2011.

1. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Hey all, sorry that I only come here when I have a problem, but I'm out of the technology loop atm (as I don't have cash).

I have recently had some problems with my iPhone, that resulted in me locking up all my USB ports, then fixing them. However since I've fixed them. my webcam and new iPhone don't work.

Windows sees an iPhone is connected USB-wise, then tries to search for a driver and never finds one on the net, or on my pc. Same for the webcam, however it finds one, and says it was made for Windows 95 or later, then decides it doesn't want to use it.

Thanks all.

2. f300

f300 What's a Dremel?

What version of Windows are you using? Did the webcam need drivers before, if it did try downloading them from the manufacturers website.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

What motherboard do you have, and what did you do to fix it?

4. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replys guys.

To fix it, I pressed F8 a lot during startup, and used the last good configuration, and then removed the software (iRecovery)

The webcam is a Microsoft Lifecam vx5500, that comes with some drivers on a disk however they are already installed on my PC, and when directed to the file where they are, wondows doesnt make it work :( NB when I use MSN, it seems to get the video from my webcam when it was trying to take a picture. However how Ive broken MSN too, and cant sign in :(

My Motherboard is an ASUS p5k premium wifi ap, with a Intel Q6600 (basically CPC's reccomended gaming PC from a few years back)

My old iphone was recognised by windows and itunes evern after the Irecovery problem

Thanks, Yew :D

5. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

AS further information, for the iphone, it cant find a driver. but for the webcam it says that an error occured because it was written for windows 95 or later

6. f300

f300 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried uninstalling the webcam in add/remove programs, then reinstalling it?

Could also try this from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

7. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that, ive done a few usb devices, however it just wants to fix more devices it cant find drivers for :/

I think the problem is in findign the drivers, not in getting to reinstall them

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i've seen this before, and from what i can work out, its either worn usb ports or plugs

9. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

the problem its in your registry, when you conenct a USB device windows needs to know that the drivers are under /windows/system32

Sadly i cant remember the damn entry right now :wallbash: but I will update this from my home

10. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried here?

you may have to use the -overall switch when installing Intel chipset drivers to make sure all possible drivers are installed and you're not left with microsoft ones.

I noticed a while ago MSI released a patch for it's USB so that it could be configured to give enough power to an ipad (or an isomethingorother) but you couldn't plug any other USB devices into the ports while this was plugged in.

11. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Okay, When I can, I have some ports on an expansion board ive never used, ill try those :)

12. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Okay, I see the website, but have no idea what updates i need to download :/ I have tried pointing windows to search in the system32. but for the webcam it finda a driver and says it cant read it, and the iphone it cant find a driver. and wants me to insert the disk from the manufacturer, but it doesnt come with one :/

13. Deders

Deders Modder

The Chipset drivers are for your motherboard and USB ports.

Could you give us a list of the make and model of the equipment you want the other drivers for?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2011
  14. paisa666

15. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

16. paisa666

alright my friend, then the problem you're having its that windows doesnt know your drivers for USB devices are in the windows\system32 folder... Pls follow this steps

In regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

here, go to the DevicePath item, right click and EDIT

In the edit textbox, Add a semicolon ";" to the end of the existing details. Then add this path (NOTE: Pls do not delete was is currently wiritten there):

%SystemRoot%\System32

So the final string should look like this ( what you added its in bold):

%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemRoot%\System32

Hope this finally solves your problem :D

17. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

Aha paisa, thats worked, however now I have a new problem :(

"windows found a driver for your device, but encountered an error trying to install it

apple mobile device usb driver

the system file cannot be specified."

18. paisa666

hum, I supose that's refering to your iPhone?

try reinstalling iTunes, iTunes comes with the drivers needed :)

Cheers

19. paisa666

Hey man... its everything working fine now???

20. Yewzorz

Yewzorz What's a Dremel?

It was, but its gone again, the registry seems the same, but my iphone isnt happy (and its a digital still camera now, im sure my old iphone was a usb mass storage device?)