1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Good luck with the project Attila, I'll be watching closely ;)

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Yeah I think I know who you're talking about, his work is terrific. Unfortunately I cant use that stuff because all the alu will be anodised. It will look fine when all finished. Thanks. ;)

Haha welcome aboard John. :)

Thanks. :)

Thanks mate. :) Yes you can probably tell that I'm not overly concerned with corrosion. I've worked on many cars over the years and most have mixed metal cooling systems. I've seen what tap water does to the system. The pick-up I've been driving for the last 13 years has a cast iron block, an alloy head and brass radiator and heater element, Bi-metal thermostat etc. It's always been topped up with the green stuff and is still in excellent condition. There are some very good anti corrosion additives out there and I just have to use some.

Thanks a lot brinkz. :thumb:

I may as well include this small update here as I showed a pic yesterday.

When I need to make small parts I always turn to the offcut pile under the bench. These pieces are from the base plate of Na'ir. 8 mm thick.

[​IMG]

First, a corner is cut out and filed square. Then the shape can be marked up against this reference and cut and filed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then mounting holes are drilled into both the tray and the corner brackets. The tray has 3mm holes for the M3 screws to pass through and these are also countersunk. The corner pieces are tapped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very strong and rigid now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to this part will attach two of the three main bulkheads. But I'll leave that till the next (first) update. :)

3. awratten

awratten What's a Dremel?

Yet Again, Great workmanship. I can't wait to see the end result.
    Who knows could be this years MOTY.

4. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

Attila = sub'd!

Looking forward to this one. Great article in Custom PC btw.

5. lucasrubini

lucasrubini What's a Dremel?

I love these metal works, especially those using thick metal pieces (I don't know why...). Yours is looking beautiful!

Where do you find these standoffs online? Tks

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yes, awesome cornerpieces. Much better than the standoffs made from threaded rod that I suggested. ;)

Now, tell us all, please, how you file the edges in such good looking 45 degree angles. Surely, this can't be done using just a manually operated hand file?

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Absolutely awesome sturdy supports & I forgot to comment about the custom pc feature, it was awesome :D:clap:.

8. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Love your work do you shape most of it by hand?

Cant wait to see the rest of the design.

Mark

9. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

QFT :)

And amazing work as usual!

Last edited: 2 Mar 2011
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

D**************mmmmn, baby! -This has, 'motherboard as frame' written all over it!

Ethylene Glycol has a down side. It works great to prevent boiling over in a high temp system, but when added to a pc system, it raises the temperatures. It also attacks polycarbonate. I learned the last on the hard way.
    TL;DR= EG will overheat a rig. Use it sparingly.

11. lucasrubini

Hi there,

Where can I find the standoffs you're using online, do you know?

Thanks!

12. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Impressive, as usual!;)

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :) I haven't seen the mag (not available here) so I'm glad to hear it's OK.

Thanks. :) I bought those from a local electronics shop. Online? You'll have to look.

Thanks. :thumb: Haha, yes it's done by hand, is very easy and very quick. 45 degrees? not sure, I just took the corners off till it looked OK.

Yeah thanks, that's two thumbs up for the article so it must be good. :thumb:

Thanks. :) And yes.

Thanks murtoz. :)

Haha, don't get too attached to it. I've just made a re-design and the tray is going on the pile under the bench. :hehe:
    Yep I'm going to experiment with anything I can find and there is always the option to swap out the copper parts for alu as a last resort. :thumb:

Thanks again nagy. :thumb:

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They look like they've been taken from a previously used case, but you can also order them from here (I dont know of any hardware/modding shops in Brazil)

15. lucasrubini

Yep, it's hard to find those things here in Brazil, but I have some americans relatives that can send them through USPS :)

Thanks Mankz

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I am really considering to make a alu case. Great deal of my inspiration for my next project come from your projects.

Kudos :D

As a matter of fact, you can go to the "Santa Efigenia" street to get those. They have plenty of those things in the transversal streets. Not exactly sure where...

17. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

wow that is amazing work! Could you please write a handbook or something? I'd definitely be the first one to get myself a copy! Really want to learn a lot from you. :)

18. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

WOW... i see another "case of year" coming... :rock: :jawdrop: :rock: :thumb:

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah I'm still not up to the challenge of grand file master Attila :lol::D:thumb:, but it's not just the workmanship that goes into his projects, the designs are incredible also :clap::rock::jawdrop::hip: oh & the never ending quest for sheer perfection :hip:.

20. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yet another A* project in the making :thumb: