1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Changing motherboards for i7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by happyhammer7, 3 Mar 2011.

1. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I am changing over my motherboard from a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R to Sabertooth X58 for my i7 due to never ending issues with it. What I want to know is I have a system image back up of my current O/S. Would I be able to restore this image to the new motherboard and carry out a "Repair" using the windows recovery disc?

Thanks

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

There is only one way to find out.

My X58A-UD3R has been fine... well, apart from my hard disk some times fails to work, but it is a IDE slowly dying hard disk.

3. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Yea no problems here with that board except for some coil whine which I can disable apart from that it’s an excellent board that overclocks very well.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No issue here, but I have the UD5, which is essentially the UD3R but with a different CPU power system. Sometime, my computer doesn't wake up successfully, but that because it's my Creative X-Fi sound card driver sucks oh so terribly. If I remove the card and uninstall the drivers.. that problem is solved.

Whine issues are actually common to X58 boards.. it's Intel circuit design for the power management fault.. it's out of the motherboard manufacture hands. Gigabyte find a workaround via BIOS, which helps reduce the issue significantly. They are releasing BIOS update for all X58 boards. Alternatively, disabling Intel C1E (which is the stupid power management unit) and let Windows Vista/7 manage the power instead, resolve completely the problem, without any downsides.

5. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

What problem does the OP have with the board?

The Sabertooth X58 is a excellent board, but it would be a waste as it is not much different to the UD3R in terms of features and OC ability!

6. Deders

Deders Modder

If it's the same chipset then i don't think you'll need to change anything, the chipset drivers will be the same, only the vendor specific hardware and software will be affected.

Might be worth doing a backup if you have the space, just in case but they are both X58. I'd probably re-install the chipset drivers too just in case there are any slight differences that I can't account for but it should be prety painless.