1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Killer gaming WiFi adaptor released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Mar 2011.

1. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

There's a difference between frequency and bandwidth. The frequency is the centre frequency that the signal is modulated about (somewhere 2.4-2.5GHz in this case) and bandwidth is the width of the channel within that (20MHz for b/g, 40MHz for n).

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@tad2008: Seriously ? It is technically impossible for this thing to be any faster than any other 802.11n card.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well lets hope that there is some form of truth to this unlike their over priced doesnt do a **** of difference lan network cards. :)

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Wouldn't this card be reliant on you having an equally good wireless router?

5. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Yes seriously, lol, most of us here know that not all hardware is equal and some is simply not worth paying over the odds for, false and often exaggerated claims, marketing ploys, etc

Afterall, it's not just about pure speed, surely it's about having a high or at least consistent throughput, especially for games vs multimedia streaming or web browsing. If all hardware was equal then we'd all be using the same products made by one manufacturer, now that would be a dull world indeed!

Yes I'd rather have a wired connection than wireless anyday and onboard Lan connections suffice for my needs but my needs aren't every ones.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

n is not in the 2.4-2.5 range.. we used the same router for both tests- I know n is faster because it runs in the 5k range =]

we were expecting the higher power would always win considering it was using the same freq.. not bandwidth but latency related, I know what your saying but it was to the exact same g wireless router- so all I can think of is the b/g/n card either has better drivers written for it, or the hardware is changed like killer is claiming here

or another possible difference was the antennae we used- it was really interesting to see

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I wonder when they'll release the Killer Networks Power supply. It optimizes current to help your components perform so much faster.

Or at the least, I wonder why Monster hasn't taken into the PC market yet. I'd love to see a $499 500W PSU and $65 SATA cables.

8. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I want to see a bit-tech review about this, compare it to Intel's Wi-fi and show us the difference... If it's worth, I'll buy it, if it's like their lan port, they can forget my money

9. turbobeta

turbobeta What's a Dremel?

Why don't they make enterprise hardware? Because their product is snake oil.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

So you replace the network card in a laptop with this? Its actually tempting to do this as my, father, mother, and sister's laptops all have G-cards.

Edit: seems there are two models. One that has N up to 300mbps the other 450mbps. Interesting.

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Wireless gaming, yea I heard you can get wireless food too now...

12. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

lol wireless gaming, how about use a cable.

13. Christoburg

Christoburg 3 Projects in the Pipeline

Hmmm. But 5 x regular transfer speed? That's quite a claim.

14. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Actually they have been proven time and again to work, it's also been proven that they miniscule increase in stability is not worth the cost unless you happened upon one for free.

15. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

RIP OFF!!!

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i use an intel ultimate n 6300 in my lappy

17. Rezident

Rezident GFWL failed

Is there any truth in their claims or is this just marketing? There must be something behind it, at least theoretically? I have to game wirelessly and at times it is infuriating. I might be tempted... :worried:

18. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Nope, Dual Band N uses a frequency that is in the 5Ghz range, in addition to one at 2.4-2.5Ghz. Hence it has a max theoritical throughput of 600Mb/s, it's using 2 channels. Standard 802.11n runs at 2.4-2.5Ghz.

As for the card itself, it's probably decent as a wireless card goes, but nothing I would shell out big money for, and certainly not for something with as much snake oil attached as this.

Tags: Add Tags