1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad 2 launched - iPad prices cut

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 3 Mar 2011.

1. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

If I was a billionaire possibly.... but I guess I'm saving my funds this year for an NGP and whatever the best smart phone is around the time my contract runs out in November and I can finally go back onto pay as you go.

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Still a little too expensive for me and I would really only use it for DAW control, in which case a touch screen is cheaper. I'd like some more hard wire connections as well.

Acer makes a 23" touch screen for pretty cheap.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Not that impressive on upgrade point of view. I may pick up an iPad 1 for £300 though.

4. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

To be honest with the market share apple have in the tablet market they can afford not to do to many changes to the ipad. If in the next year there competitors bring out devices that challange there market share we might see a big jump in what they add or make. But until then it will always be small upgrades.

5. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Hopefully I can steal one outta someone's backpack when their not looking, go pawn it off and use the money to get an ssd for my pc.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ha ha! My brother managed to sell his iPad for £350 the day before they went down in price! He'll be getting an iPad 2.

For those naysayers: the ipad is actually pretty nifty. Too expensive for my tastes but hey.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

snap :)

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Im selling my 5 Ipads and buying 3 Ipad2s

9. quack

quack Minimodder

There simply is no competition in the tablet market. The iPad has it sewn up, it has apps by the bucketload and that's all that matters.

There are rumours of the iPad 3 coming sooner rather than later, so I think I'm just going to hold off even thinking about buying one until then. I might actually be able to afford it if I start saving now.

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

iPads are too expensive for a man that has 3 GTX580's, I like your style! :p

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You'd better believe it baby! :D

12. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

as an ipad 1 owner I see no reason to upgrade at all. reminds me of the iphone 3gs release in that it is just not worth the money to swap;

and to the nay sayers, i am not a fanboy of apple I would never buy a mac over a pc, i use both Win 7 and Ubuntu at home and own a netbook. i much prefer for quick browsing to fire up the ipad then the netbook and i let my 3 yr old play with my ipad where iw ould never let him near my computer.

I always liken my Ipad to a kitchen blender - great to use but you dont need it and some people will never understand what to do with it.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

I'd love one, but not for twice* the price of my Netbook.
    Which is a tad slower in responsiveness (but not in actual workspeed) and has a tad less battery life (~8 hours of couch-surfing compared to ~10hours) :D

If the price for the 1 comes down a bit, I'll get one.
    I can always use the card-reader in my netbook to stream my pictures to the IPad then :rolleyes:

*Just checked, the Ipad1 32GB is still on this pricepoint.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Preordering as soon as I possible can :D

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If you are interested in getting an iPad , I can get hold of them through a contact. The numbers are limited and he has 10 iPads going for less than half price – it’s first come first served. He has already sold one (pic is attached so you can see what you are getting – they are from a cancelled NHS contract due to the cutbacks). Get back to me as quick as you can if you want one.

Scroll down to see the model:

[​IMG]

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Is that what they mean by 'Retina Display'?

...I'll get my coat...

18. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I read up on the iPad often, but still think if i had the money, i'd spend it on a decent netbook.

19. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I no longer need a tablet computer, because I got an app on my iPhone called Mobile Mouse which lets me control my PC wirelessly. It's really good and easy to use. I originally wanted a tablet so I could browse and watch films and listen to music while I'm sat up in bed, but now I can do that easily. I output my PC on to a big HDTV and now I can sit up and use my phone to control the actual PC. I couldn't ask for anything better.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, I'm in my local Apple shop typing away on an iPad 2. Same as its predecessor, basically, but thinner and lighter. Although objectively it is not much lighter, subjectively it makes all the difference.

The back camera is disappointing. Too low res --you can actually see the pixelation-- making the digital zoom pretty much pointless. I would say it is almost the same as the front-facing camera. Shame.

I cannot see a difference in speed but there is not much on the demo model to tax it. Otherwise it is same old, same old. Still a very slick package, and still without viable competition.

Tags: Add Tags