1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VIA announces 'world's most power-efficient' dual-core CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Good... power efficient... but can it play crysis????

3. paisa666

Seriously now... I see this is great for battery life in some gadgets!!... plus the fact that is x86 means we could see new netbooks with windows/linux platforms??

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Portable battery powered 3/4g router? Oh... wifi tether you say?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

both intel and amd could make a cpu as power efficient as 1W if they wanted to stoop to a frequency as low as 500MHz. but with windows 7 out, they realize they can't do this and expect to get sales. the eden will be great for linux based systems. since via is pretty cheap, i might consider searching for a netbook with an eden cpu in it. i'll probably want the 1ghz model.

6. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

Or Tablet, with the continue growth of that market a low power CPU would allow a bigger screen or thinner unit. you decided.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I've stopped caring about via, they've been So promising yet no actual products on shelves. Unless this competes with AMD E350 in terms of performance I couldn't care about it.

8. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

ARM defo has a better architecture then this... they're English, so they must be best. <-- this is a logical assumption

javaman likes this.
  9. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

I lol'ed :p

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

4 years post-release and people are still first-posting and threadshitting with this crap? I know nerds are usually on the downswing-side of the humor hill but Crysis jokes were old when David Carradine died.
    [/rant]

This processor is a really attractive device for embedded systems and the rapidly growing tablet market. Dual-core, x86-64, AND 40nm sounds like they got the design right - can't wait to see some real-world tests against its ARM and other competitors.

red4our likes this.
  11. paisa666

Yes we Do

12. amdavies

amdavies What's a Dremel?

I just want a cheap (c. £200) machine capable of running a Linux distribution while consuming less than 5W+storage, surely that's not impossible to ask ?
    Unless I'm missing an option ?

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Dude. Don't **** with our Crysis jokes.

;)

14. leeroy

leeroy What's a Dremel?

Carradine is dead, when the f*ck did that happen?

15. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

The CPU is not the only power consuming element in the computer. Sometimes chip set (North / South Bridge) consumes as much as the CPU itself. I doubt the TOTAL power consumption (sans storage) of the announced VIA Eden dual core CPU will be less than 5Watt.

In my lab I have one computer with the original Via Eden ULV 500MHz CPU, and the power consumption at the outlet without any storage is about 7-8 Watt.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Ya'll just answered my question for me, ty :)

Obviously the median age of forumites is 12 years old with a standard deviation of 4 months.
    Well, except GOO, but he's such an outlier he doesn't count XD.

The three people I quoted, I suggest putting a modicum of thought (or even Google) into your posts in the future. Otherwise you're wasting your own time (posting nonsense drivel that anyone who can tie their own shoe is smart enough to skim over) and everyone else's (by having to filter through your unintelligible nonsense in every thread)

Naturally these three are a drop in the bucket of pointless post offenders, but all the emptyquote "LULZ Cheesecake +++++REP" posts do nothing but bloat up server storage and make it harder to find posts with decent content.

Wait, I forgot to talk about how the French surrender, American's are fat, Germans are Nazi's, anyone from the Middle East or Afghanistan are bomb-strapped terrorists, and Japanese are all tentacle-rape hentai lovers. :rolleyes:

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

4 Years on after that joke and people still feel the need to dump on people who make that joke. At least they're trying to bring humour to the boards rather than angry rants from trolls. I've no idea who David Carradine is or why you felt the need to inform ignorant people like me he was dead, nor could I be bothered digging him up (on google) to find out.

Also this is not designed for embedded systems. This designed for general purpose computing ie your PC. I highly doubt your operating system is highly optimised with programmes specifically tailored for your exact set up. Embedded systems are simple devices that often repeat a simple task over and over, much like people posting asking will it run crysis.
    How does x86-64 and 40nm tell they have got the design right? surely the performance per watt is what decides if they got the design right? Intel atom Z6xx is a dual core, 45nm x86-64 processor yet it makes many people cry. Since ARM isn't in the x86 market I'm pretty sure they don't care how well this runs windows especially in the tablet market. Infact they probably laugh every time they hear the words windows 7 tablet and THAT is a far more painful thing to have to read about than some crysis joke made over and over.

18. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Zephyr, I agree with you that the Crysis jokes were stupid and should have ended years ago but lighten up. Rants take up server space too.

19. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

when i read "but can it play crysis?", i translate it to
    "I have nothing interesting or funny to say but i want my voice to be heard"

20. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

I agree with all that. However crysis seems to be held on such a pedestool that since it there has never been anything that people can use. The "but can it play crysis?" sentance will still be used for years due to this fact.

Tags: Add Tags